PDA

View Full Version : SlimLines A-Plenty.

James Combs
06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I am going to a craft show Saturday so I am making a few pens to see if they sell.

This first batch are SlimLines.

From Left to right:
Purple Heart in Gold, Dogwood in Gold, Apple in Gold, Bocote(my best guess) in Chrome, Black & White Ebony in Black Titanium, "Piano Key" in Black Titanium.;)

So what kind of wood is piano key you ask.

The black keys from a piano of course.:D Now that was some tight drilling. Not much to work with in wall thickness after it was drilled. The keys are fairly small and aren't long enough to cut into two pieces so there are 2 keys used to make one pen. You can't tell it from the photo but the top is darker then the bottom. The two keys were different colors. The bottom is actually a very dark brown where the upper one is more or less black. I am not sure how or what they are made from but the brown one has a wood grain pattern that was visible during sanding.

Comments and critiques welcome as usual.

Brian Greb
06-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Nice pens, those should sell quick!

As for piano keys they are generaly ebony, but depending on the piano manufacture they may be Gabon ebony, mascar ebony or African black-wood ( a very deep brown/ black rosewood)... My dad tells me that some times the black keys are "fools ebony", that would be an ebonised lesser wood. Newer pianos have plastic keys. That's what I know about that.

Did I mention nice pens... Keep up the good work.

David E Keller
06-04-2010, 8:40 AM
Nice looking pens... I'm not sure about the bocote. The bocote I've seen is yellow and black with very distinct grain. It smells a bit like pickles when turned and is very oily. I'm looking at the photos on a phone so it's hard for me to say.

Matt Ranum
06-04-2010, 8:45 AM
Nice looking assortment you have there. Hope you do well at the show!

Marc Ward
06-04-2010, 9:24 AM
I am going to a craft show Saturday so I am making a few pens to see if they sell.

This first batch are SlimLines.

I am doing my first craft show in two weeks...what will be your pricing on those pens at the show?

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2010, 9:27 AM
Great looking assortment James. Those should sell well.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Very nice work on all the pens James! Best of luck with your sales!

James Combs
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I am doing my first craft show in two weeks...what will be your pricing on those pens at the show?

I generally price slimlines as follows:
domestic wood found in my shop $20, exotic wood or other materials that I have to purchase $25.
However, the ebony (piano key) pen I think I will ask $30 (and take what I can get;)) Hope this helps.

Marc Ward
06-05-2010, 7:57 AM
I generally price slimlines as follows:
domestic wood found in my shop $20, exotic wood or other materials that I have to purchase $25.
However, the ebony (piano key) pen I think I will ask $30 (and take what I can get;)) Hope this helps.

Thanks James, just what I was looking for. Here is a figured mesquite rollerball that I gave to a customer. He was thrilled.

http://www.pbase.com/mward/image/124852189.jpg