PDA

View Full Version : More Pens For The Craft Show

James Combs
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Here are a few more pens I made today for the craft show I will be attending tomorrow.

152436 152437
From left to right: (two photos are a left and right view)
Slimlines - Blue Poplar in Black Titanium, Gold with a commercial laminate, Click Pens - Old Oak tobacco stick in Gold, Old (wormy) Hickory tobacco stick in Gold, New Hickory in gold (this one is a pencil)

I thought the blue poplar was interesting because I had never heard of it. I was at a saw-mill/lumber-yard last fall getting a tour and saw this long cut off in the scrap bin and was told by the tour guide that it was "blue poplar" when I asked what it was. Anything in the scrap bins was free for the taking so I cabbaged it.

The actual color looks to me like a cross between purple and gray. If you notice in the first two photos one side is almost black while the other side is kind of a burgundy. I was surprised that the photo showed it.

The blanks show the range of color that was in the "stick" I cabbaged.

The dark patches you see on the hickory tobacco stick are worm tracks. I am showing one blank here that shows worm tracks galore.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged.

Scot Roberge
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I've seen some poplar come through my firewood pile that had dark streaks like that. Next time I see some, I'll save if for turning. It always surprises me how much the pens I've done in oak always stand out - and I think yours do too. For my area it's so common I never gave it much thought. Now, when I'm splitting firewood, I watch out for oak that is figured. For me, your hickory pen is the pick of the litter. A friend gave me a log about 6" in diameter, 18" long. I sawed it into 5/8" stock for pen blanks a couple weeks ago. At first I was a bit disappointed to find it heavily spalted and worm infested - was about to pich it, but then decided the decomp actually looked interesting. You confirmed that that piece of wood will do nicely for pens. What's your finishing method for such fast production?

Hope you do well at the craft show!

James Combs
06-04-2010, 11:09 PM
... What's your finishing method for such fast production?

Hope you do well at the craft show!

I have tried a variety of finishing methods and keep trying to refine for speed. Currently I sand to about 1200-1800 depending on the wood. apply one coat of thin CA for penetration using the drizzle method. Then apply 3 coats of thick using a wipe on method with light 1200-1800 grit sanding in between coats. after the last coat and a final 3-4 seconds of 1200-1800 sanding I treat it like it was acrylic instead of wood and apply acrylic polishing compound. I don't have the name at the moment but it is the same stuff that you would use on acrylic blanks. White and comes in a white bottle. I get an almost glass like gloss. Been doing this for about 2 weeks now. Before that I was sanding to 12000 and then applying paste wax. The white stuff replaced all the standing. Still use paste wax as a final protective coat.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Another batch of good looking pens James! Looks like you should be all set for your craft show! Best of luck with sales!