PDA

View Full Version : Belts for Hitachi jointer/planer, Model # F1000A

Bill Chancey
06-04-2010, 9:28 AM
Hi,

I recently found this site and I think it's a great place to learn a lot...I know I will.

I am looking for the belts that are used on the Hitachi jointer/planer, Model # F1000A. It looks as though it needs TWO of the same belt???

Here's my story....

I was fortunate enough to pick up a used Hitachi F1000A jointer/planer for $50....knowing only from the seller, "It will NOT power up." It came with two extra sets of knives for the jointer and one extra set for the planer and the wooden stand with wheels it was on.

I got it home and powered it up to realize one of the bearings was not doing so well and was not allowing the motor to spin. I lubricated it and manually rotated it to the point where the motor could spin it. It was loud but it was moving! I cleaned the brushes and the motor with compressed air.

I have some new bearings on order and should arrive soon. (one of them is backordered, but not the one I need :) thankfully)

What I am wondering is.....does anyone know where I can get a couple of belts for this machine? I don't need them right away, but as time goes on, I am sure it will become even more difficult to get my hands on some, if it isn't impossible already.

Also, does anyone know of other pieces of information I should be aware of with the F1000A? Tips, tricks, things NOT to do?

Any help would be great...I am looking forward to may years of working with this machine, as long as I can keep it running.

Thank you all in advance.

Bill

Rob Sack
06-04-2010, 7:12 PM
Have you tried contacting Hitachi? I have the planer only version of your machine and have taken to the West coast Hitachi Factory Service Center in Chatsworth and had it overhauled twice. Today it still performs like a new machine.

Bill Chancey
06-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks Rob.

I have not contacted Hitachi directly. I have only googled for the belts and without any luck. The place I ordered the bearings and brushes, stated the belts were 'obsolete' and unavailable.

I will see what I can do with Hitachi for these belts.

Thanks again.

Bill

Devon Shannon
06-05-2010, 12:48 AM
My google search suggests you need(2) of Part Number: 947573, which is a part not readily available. I'm guessing you already know this ;)

What type of belts are these?
In a pinch, Ive measure around two pulleys with a piece of string and driven down to the local auto parts store. If its just a pair of regular v-grove pulleys, how about Link-Belt?

Curt Harms
06-05-2010, 8:40 AM
Yellow Pages might be your friend. If it were me, I'd look for a "Power Transmission" or "Bearings and Drives" or some such listing in the Yellow Pages or web equivalent. Take the belt to them. You might be pleasantly surprised. The only problem I found with my local source is they don't stock a much metric stuff. They can order it and have it in a couple days usually.

Douglas Ingram
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I have the F1000A too, and blew out one of the belts just two weeks before they were declared obsolete! Until I can find some new ones I have to switch the remaining belt back and forth between the jointer and the planer.

I would love to find a new supply of belts, otherwise this fabulous, and essential to me, machine is just so much scrap iron.

The belt is a rather small loop, about 1" wide, with ridges inside which ride in grooves on the drive pulleys. Substitutions will be tricky.

Don Jarvie
07-08-2010, 2:07 PM
Go to OWWM.org and search for belt suppliers and the sort. I remember seeing a few online dealers that sell belts that will fit a lot of machines.

Off hand I can't recall who they were.

peter viala
10-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I finally found a seller of the drive belts on the F1000A. The original manufacturer is Bando (part number 142J NH) and they have a dealer in the US. They advised there is a stocking distributor in Lafayette. Belt Store of Lafayette. Phone 337-235-9736. www.beltsforanything.com (http://www.beltsforanything.com). Price was about $25.00 each.

Good Luck!
Peter

Douglas Ingram
11-27-2010, 2:32 PM
Awesome! I'll be getting in touch with them first thing Monday morning! If this works out I'll be ordering a few. I'm down to one belt and am getting tired of chaning it over.