PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Power Tools Gone.....

David H Parker
06-05-2010, 1:37 PM
A year ago April I purchased a Steel City 35920 table saw from Woodcraft. Due to medical issues, I didn't get it assembled untill a few weeks ago.

After asking Woodcraft what happened to Steel City I got the awnser that they grew too big and too fast and didn't have the capital to keep up.

So, I guess it's the best kept secret that they're down the tubes. Scott Box has left to work for General Tools in TN. I guess it's been pretty quiet because of dealers still having large amounts of inventory...............

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated.

David

Bruce Page
06-05-2010, 1:54 PM
Not really new news.
You should still have a good saw that will last you for years to come.
I have a Unisaw that I bought over ten years ago. I have never needed to contact the manufacture.

Enjoy the saw

Van Huskey
06-05-2010, 2:01 PM
There have been rumors of their death for QUITE a while, not sure they are actually done yet...

Will Overton
06-05-2010, 3:03 PM
It seems like Orion (part of SC) is still providing tools to Sears and possibly the Ridgid table saw to Home Depot.

Matt Meiser
06-05-2010, 3:34 PM
Sounds like unsubstantiated rumor, like many that have been posted in the past year. I actually got the opposite answer from Woodwerks about 3 months ago. What I was told then was that they were actually getting things straightened out and that supply had been improving. Again another rumor.

Fact though, there's a 2010 flyer posted on their web site that was created on March 16, 2010.

Paul Ryan
06-05-2010, 6:59 PM
A lot of changes have been made at Steel City. But I would be careful taking a woodcraft stores word for the status of a manufacturer. There have been a lot of woodcraft stores that were very upset with steel city. If you really want to know I would call a store such as highland wood working that still advertises Steel City tools. Or call Steel City themselves.

Joe Wiliams
06-05-2010, 7:22 PM
This 'news release' is dated April 9, 2010...

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/newsreleases_display.cfm?section=4&release=87

Next previous release was October 2008.

Robert Chapman
06-07-2010, 9:45 AM
The Woodcraft guy in Detroit says that they haven't carried Steel City tools for over a year and that "as far as he knows" they are out of business. Too bad if true - I have one of their table saws and really like it.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Robert,

A quick Google search shows that Steel City still has an active website. I can't imagine a defunct business maintaining a current web site.

Folks you can do a lot of damage to a business by speculating about whether or not a business is still in business. Do a little research before spreading a rumor. In today's economic climate, it's not fair to a business for an unsubstantiated rumor to be spread.

Spreading unsubstantiated rumors is just gossip.....plain and simple. Gossip does hurt.

Please verify before spreading rumors.

David H Parker
06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. There is also another Steel City dealer in Saint Louis. He told me that Steel City (Orion Tool) is going to focus on supplying Sears. And that most of the dealers are gone. One person mentioned Woodwerks, they have eighteen sku's and half of them are for sandpaper and accessories, no table saws and what's left are slow movers.

If you go to Steel City's website they have a dealer finder, most of those dealers (mainly Woodcraft) are listed so it looks like they have a ton of dealers, but they don't carry them anymore.

I guess I'm just really disappointed, that's all. I'd hoped that they would revolutionize the woodworking industry. I really liked their concept. That's why I purchased their saw.

I really like my saw but the fence is another thing. I knew at the time it was a cheap fence, it is. You would think even at the bottom end they could have put faces on the fence. I took a dial indicator that was mounted on a block of wood, it fits the miter slot perfectly. I have over fifteen thousands run out on it. I guess you get what you pay for.

David

John Thompson
06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Most Woodcrafts have dropped Steel City as SC had problems in the re-organization months ago now. They let all the local reps go so there was none to call on the dealers. There was also a large problem as the company moved from Murfreesboro, TN. to Hayward, CA. It took many weeks for Scott Box and the guys in Mursfreesboro to pull replacement parts off the shelf.. tag them.. box them and then send quite a number of tractor trailers loaded to Hayward. Then those had to be unloaded there and put back on shelves in correct order to not have to re-arrange the entire inventory system. Machines were very slow to ship during that period also... So be it..

I ordered and got 4 sets of 8" deluxe double sided knives for my SC 8" jointer from Highland WW'ing several months ago. If you have that 8" jointer and you are worried about them you might do the same. But... I can tell you I just called tech support @ 877-724-8665 and customer service @ 888-304-8840 and got an answering machine as it was 10 AM EST and SC is now on Pacific time and not open.

I have had a SC 8" jointer.. 18" BS and 5 HP Industrial TS for well over 3 years. Since I retired in Oct. of 07' I have put a lot of mileage on all of them with 14 large carcass pieces. Not one problem and I don't expect any. Belts.. bearing.. etc. can be had even if SC were to eventually go down. But again.. if you are concerned and have that jointer with double sided knives and holes for the indexed pins inserted into the cutter-head so you don't have to align when you change blades.. call and get a few sets!

BTW.. as stated I wouldn't believe everything you hear from a WC salesman who might base their statements on partial truths. I can tell you that SC is not what it was IMO when the Box boy's were at the helm. I am a personal friend of Scott.. his brother Jim and his son Mike. I know the other partners also who are all working at the General International distribution center in Murfreesboro.

But.. as of this morning the phones are up and running. Common sense tells me if a business goes down so do the phones. So.. draw your own conclusions or just call those numbers after they open PST and find out for yourself in lieu of here-say. haha..

Regards...

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 1:56 PM
as stated I wouldn't believe everything you hear from a WC salesman who might base their statements on partial truths.

+1 & 1/2

My favorite response is "you can't believe anything you read on dem dare forums". Yeah, whatever the level of misinformation (especially what doesn't get cleaned up in about 5 minutes) is magnitudes less than you get from most WC sales people.

Greg Carr
06-07-2010, 2:06 PM
I just called the customer support number posted for Steel City and it was answered right away. I was assured by the woman who answered the phone that they are still in business contrary to the rumors on the internet. I am wanting to order a couple of items for my bandsaw, which I plan to do this afternoon when I have my manual in front of me. I will let people here know how it goes.

Greg

David Cramer
06-07-2010, 2:25 PM
The Woodcraft guy in Detroit says that they haven't carried Steel City tools for over a year and that "as far as he knows" they are out of business. Too bad if true - I have one of their table saws and really like it.

Are you talking about the Canton store Robert? Just curious as I know as a fact that the Sterling Heights store had Steel City bandsaws last November and it's not a rumor, I saw them myself. I went with a Rikon and the last time I looked the Steel City bandsaw was still there. I've never been to the Canton store, so I'm curious if that was the Detroit area location that you were implying. Thanks.

David

Paul Wunder
06-07-2010, 6:16 PM
A check of the IWF website shows that as of June 2, Steel City Toolworks will exhibit at the Convention in booth #5547.

I own a Steel City mortising machine and a Sears Craftsman zipcode saw. That is my only "business" connection with SC. I have also heard all the rumors and half truths, so my curiosity made me check the exhibitors list of the upcoming show.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for that firm. These are tough times and I like my tools.

Paul

Robert foster
06-07-2010, 8:20 PM
I believe that SC is still in business. I talked with John at The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines last week and he said they are still in business under new management ( man from China). He said that the same sales rep that went to them from Delta still calls on them. The also have several SC items in the store. A few months ago when I had a broken part in my SC drum sander I contacted them at a number that my distributor gave me and received the part free in less than a week. They have gone through some tough times as have the other tool manufacturers but from the best knowledge I have they are still selling machines. HOPE SO!
Bob

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Since the thread hasn't died I will go ahead and mention this. If you have "contributor" under you name there is a sub-forum you can go to on this site (bet ya many haven't even noticed it but its right there in the list) that has a thread with the "real" story about SC in it. Won't come up in a search you just have to look, but you won't have to look hard once you find the correct sub forum.

Robert Chapman
06-08-2010, 8:03 PM
David - It was Detroit store #310 don't know if that is Canton.

John Mark Lane
06-08-2010, 8:27 PM
Since the thread hasn't died I will go ahead and mention this. If you have "contributor" under you name there is a sub-forum you can go to on this site (bet ya many haven't even noticed it but its right there in the list) that has a thread with the "real" story about SC in it. Won't come up in a search you just have to look, but you won't have to look hard once you find the correct sub forum.

Very unfortunate. As an attorney often representing small businesses, start-ups and investors, I always try to stress the importance of being verrrry careful who you partner with...and having everyone's rights very clearly laid out, in writing, signed by all parties. Too, too, too many times, I have had to unwind problems that resulted from insufficient care at the beginning. And too many times I have seen someone get burned. It's a damn shame, but the world of money is a ruthless world, and you have to know how to play in that playground.

It's stories (and yes, rumors) like these that make me wonder about other companies...like Rikon. And thus, it's stories like these that hurt such companies. SCTW was no doubt a very promising venture, and a lot of people apparently took the quality of their product at face value. And Rikon....? How is it different?

This is why I so often want to stay with long time players, companies that have been around long enough, under the same ownership and management, to be fairly safe bets. I never thought I'd say this, but by now Grizzly seems like one of the best in the industry in that regard. And a handful of others.

It's tough for those of us who just want a decent tool to use. Why should we have to follow the machinations of mergers and acquisitions in the tool industry? It's too damn complicated, it's often hidden from us, and it's full of deception. Like every other industry. Corny as it may sound, I think that's the price we pay for free markets. Probably worth the price, since any of us can bust in any time. ... Anybody wanna start a tool company? :)

Mark

Will Overton
06-08-2010, 8:59 PM
This is why I so often want to stay with long time players, companies that have been around long enough, under the same ownership and management, to be fairly safe bets.

Fortunately not everybody thinks that way. If they did, every new company in an existing industry would be destined to fail. The existing companies would lose some of the incentive to innovate. That would be a shame.

Nancy Laird
06-08-2010, 9:02 PM
I really like my saw but the fence is another thing. I knew at the time it was a cheap fence, it is. You would think even at the bottom end they could have put faces on the fence. I took a dial indicator that was mounted on a block of wood, it fits the miter slot perfectly. I have over fifteen thousands run out on it. I guess you get what you pay for.

David

David, the SCTW fence that was on the display saw at hubby's store was the smoothest and best fence of all the ones there---you might have just gotten a bum one. Their fence beat even the Beismeyer all to heck.

Curt Harms
06-09-2010, 9:34 AM
<snip>
This is why I so often want to stay with long time players, companies that have been around long enough, under the same ownership and management, to be fairly safe bets.
<snip>

Mark

And who would that be? Right now, Grizzly does look like a good bet. In 20 years, who knows? Not long ago Delta & PowerMatic were worth a premium because you knew you could get parts for 30 year old machines. Now? not so much, Delta especially.

David H Parker
06-09-2010, 8:19 PM
Again thank you for all your replies. I sincerely apologize if I have upset anyone. That was not my intent. I'd heard from many people that Steel City was trying to keep up some semblance of being in business to sell off current inventory.

I'd thought long and hard about posting this. Kinda like a buyer beware.

Nancy, thanks for your reply, yes I think I got a bum fence.

David