PDA

View Full Version : My weekend just got filled!

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2010, 9:17 AM
After the Wed night storm, I woke up to find this in the back yard.152453152454 This is the tree I've wanted to take down, but LOML vetoed. :rolleyes: Does this mean I won?? :D:D So I'm trying to sleep in this am, Glenna is up getting ready for a music rehearsal, and she comes in and said, "Well, I guess you get your wish. There's another limb down. Don't know how we didn't hear it. Just barely missed the house." And this is what I found when I looked. 152455 152456 The first one steps off at about 40' This one may be slightly shorter. For size comparison, the patio in the picture is 20' square. One of the rescue dogs heard the first one and barked. None of us heard the second one!
The bad part of this, is the electric service from the pole to my shop runs under the remaining part of the tree. I'll see if I can get ONCOR to come out and disconnect the shop while I drop the rest of this. They don't have a number to call except for outages or live wires already on the ground. I'll have to wait until my provider opens at 9:00.
How does Bradford Pear burn in the fireplace? :eek:;) Jim.

Mitchell Andrus
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like that new chainsaw is back on the list.

Rich Engelhardt
06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Dude - somebody done stole almost all your grass!!!

:D

JK - my folks lived in AZ and they

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2010, 2:18 PM
So far, I've just used the little electric that is on the pole saw, pole removed. I've got the 2 limbs that were on the ground cut up. Trunks in 18" pieces, and the upper leafy limbs in 10' sections. I have a gas chain saw, but I might have gotten it started by now.:rolleyes: It's the one that went flying with me when I did my first major trimming on a tree here. I'll probably have to fire it up when I get to the point of cutting the main trunk, as this 12" won't work there. But it's fine for all the other parts. Will try to get some more of the limbs down this afternoon if I can tie on to them and pull them back toward the house so they don't fall on the service line to the shop. ONCOR won't come out until Monday to drop the line. Since I've lost 2 limbs in 2 days, I'm afraid the tree won't last that long and it will be on the line regardless. I cut a regular pear tree down between this one and the shop a couple years ago and this method worked fine.
Yeah, very little grass here because of the dogs, and so many trees that the sun doesn't get through much. I wanted to cut this one down originally and leave the real pear tree. I think we could have kept the squirrels out of it that way and maybe had some fruit. But SWMBO said the other way around. Now they will both be gone. :( Hopefully this will get some needed sun to the ground and we can get some grass to grow again. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2010, 4:12 PM
Got the rest of the trunk carted off, cut a few small limbs and chickened out. I'm sure my idea would work...I just can't get a rope up high enough to get the leverage to make sure the cut limb goes the right direction. I'll work an evening or 2 after work this week after ONCOR gets the power wire down and out of the way. Hopefully I can schedule them to be back out by Friday to hook it back up. I'm taking Friday off for a long weekend, LOML at convention, and I was going to play in the shop and get some projects finished! Guess we'll see. If I see I'm not getting there, maybe I can take an early day off to finish up on Wednesday. Hope your weekend is going good! :D Jim.

Dennis Peacock
06-05-2010, 6:28 PM
Bradford Pear makes some beautiful turnings. :D

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2010, 7:04 PM
And if anyone is in the area and would like some of this for turning, let me know. I've even got a few crotch pieces. Don't know if they are cut right for turning. Otherwise, it'll get burned next winter.
After a cool soak in the tub, and watching the Rangers wind over the Rays again today, I'm starting to feel human again.:rolleyes: Just hope not being able to get the entire tree down today isn't going to mess up my long weekend next week. Jim.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2010, 4:21 PM
Well, unfortunately I spent several hours doing the same today. We lost a really nice dogwood in last nights storms. Not sure if it was wind or lightning damage but it took down 1/2 the tree and I took down the rest since it was salvageable. Luckily that's all the damage we have. A few miles north of us and about 20 miles south they weren't so lucky. Two high schools had to cancel graduation, one doesn't even have a high school any more.