PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Advice on Harvesting This Monster!

John Altberg
06-04-2010, 1:26 PM
I have a line on an oak burl that the owner says is 60" across. Having never tackled a burl, I am seeking guidance on how to approach this beast. In my excitement I forgot to ask the owner what variety of oak this is. Does it really matter whether it is red or white?

Regards,

John

Richard Coers
06-04-2010, 1:40 PM
Depends if you are making bowls, vessels, natural edge, etc......Also what size chain saw will be available. At first blush, I would probably cut it like a pie. Consider the top face showing as the top of the pie. It would be easier to cut from the side of course, so cut it off the stump and rotate it up 90 degrees. Cut to the center, rotate the burl, and make another slice, intersecting with the first cut. You could get bowls from the top section of each pie slice, and a hollow vessel from the center of the pie section. It will also depend on bark inclusions, and any rot once you start cutting. Good luck!

John Hart
06-04-2010, 2:29 PM
A few years ago, I was hanging out at the local amish pallet shop, playing in their scrap piles. (They loved to cut the burls out of their wood and discard it, since it was such a pain to nail through.)

Anyway...the oak burls...Red or white...were the most colorful beautiful wood....with super-tight ingrain...not like regular oak at all.

I'd say, revel in your great score John....and just cut it up in pieces that you can carry easily. They are going to make pretty pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2010, 4:48 PM
Got a back-hoe?

I would try and cut as large of chunks that I could handle - that way I have options when it comes time to turn it. Also, the larger the piece - the slower the drying time.

Good luck! Work smart! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

George Guadiane
06-04-2010, 5:06 PM
The first thing I noticed was a fairly significant crack. I would try to cut pieces using the crack to decide how to cut. The crack can be your friend if you use it... It's telling you how the wood WANTS to be opened up.
Next thing that I consider is the size of the lathe you have, then what you like to turn, bowls, hollow forms, etc. Most of us like to keep the pieces as large as we can, on the one hand, on the other, it's a good idea to try and visualize what you are going to use a piece for. Just because it's big doesn't mean that it is most useful.

I just got an equally large white oak burl. mostly wild curl, no eyes like in big leaf maple. The burl had been sitting for quite aq while, and the outside is spalted. The spalting along with the wild grain makes for some VERY beautiful finished pieces. I would concentrate on getting the biggest and or most desirable pieces from the outside... If, like me, you find that there is just too much to deal with, take a little more and give a bunch to your friends (my gift wood is already given). I left somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of what was there, but I did manage to get all of the surface stuff.

There is another type of oak burl that has little bark inclusions in it, also very attractive wood. I haven't worked much of that.

The last thing I would mention is that green oak burl moves A LOT! If you are going to rough turn, leave the pieces a little extra thick because of the changes that will take place. If you are going to turn pieces to finished thickness all at once, EXPECT the wood to MOVE. Personally, I very much enjoy the texture that oak burl takes on after it has been sanded to a very good finish, then has a chance to dry. Still smooth, but with a pronounced texture.

charlie knighton
06-04-2010, 7:02 PM
i have a piece of cherry burl in cardboard barrels now, it worked will with box elder burl, i left in for at least 6 months

congratulations with your oak burl, looks like you have a good learning experience to enjoy

report back successes and what to look out for

thanks for sharing

Kirk Miller
06-04-2010, 7:12 PM
John you have an opportunity of a lifetime. Burls like that are what woodturners dreams are made of. Good luck and watch your back. Mine hurts just looking at it.

Kirk

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2010, 7:22 PM
When I look at that I see one bowl. But you may need a bigger lathe...

Nathan Hawkes
06-04-2010, 7:47 PM
Well, I'll bet you get a few responses here. It's been said already, but the best way is going to be to harvest the burl in usable sized pieces, and/or the size that you are capable of carrying. You can utilize the presence of a crack to your benefit--it could determine where you make the first couple cuts. I would agree whole heartedly with the pie shaped cuts point, but with the exception that you should try (if you feel comfortable with this chainsaw skill) to make plunge cuts--this way, you can utilize larger chunks on your "second row" cuts. What I mean is to say that you could get one complete ring of blanks, and if you don't carry your cuts radiating to the center further than the thickness of the blank you are cutting, you'll be capable of cutting much larger blanks on your second ring of blanks. A 16" bar would probably be the largest here that I'd use, purely for the sake of making these types of cuts. You could make the blanks roughly 16" cube shaped, then possibly cut them in half, quarters, etc. If the burl is 60" round, the small 16" bar would take you to roughly half the diameter of the burl as it lies, and your second row would take you approximately to the pith.

John Keeton
06-04-2010, 7:57 PM
When I look at that I see one bowl. But you may need a bigger lathe...Is that like saying " Your eyes are bigger than your lathe???:D

Robert Arrowood
06-04-2010, 8:01 PM
If you have a way to get it a backhoe.Dig that bad boy up.I would bet the deeper you go the better it looks.Don't know what a rollback "wrecker" cost in you neck of the woods.But if you can get it to your place you can take your time and think about it.Just a thought.Good luck with it eather way you go.

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2010, 8:02 PM
"Is that like saying " Your eyes are bigger than your lathe???"

Yes. But not for long...

BTW, I "framed up" my new "summer shop" today... Canopy and floor go in tomorrow after which I'll post some pics...

Nathan Hawkes
06-04-2010, 8:06 PM
here's what I'm talking about:

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=152407&stc=1&d=1275696378

brian watts
06-04-2010, 8:42 PM
WOW . that a monster you have there.. you can allways cut a big blank off of it and send it my way..lol

William Bachtel
06-04-2010, 9:41 PM
I wood call woodmizer, and ask them to give you the phone number of a saw operator in your area. They do this. l-800-525-8100. I saw burl on my woodmizer all the time, for myself and for others. They do a great job. Bandsaws have less waste then either a chainsaw, or a big sawmill.

Brian Brown
06-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I saw burl on my woodmizer all the time, for myself and for others. They do a great job. Bandsaws have less waste then either a chainsaw, or a big sawmill.

And your back will thank you for years to come.

Just hang on John, I can be there in 8 hours. My chainsaw blade is dull, my back went south, and I don't know what I am doing, but I'll watch you work for the scraps you toss. :D Other than the woodmizer idea, I don't know how to help you, but it looks like you'll have a lot of great stuff coming out of that one.

John Altberg
06-08-2010, 2:26 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions and encouragement. Unfortunately, the owner came to understand what he had and contacted a dealer who bought the thing for $200. If he had only asked, my club probably would have paid more, though free is always better!

Unbelievably, I have found an even BIGGER boxelder burl. If it works out I will post some pics.

John

John Hart
06-08-2010, 2:37 PM
Hmmm...those grapes were probably sour anyway.

The box elder will be a sweeter deal. ;)