PDA

View Full Version : Using air hoses for water

Dan Stuewe
06-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Can hoses and fittings meant for compressed air be used for water? My wife is a glass artist and most of her tools require water. Some of them are set up to be used in a basin filled with water and other require a water source. I saw an ad for a Harbor Freight 50' air hose reel and it said the reel could be used for air or water (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-heavy-duty-retractable-air-hose-reel-46104.html). One of my concerns is that while a leaky air fitting is annoying (air compressor always restarts), if the fittings leak with water...big mess. It would be very convenient to use quick release fittings so we could have a fresh water source for all of her tools. Anyway, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Koepke
06-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Check in your local hardware store's garden center.

There are quick release fittings available for garden hoses. There are even ones like air line fittings that stop the flow when disconnected.

There are a few different brands and some are made to be interchangeable.

I use the non-flow-stop fittings in my greenhouse and around the yard. I also have shut off valves on the hoses.

Works great, but with age, there may be a little leaking. I find the better the original hoses and washers, the less leakage.

jim

Paul Atkins
06-04-2010, 2:11 AM
Line water pressure is usually lots less than air pressure from the compressor so I would think leaks would be less frequent. You could get a line regulator too and get the pressure down to 10 lbs. or so and since you are using small amounts of water it would be OK. Quick fittings are a good idea too.

Ernie Nyvall
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
If you use the air hose, I would think you'd have to make sure all your fittings are brass where the water touches. I have some brass fittings that have steel parts in the female end. I haven't paid enough attention or worried about it enough to purchase expensive fittings.

But come to think of it, it must be something that can be done, because dentists use air/water mixtures in the same hose, and then there are pressure washers. I'm sure they don't use stuff that will rust.