PDA

View Full Version : Textured bowl rims w/ Sorby texturing tool

Mike Peace
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Here are a couple of small Dogwood bowls I turned to practice some different texturing techniques with my Sorby spiraling and texturing system. I tried to show a closeup of the detail. I turned them green but the tree had been standing at least six months after it had died before cutting. They don't appear to be going oval but it may be too early to tell.

They are about 5.5" in diameter and about 2" tall. Finished with Minwax Tung Oil.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Mike - very clean spiraling work - really like it! Sure adds something a little different! Thanks for sharing!

Robert McGowen
06-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Very nice work, Mike. It looks like you can really jazz up some bowls with that.

Michelle Rich
06-04-2010, 5:48 AM
very nice details on very nice bowls

Donny Lawson
06-04-2010, 6:46 AM
Nice bowls. I've been looking at this system but was trying to figure out how hard it is to use.How was your experience and was it hard to work with?
Donny

John Keeton
06-04-2010, 7:34 AM
Mike, aside from the nice texturing, those are really good looking bowls!! I like the dogwood - very clean looking wood for these forms.

I am interested in hearing about the learning curve, as well.

Tim Rinehart
06-04-2010, 8:32 AM
I like both of the pieces alot, and am jealous of the great work with your tool. I have a mini Sorby spiraling tool, and got frustrated trying to use it on a piece of poplar for a project...yea, I know, too soft.
I will try again, as it is kinda fun.

Great finish work. I have some dogwood I just split and sealed from a club meeting drawing, and am anxious to turn it. Most of the dogwood I've gotten othewise, was too small.

Again, nice work!

PS: One suggestion, the latter piece may benefit from a lid and finial...something to play with if interested. It just has one of those shapes that could go with or without a lid/finial if you think about experimenting.

David E Keller
06-04-2010, 8:44 AM
Great work on the texturing. I think it really adds to the overall look.

John Hart
06-04-2010, 9:51 AM
A couple of delightful pieces for sure! :)

Frank Van Atta
06-04-2010, 2:50 PM
Some great texturing work for "practice." My experience with green Dogwood has been that if it doesn't warp and crack in the first 37 minutes after you get it in the shop, then it isn't going to. :D

Roland Martin
06-04-2010, 3:50 PM
Very nice bowls and texturing. I'll be anxious to hear how the learning curve went. One way or another, one wouldn't think these were your first two. Nice job!

Mike Peace
06-04-2010, 5:23 PM
Actually they are not my first use with the Sorby Texturing tool. I just wanted to learn how use for some different patterns. I found a great picture on another site by Eugen Schlaak showing about 40 different rims done with the texturning/spiraling tool that got me inspired to try more.

Like any tool there is a learning curve but I do not think it is that difficult once you understand the basics. Sorby has about three different videos on their web site showing spiraling and texturing. It does great with Bradford Pear. I have the larger tool but I think the smaller one can do very similar results but probably not on large bowls or platters.

Here is an attempt to spiral on the side of a Dogwood bowl that did not go so well. You can see some of the whispy tearout on the lower left and the front. I think the problem was the ratio of the wheel to the bowl. When it is perfect it cuts very clean but when the ratio is off, once it comes back around therer can be some overlap in the spirals that get cut again in some areas. It is a fun tool to play with.

Pete Jordan
06-04-2010, 7:05 PM
Great work as usual, Mike

I am going to borrow a set of these. Do you have any tips?

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2010, 7:59 PM
Mike those look great. I just bought one of the Sorby texturing tools.

Mike Peace
06-04-2010, 8:02 PM
Pete, here are a few tips:

Watch the three Sorby videos before starting
Always true-up the bowl or platter surface before texturing. Use a pencil to test for a trued up surface.
Sand to at least 240 grit before texturing
The spiral cutter fits with the bevel side on top
Mark the boundaries of the area you are going to texture with a spear point scraper or skew on its side.
Speed 500 RPM plus or minus 200 RPM for the larger system
Don’t spiral past #1 setting when starting out
The wheel is presented perpendicular to the wood surface. So if doing outside of a bowl or platter move uphill for better control
If the texturing wheel is pressed in to the wood and held tight while moving sideways it will produce a line pattern instead of random dots.
Always move tool into the direction of the slanted wheel /---> \<---

Pete Jordan
06-04-2010, 9:00 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I will borrow the set next week and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Allen Neighbors
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Wonderful!! Both of 'em.

Paul Douglass
06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I really like the addition to a bowl. I have the micro set, only tried it once but I like it and want to get more practice with it. Someday when I grow up I want the full size set.

Curt Fuller
06-05-2010, 1:41 PM
Those are both beautiful bowls and some of the best examples of what can be done with the sorby tool. Thanks for sharing.