PDA

View Full Version : G0513X2 vs. G0514X2...

Harold Burrell
06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
OK...I know..."Not another bandsaw thread!"

But...I REALLY appreciate and respect the opinions here...and so, since this is a HUGE investment for me...I have to ask.

I am looking for a bandsaw. Obviously. I have basically narrowed it down to the G0513X2 and the G0514X2. Now I am a hobbiest (at best). I am also a novice (though I am learning). I am basically building furniture for my wife (and for various and sundry church folks as the opportunity arises). In other words...this is not my livelihood.

With that said, my question is this...do the features on the G0514X2 justify the $400 price difference???

Van Huskey
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
First, I love bandsaw threads...:D

For your $400 you get:

2" bigger wheels, important for good using carbide & bi-metal blades

you get larger throat depth as well

Will take a wider blade (not so directly important BUT it shows it can properly tension a 1.25" carbon blade so it can probably get a 1" carbide blade close to proper tension ie 25,000 psi)

1 extra HP, nice when making the 10+ inch resaws

Magnetic switch which I feel is fairly important on my equipment

rack and pinion tilt

footbrake which is a requirement for me on a larger than 14" BS

The only thing that doesn't make me smile about either saw is the 12" resaw height, though some people never use near that much and it has become a gloat worthy feature on bandsaws huge resaw height is a rather new trend.

All this being said IF it was in the budget I would not consider the 513 and just get the 514. Though it is a good deal more money percentage wise you get things that are very important to ME.

I look at it like this:

I would pay:

$100 for the extra 2 inches of wheel/throat
$75 for the higher tensioning ability
$100 for the horse power
$100 for the footbrake
$50 for the mag switch
$50 for the rack and pinion tilt

So I see it as well worth it for me even if the 513 lacks some features I see as mandatory.

Jack Ganssle
06-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I guess it depends on your needs and what you'll do with the machine. I have a G0514X2 and love it. The extra HP is important if you'll be resawing thick stuff.

A big bandsaw will do a lot, and I find many TS jobs that are a bit scary become routine on the BS.

For my hobby-work the BS is used a lot. The G0514X2 always has a 1" blade in it, and is used only for straight cuts. A G555X has a narrow blade and does the curvy work.

Jack

Dave MacArthur
06-06-2010, 3:31 AM
+ 1 what Van said!

I love a band saw thread, first things I look for on SMC each night ;) And I love the Griz band saws. I've been looking at them for 3 years or so. I decided to get the G0514x2 after years of study. Or maybe one of the ultimate saws if I could talk the wife into it. However, based on literally hundreds of posts extolling the vitues of the 513 and the 514, I will say you can't go wrong with either. To me, it would be worth the extra $400, but everyone must decide the value of their money ;) When I saw much more than $400 disappear instantly as the stock market dropped, I decided that if I could live with THAT loss without stressing, I could certainly live with paying $400 more for the 514x2. That's how I made my decision anyways--but hey, whatever it takes to talk yourself into it! :)

John Coloccia
06-06-2010, 8:27 AM
I have the 514X2. It's a great saw and well worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

Gary Kvasnicka
06-06-2010, 9:23 AM
I have a go514x2 that I am very happy with. I find I use the rack and pinion table tilt way more than I thought. I know if I had bought the g0513, I would have been kicking myself each time I tilted the table.
I guess I have been lucky, the only time I have ever regretted spending more on a tool is when I wrote the check.

Stan Mitchell
06-06-2010, 9:34 AM
I don't think that you would be disappointed in either. It would be a real coin toss for me.

I've had the 513x2 for about a year and really like it. Just a super nice saw.

But now I wish I had a smaller saw too - to keep a small blade in. The 513 and 514 will both take big resaw blades which is a huge plus, but it seems the minute I get that big blade in there and tuned - now I need a 3/16 blade to cut some tight curves.

So, maybe the real question should be "which two saws do I need?" :D

Cary Falk
06-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I have the G0513X2 and love it. I couldn't swing the money at the time for the G0514X2 or it would be in my garage. If you have the funds, G0514X2 all the way. I don't think you can go wrong with either.