PDA

View Full Version : Small Cabinet

Martin Shupe
11-24-2004, 10:37 PM
I made this for my sister back in 2002, after making her wait over 10 years for a promised project. She uses it in her bathroom to store toilet paper. It is oak, at her request. As most of you know, I prefer cherry. It is based on a cabinet that was on the front cover of FWW several years ago. It was a good learning project, with plenty of mistakes to correct and hide along the way. Finish is wax over Watco.

Roger Myers
11-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Martin,
I too much prefer cherry over oak but you did a great job using oak to its best advantage in this cabinet...straight grain on the rails and stiles, and some nice figure well situated on the door. I'm certain your sister felt it was well worth the wait - it looks terrific!
Roger

Martin Shupe
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
As Martin's Sister.....I can confirm, it was DEFINITELY worth the wait!!!!!

:) ;) :D

Mark Singer
11-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Very nice work!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Excellent work Martin.....question....how is that wax finish holding up in the high humidity of a bathroom?

Marshall Harrison
11-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Looks great Martin. Beautiful finish on it. I really love oak.

Jim Becker
11-25-2004, 12:07 PM
As Martin's Sister.....I can confirm, it was DEFINITELY worth the wait!!!!!
I sure hope you're cuter than Martin!!! :D

Seriously, that's a fine piece of cabinet work. Enjoy it always.

Martin Shupe
11-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Excellent work Martin.....question....how is that wax finish holding up in the high humidity of a bathroom?

So far so good...

It is actually in one of those very small "toilet rooms" that is part of the master bath. My sister says she usually leaves the door open and when she takes a shower, the entire room steams up for just a little while. The wax is two years old, without a new coat, and it seems to look like when I first did it.

Note to Jim B. She is, which is good for her sake. :D