PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare your bird

Joe Mioux
11-24-2004, 9:38 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all SMC'ers. I have had a lot of ups and downs this year, but one of the better "ups" has been discovering this forum. There are a lot of really smart, articulate, creative, skilled and caring members here and that is why I sign in to SMC several times a day. I hope I covered the spectrum of all the members.

Now for the question... What is your favorite way to prepare your turkey. Mine is deep frying. Last year, I did three turkeys (34 ppl at Chateau Mioux) with three different seasonings. They were all delicious. This year we are guests, so no cooking, however, I'm always willing to learn another way to cook a bird.

Happy Thanksgiving
Joe

Tim Morton
11-24-2004, 9:53 PM
I have never deep fried a turkey (or tasted it either for that matter) , but the reviews are always excellent. So his year I asked my wife to check around her work to see if anyone would "lend" us a deep frier to try it for tommorrow...she got kind of a kick out of reminding me that they all might be in use tomorrow*doh*...but the way I have done it the past couple years is stuffing it with citrus and garlic and celery and cooking it upside down on a rack...this gets the dark meat cooked to perfection while preventing the white meat from drying out...it seems to satisfy everyone. This year as an added bonus I'm going to spit roast a garlic and rosemary encusted leg of lamb on the barby!!! :cool:

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Joe Mioux
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh, and BTW, what are your favorite wines with Turkey?

Mark Singer
11-24-2004, 10:21 PM
I like Reds...a Pinot Noir, Zinfindel, or young Beaujolais would be great.

For white: a crisp Chardonay or Savaungon Blanc would work well. We are hosting the dinner, and our guests , my sister and her family are bringing the wine so we will see....I have a few nice bottles tucked away just in case

Tony Falotico
11-24-2004, 10:23 PM
SIL #1 is smoking a turkey, SIL #2 is deep frying one. LOML insists that stuffing must be baked in the bird, so .............

Luckily, there will be enough family here to consume them. I can't decide which one I like best, they are all delicious. Nothing like the great deep smoked flavor (he plans on pecan wood this year), then again frying brings out the spices so well. But lets not forget LOML's traditional baked bird.

As for the wine, I'm not an authority on great wines, but SIL #2 manages a wine store in Tampa and brings me the most wonderful wines...........

Great food, wonderful wine, family, grandkids running all over the place (all five will be here)............It don't get better than this.

Happy Thanksgiving Too All my Friends at the Creek, may your lives be as richly blessed as mine.

Joe Mioux
11-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Mark, I too am a red fan.

A Pinoit, Merlot or a Gamay Beaujolais are my picks for turkey. I like Zins with more heartier "white" meats. I plan on being on a combo Quail, Chucker and Pheasant hunt on 14-Dec (which will be my first day off ((6 day work weeks)) all year) and if my eye is good, my family will be having some really good food christmas weekend. And I will be enjoying a really good Zinfandel.

Karl Laustrup
11-25-2004, 2:19 PM
For the 3rd year I'll be using a recipe from Alton Brown of the Food Network. It really keeps the bird's breast meat very moist. It involves soaking the bird in a 5 gallon can with a special mixture for at least 6 hours and includes some other aromatics stuffed in the bird for cooking. The dressing is done by itself and it will be OYSTER dressing. YUM!! YUM!! The prep time is rather long, but the end results are superb. I think anyone interested can download the recipe from the Food Network.

Note to Tim: That Garlic & Rosemary Lamb sounds delish. Do I have time to get there by the time it's done?:) Would like some info on that recipe if possible.
As I said in another thread on thanksgiving; KEEP OUR SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.

Karl

Jim Becker
11-25-2004, 2:39 PM
Karl, Alton is Dr. SWMBO's favorite "food network personality" and we often have his recipes. This Thanksgiving, however...we went with Emeril for our turkey breast. In a show last week, he did a great seasoned brining with a cranberry glaze that was interesting as well as a wild rice and cornbread stuffing. That's what we are having this time around. In past holiday meals when it was just the two of us or one other, we've done duck, lamb and pork, depending on the year. A big turkey is too much for the two of us, although the breast (bone-in) that we're having this year should be just right for the day and a few other meals afterward. (I normally prefer dark meat...but this one should be yummy!!)

Wines today will be a Pinot Noir for me and something white for Dr. SWMBO.

Karl Laustrup
11-25-2004, 2:54 PM
That sounds pretty good Jim. We really like turkey and don't limit ourselves to just Thanksgiving. As it's normally just the LOML and me we will do turkey breast several times during the year. It's just right and leaves just enough for a couple of sandwiches. When I do just breast I don't do the Alton thingy. What you described sounds good; I'll have to check it out and maybe try that next time we do just a turkey breast.
Getting really close to eatin' time. All the kids and grandkids are here [all 12 of us] and we are going to see who can fall asleep quickest after we eat. :D

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 3:09 PM
Charley just hit 173 degrees....7 to go....yeah I will shake hands with him ...just to make sure. We got this great meat thermometer that gives you the internal temp and time to go...its remote w/ a cable...

Matt Allan
11-25-2004, 4:19 PM
Karl, I am making that very same Alton Brown style turkey this year.. Caught the episode a few days ago and thought it looked good and would give that a try. Glad to hear someone else has done it already and enjoyed it..

Dan Mages
11-25-2004, 4:41 PM
This year my sister is cooking the bird... She will probably destroy it. She can't cook worth anything! I have some risotto cooking right now. I also have two loaves of bread from this morning and a fine abbey ale chocolate cake.

Wine? NAH! I have a good bottle of beer for the dinner. I think the best styles for turkey are Belgans and Farmhouse styles. I like Ommegang's beer, especially their Three Philosophers trippel. I also like a good lambic with desert, preferrably a kriek (cherry) or a frambois (rasperry) lambic from Cantillion or Lindemans. If pumpkin pie is in the offering, check out Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale. Its a nice brown ale with the right blend of pumpkin and spices.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Dan

Jim Becker
11-25-2004, 4:51 PM
Charley just hit 173 degrees....7 to go....yeah I will shake hands with him ...just to make sure. We got this great meat thermometer that gives you the internal temp and time to go...its remote w/ a cable...
You better get "Charley" out NOW...he will continue to cook for awhile, resulting in at least 10 degrees more internally. Too close to 200º may result in dry meat.

James Stokes
11-25-2004, 5:41 PM
Here is how I cook Turkey. Line a turkey roaster with aluminum foil. Season the turkey and place in the pan. Pour 1 qt water around the bird (not on it) Seal the top tight with more aluminum foil. Place in 500 degree oven, cook for 1 &1/2 hrs. Turn oven off and leave the bird in the closed oven for 3 & 1/2 hrs take out and eat.
What this does is pressure cooks the bird. When you take the bird out of the pan the meat will fall off the bone and the turkey will fall apart. You have to be carefull for this reason. The turkey is extremely moist and juicy.

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 5:45 PM
Jim,

Charley is out! I will let you know...Is it better to check the temp. at the breast or under the drumstick?

Matt Allan
11-25-2004, 6:29 PM
Jim,

Charley is out! I will let you know...Is it better to check the temp. at the breast or under the drumstick?
Mark,

In trying to decide how to do the turkey this year, I have found different recipes call for different placements and temps.
Some are in the thickest part of the breast you take out at 161, some in the fleshy part of a thigh you take out at 180.

I am fairly cooking ignorant outside of following individual recipes, but in my findings everyone has a place and a temp. I would just pick something and stick to it unless unlike me, you know what you are doing.. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-25-2004, 6:31 PM
I start by telling it the story of the first thanksgiving, then take out in the back yard, tell it that I can't let it have a last cigarette - I stopped smoking on St Valentines day 1987), then ask if it wants a black hood or would rather see it coming. I let it make it's peace with its maker, then:
.Let it go.

I don't like turkey - a nice thick fillet minion is more to my taste.

Just needed to have a little fun with you all.

Bruce

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 8:29 PM
OK we are eating as I speak...breast is great Thias a bit rare...sorry too much cab and merlot

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 8:31 PM
Matt,I am bad! and we are having a very nice time though...my sister brought nice nice cab...yeh very nice...tomorrow I will pick up the wood...I will be ok!

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 9:29 PM
We are working on a 1974 port.."Bandera" wooooooo! Happy thanks yall! From Portugal

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-25-2004, 9:44 PM
Here is how I prepare the turkey. I go in and hold his foot and tell how how sorry I am for what is happening. I tell him that soon he will be in a better place and that he is serving mankind today. Then I give him a big slug of whiskey followed by a glass of wine. Sorry, Just couldn't resist.(-: