PDA

View Full Version : Question for Minimax Owners

Brian W Evans
06-04-2010, 7:22 PM
I'm very seriously looking at buying a full combo machine (jointer, planer, shaper, sliding table saw). I've narrowed it down to the Hammer C3-31 Perform or the Minimax CU300 Smart.

I've requested information from both companies, and checked their web sites many times. From Felder, I received 3 very informative, detailed, catalogs and 3 well-produced DVDs demonstrating their machines. Felder's web site is also informative and well-designed. From Minimax, I received, after having much trouble with their online form, a few PDF files with very little information, and a suggestion that I watch some low-res videos on their web site. Minimax's web site has often had issues and I have occasionally been unable to view the videos. In fact, I can't get the CU300 page to load as I'm writing this.

I have two questions:

1) Is this indicative of dealings with Minimax in general (i.e. is this what I have to look forward to when I need customer service)?

2) I assume that most, if not all, MiniMax owners checked out Felder/Hammer when researching machines. Why did you choose MM over Felder?

Any insights would be welcome.

Scot Ferraro
06-04-2010, 7:32 PM
I cannot speak to MM as I do not own one, but I do own a Hammer A3-31 J/p (1/2 of the combo you are looking at) and I am more than thrilled with my purchase. Dealing with Felder has always been good and I have a very good relationship with my local rep. No company is perfect, however, and I would give MM a chance to answer your questions before deciding either way -- this is a big purchase and one that you want to minimize having buyer's remorse.

Scot

Mike Hollingsworth
06-04-2010, 7:59 PM
I've had the CU 300 Smart for five years and have had no complaints. Parts have been available, no problem. It is a robust machine and probably won't need any parts if you don't break 'em.
Price was a consideration for me. I think I paid around 5 grand, a lot less than what Hammer was offering.

Tom W Armstrong
06-04-2010, 8:05 PM
Brian,

When I was looking at J/Ps I had the same issues with MM that you are having. It was basically either the Hammer or MM J/P for me at that point. Hammer was very responsive and I had to go through MM's website several times and finally got a call back (a week later) but they hadn't even read what I wrote via the online form submitted. Given Hammer had the A3-31 on sale plus they were very responsive, by the time MM finally did call, the deal was done with Hammer. I mentioned this to the MM rep and it was basically, oh well, sorry, maybe next time...

Anyway, I probably should have called MM instead of relying on their web site.

I got my A3-31 yesterday and I'm very impressed so far. :)

William Addison
06-04-2010, 8:30 PM
I have a MM16 and while it's a pretty good saw, their customer support is the worst I've ever encountered. They don't even publish a current manual and the one they send people to on their forum is 'way out of date for the current version of the saw. I can't even get a wiring schematic.

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Don't mean to threadjack, but what are the prices of each unit you are considering?

Joe Jensen
06-05-2010, 2:20 AM
I looked at MM and Felder when shopping for a saw/shaper combo. I found the MM sales guy to be helpful, but I found the Felder sales guy to be very very helpful. I ended up selecting Felder for a variety of reasons. One of the things I'm very happy and relieved about is the post sales support from my sales guy, the folks at the US headquarters, and the service folks. I had a few issues (my errors) in getting the machine set up and adjusted and everyone bent over backwards to help. Cell phone numbers from the folks I need to reach, call backs to make sure all is well, overall I couldn't ask for more. This was on a Felder 700 series but I think the same crew supports the Hammer stuff.

I will say that I have a 1975 SCMI 12" jointer and when I bought it I called SCMI USA service with some questions on how to disassemble and the service guys were also amazing. They had one guy who they thought knew those old jointers and he called me from the field on his cell within 15 min. He didn't know that machine but he knew another long timer who did. That guy called me in like 5 min and talked me through some stuff for like an hour. Great cudos to them. The parts department however at SCMI was a disaster. Multiple calls and nothing. Very friendly folks but they dropped the ball every time. A couple of simple parts took 2 months of calls before I think they were actually ordered.

Van Huskey
06-05-2010, 3:44 AM
I don't own either but have shopped both, my suggestion is to call MM. The best info I got was from a return call. That all said there isn't anything I would actually buy from MM, everything I have shopped lead me to another manufacturer in the end. Not saying they would not meat your needs as they are fine tools, I just found more value for me elsewhere.

Mike Ruggeri
06-05-2010, 7:07 AM
I have a MM CU 300 and think it is a great machine. I really can't say enough good things about it as it is a pleasure to use. That said, in my experience, parts are readily available and lots of people think MM customer service is great, but I haven't found them to be very good in the customer service area. Luckily I haven't had to go back to them for anything significant as I haven't had any problems with my machine.

Mike

Brian W Evans
06-05-2010, 7:22 AM
I've had the CU 300 Smart for five years and have had no complaints. Parts have been available, no problem. It is a robust machine and probably won't need any parts if you don't break 'em.
Price was a consideration for me. I think I paid around 5 grand, a lot less than what Hammer was offering.

Don't mean to threadjack, but what are the prices of each unit you are considering?

Mike: 5 Grand? :eek: Today that machine lists for $12,995! The Hammer is $8.60 less. Want to sell me yours? I'll pay 6 grand for it. ;)

Leigh Betsch
06-05-2010, 9:48 AM
I had excellent success with MM when I bought my ST4, MM20, and 16"J/P. But that was 3 years ago when they were in Austin TX. I don't know if the Atlanta move has changed things. I've never had the need for their service or parts.
When I was shopping between Felder and MM I got some high pressure pitches from the Felder sales guy, "better buy by the end of the month or the special deal is off" stuff. Hey when I'm dropping $20k at a time you'd better hold your price for more that a couple of days to the end of the month. This happened twice, plus dailly phone calls from the rep turned me off. I had a great sales experience from MM. Then when I went to pick up my machines (in person with a car trailer) they damaged my 12" J/P so they upgraded me to a 16" J/P for the same price, and when the 16" demo bandsaw I bought was not ready to they upgraded me to a 20" at the same price. I don't know how I could have gotten better treatment. But this was the Austin crew, I don't have any experience with the Atlanta crew.
If you are serious give Sam Blasco a call, he reps for them and is a very well respected woodworker. Google for Sam's web site, he's a pretty awesome wood worker.

I'm sure the Felder stuff is excellent stuff, might even be better, I don't have any so I can't compare.

Jim Becker
06-05-2010, 6:08 PM
I suggest you call MM if you have not already done so...web sites sometime break. I've been 100% satisfied with both my MM machines and with the relationship/company. Both MM and Felder build wonderful machines. If you want a large menu, the Felder can likely help you customize something exactly to your liking. If you want a machine that is already pre-configured with pretty much what most folks want/need, then MM is a good solution to consider.

Leigh Betsch
06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Buy one of each! It's the only way you're gonna really know which is better.
Me, I don't care which is better, I like the one I've got.