PDA

View Full Version : elbows?

Jeff Bartley
06-04-2010, 9:36 AM
For those running 6" 2729 storm and drain pipe I'm wondering what elbows your using; I've found 45 elbows and long sweep 90's. One long sweep 90 costs more than two 45's but I'm wondering if anyone has used either of these to report on performance.
I have the honor of owning the second ever ClearVue cyclone built which Ed used for his own shop. Last year I drove down there and picked it up, got a tour of the operation, and had a great afternoon chatting with Ed and Matt.
Needless to say I'm super bummed that they've closed!
As soon as I get the ductwork run the system will be up and running; I can't wait!
Thanks,
Jeff

glenn bradley
06-04-2010, 9:49 AM
I ran two 45's. They make the bend and allow for minor adjustments (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106709&d=1231805904).

Jeff Bartley
06-07-2010, 8:09 AM
Thanks for the pic Glenn! Two 45's would allow for better adjustment. And they're cheaper than a long 90!
Cheers! Jeff

Bruce Seidner
06-07-2010, 8:31 AM
That is a very helpful picture. The analogy of driving around a corner at speed and the resistance required of the tires is one that finally made this concept click and was found in Woodshop Dust Control (and if anyone can help me pronounce Sandor's last name that would be a debt I could never repay).

I am trying to get around the problems of limited ceiling height and HVAC ductwork competing for the same ceiling space. All those 45's do a nice job of keeping it relatively straight and avoiding the sharp turns. I won't be able to create a drag strip or Autobahn but it won't be an unpaved donkey path when I am done with the ducts for the blower.