PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project, finally!

Kenneth George
11-24-2004, 9:40 PM
Although this is not a turning it is directly related to turning.

After several weeks and many trials, tribulation, bad words and rethinking, I finally finished my thread cutting jig. Its capacity as designed is at 4” and I can’t imagine why I would want to go higher than that. It locks down very stable and seems to function rather well. I just received the cutter today via UPS so I hope to get time tomorrow to give it a good test run. I designed this to slide on to the Jet mini and lock down but it could be adapted to any lathe with a riser. I have not tallied up the finial cost yet but I am pretty sure I am well under $100. Eventually I want to get a alone motor set up for this so it can be stand alone.

Any comments appreciated.
http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/jig/DSCF2634.jpg

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/jig/DSCF2635.jpg

Christopher Pine
11-24-2004, 10:07 PM
That looks to be a very beautiful job! If it works half as good as it looks should be fine! HAve any plans???????
This would make a great article!
Chris

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-25-2004, 2:45 PM
Remeber - Sharing is the second best thing. Instruction on how it's made is # 1. That is, unless you plan to sell them. Lookin' great!

Bruce

Steve Inniss
11-25-2004, 6:29 PM
NNNiiiiiiccceeee, Q/S and all.
I hope you had fun with it today - I would like to see the output. -Steve

Kenneth George
11-25-2004, 7:54 PM
You know that prayer/poem that goes “God grant me the serenity etc, etc.” well that is how this project has gone. Today when I first went to use the jig I found about a 16<SUP>th</SUP> of run out. Spent considerable amount of time tracking it down to the threaded rod I was using. Seems it had a very slight curve in it. Well I had bought two 2’ rods in case I screwed up so using the lathe bed and feeler gauges I found a 12” section that was strait and cut it out and replaced the one I had in the jig. After that I had no run out and the jig worked well on test pieces both internal and external. I have not done a project yet since I had to do the family thing today but I will post when I get to do one hopefully tomorrow.

I am putting together plans for this right now and when I finish I will post a link to them and everybody is welcome to them as well as my sources for parts.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2004, 8:50 AM
Kenneth......I like your attention to detail! Be sure to let us know how well it works!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-26-2004, 1:04 PM
I'm glad that the first trials were successful and I'm equally glad that you are generous enough to share your plans. I've had several thoughts lately about projects involving both inner and outer threads. Looks like a winner.