PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Picture Frame

John Hart
06-04-2010, 9:28 PM
Ok...not exactly a picture frame....more like a display case.

I recently acquired (through blind luck) a newspaper, "The Edinburg Evening Courant" from January 10, 1776. It is in remarkably good condition and has a proclamation covering two pages that basically say that if you are an American ship, and we don't like the way you look, you're going down!

I'm very excited about it and want to frame it properly. But here's the thing...I like to touch it. And I know that people who look at it...will want to touch it...and read the whole proclamation on page 1 and 2...which requires touching it.

To preserve this piece, I'd like to provide some white inspection gloves in the display case....and have the case easily opened....document easily removed....and easily replaced.

I've been racking my brain and can't seem to come up with a design that is worthy. All my ideas are clunky.

Soooo...Creekers being the finest meld of humans on the planet, I'm asking for a little help in creating a nice display case that meets this criteria.
Thanks!!!

Here's a pic of the top of the front page:

Brian Effinger
06-04-2010, 9:32 PM
Is it a single sheet, John? If it is, what about a two-sided case. One that rotates about an axis, so you can view both sides without touching it.

Tom Rick
06-04-2010, 9:33 PM
I believe any direct handling of the paper will turn it to dust in short order.
White gloves or no...

Perhaps a case with each page in a 'folder' of rigid plastic sheet. Hinged somehow so the pages can be turned??

John Hart
06-04-2010, 9:39 PM
The paper is 4 pages....but really just one large sheet, with printing on both sides, and folded down the middle.

So page 1 has page 2 printed on its reverse side.

Ya know...hinging it would be cool....but I don't want to cut it.

hmmm..i wonder if a big case would work..and just open it up all the way?

The paper is 12X18....so that would make the unfolded paper 24X18.

I have plenty of space in the Library to mount anything

John Hart
06-04-2010, 9:42 PM
Is it a single sheet, John? If it is, what about a two-sided case. One that rotates about an axis, so you can view both sides without touching it.

Brian...Do you mean like a case that is on a stand? Like you might mount a globe?

Oh man!! I could turn the pedestal!!! :)

Terry Sparks
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
John, something to consider...

Paper that old could start to tear fairly soon at the creases just by turning the pages, and will start to fade if exposed to direct sunlight. It might be worthwhile to get a high quality reproduction of the paper made to put in your cabinet, while the original is sealed and tucked away in a safe place.

Brian Effinger
06-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Brian...Do you mean like a case that is on a stand? Like you might mount a globe?

Oh man!! I could turn the pedestal!!! :)

Exactly! (Hey, I wanted to make sure you got some turning in there, and it wasn't all f*** work ;) )

Joe A Faulkner
06-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Be careful of using plastic protective sleaves, etc. These often give cause re-actions with that will yellow paper. I think the reproduction suggestion maybe worth pursuing. You might want to do some research on proper techniques for preserving the paper. What a cool find.

John Gornall
06-05-2010, 1:33 AM
The paper should go to a paper conservator to be checked for acidity (paper of that age is probably OK because it's not made of wood pulp) and then the usual technique is to encapsulate the paper. The paper is put between sheets of an archival plastic which has the edges joined with a special adhesive tape. I have a number of newspapers from the end of WWII which I had preserved this way. The conservator charged me about 100 dollars per double page sheet to deacidify and encapsulate them.

John Hart
06-05-2010, 6:40 AM
All good advice. Thanks everyone.:)

I knew that I was just thinking too hard. I'll look into the idea of having it professionally preserved and in the meantime, I think I'll go with the rotating pedestal.
The section of the library where it will go, doesn't have any windows, so sunlight shouldn't be a problem....course then, having it reproduced and tucked away doesn't sound too bad either.

It's a wonderful piece of history....I'll be sure to follow your advice and take good care of it.

Thanks again guys. I'll post the final project here when I get it done. :)

Walter Plummer
06-05-2010, 7:43 AM
I think the first course should be to have the paper authenticated and appraised for value. The results may dictate what precautions you to take.

Britt Lifsey
06-05-2010, 7:51 AM
That will make a very cool addition to your library. It would take some wall space, but what about having it reproduced and put each individual page in its own frame. Arrange the frames on wall in order so someone can read all 4 without turning frames, etc...maybe a 2X2 arrangement. Then, if OK'ed by expert conservationist, have the original protected under glass in a display table centered under the reproductions. If you could find more history about the paper you could have something printed out and also in the display case.

Josh Bowman
06-05-2010, 8:48 AM
I had an "extra" of the December 7 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbor. I had the whole paper put in a frame and matted it. With the paper being thick, it took some trial and error to get the right amount of backing material in to ensure the Headline was flat against the glass and fit in the thickness of the frame. We then covered the back of the whole thing with brown paper to seal it. It held up well.

Van Huskey
06-05-2010, 9:13 AM
The paper should go to a paper conservator to be checked for acidity (paper of that age is probably OK because it's not made of wood pulp) and then the usual technique is to encapsulate the paper. The paper is put between sheets of an archival plastic which has the edges joined with a special adhesive tape. I have a number of newspapers from the end of WWII which I had preserved this way. The conservator charged me about 100 dollars per double page sheet to deacidify and encapsulate them.

+1 on the paper conservator. I also think the revolving stand/frame would be a worthy way to present the paper.

Joe Chritz
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
You have some good ideas already so just let me say..... Way cool paper!

Joe

Fred Voorhees
06-05-2010, 3:17 PM
Yeah, John, I would definitely reconsider allowing anyone to touch it. Just asking for trouble. I have a 40 year old collection of weekly auto racing newspapers that keep for research purposes, and despite my best efforts to keep them in good shape, the earliest ones are kinda tough to leaf through without doing damage to.

Rick Moyer
06-06-2010, 7:22 AM
ou may want to contact The Smithsonian or The National Archives regarding preserving that paper, regardless of how you'll display it. IIRC, there are many ways those things deteriorate if not preserved right. Something about light exposure? Just a thought.