PDA

View Full Version : edge piece

Greg Taylor
06-04-2010, 9:52 PM
A couple of weeks ago I asked for some newbie help on how to turn natural edge pieces. You were all very helpful so I took a piece of Bradford Pear (someone ran into one down the street and knock a trunk of last fall and after waiting for the city to clean it up for a couple of days I helped myself) and started messing around. The trunk was thin so anything deep was not going to happen. All I can say is that the sophomoric result below was an incredible education in what tools to use and not use, chucking (yes, the first attempt hit the wall but I was wearing protection if it had hit me), and angle of attack. This darn hobby is so much fun. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.

Allen Neighbors
06-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Greg, that's a beautiful little natural edge piece!! You did well with it, keeping the bark on, and finishing, too. I like the little foot that gives it some lift, too.
Yep, you did well, my friend. You're right about this hobby/lifestyle of woodturning, too.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Greg - looks like you are off to a great start! Nice job on keeping all the bark! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

David E Keller
06-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks like fun. Nice job with a personal favorite wood... It's great to turn. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

John Keeton
06-05-2010, 6:32 AM
This darn hobby is so much fun.You ain't seen the half of it, yet!!! Just wait!!

Great little piece, with a nice curve, good bark retention, and good job on the foot. Well on your way to mastering this thing!

John Hart
06-05-2010, 7:03 AM
Nice job. i've found that NE pieces like this look best when filled with candy!! :)

Fred Perreault
06-05-2010, 7:53 AM
Greg, that is a well done cutie... for a first try or otherwise. Woodturning is an incredible magnet that will attract you time and again. Unlike 5 hours for golf, or 1-2 weeks for a finished piece of flatwork.... turning can show results in a couple of hours. And where else can one make a mistake or find an unsettling blemish, and yet be able to hide it by turning it into shavings? Or better yet, incorporate the blem into the turning. Some of the best finished items can be the result of the oft quoted "design opportunity". But be careful, as turning has a dark side that can attack your wallet, undermine your homelife, and take you away from "funner" things, like cutting the grass, trimming the yard, cleaning the shop, etc., etc.

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2010, 8:24 AM
Really nice NE. Looks like you are on your way.

Roland Martin
06-05-2010, 8:39 AM
Very nice job on this NE! Can you say "VORTEX"?:)