PDA

View Full Version : Oil Problem - New Solution

Jon Lanier
06-03-2010, 8:52 PM
I just seen this commercial for "Mighty Fix It." Claims to plug up any hole/leak even when wet. So, why not just grab a bunch of this stuff and plug the Oil hole in the gulf? After all it is guaranteed to work or your money back. :D

https://www.mightyfixit.com/

John Coloccia
06-03-2010, 9:17 PM
20 miles of that stuff, 4 million Shamwows and 10 million gallons of Didi Seven should do it.

Brian Cover
06-04-2010, 9:22 PM
They want to cap and then continue pumping oil from the pipe. That will save them millions of dollars by eliminating the need to drill a new well.

As far as the product you suggest, it does not hold and seal against a pressurized leak.

Roger Newby
06-05-2010, 7:55 AM
What would Billie Mays do? :confused:

Rick Potter
06-08-2010, 3:12 AM
It is New Orleans, maybe they should get a boat load of Zatarans spicy rice and force it down the hole. The rice expands, the leak stops, shrimp eat the leftovers and become giant shrimp; bloated, they float to the surface, get covered in oil, fishermen scoop them off the surface, and sell them in the BP convenience stores, as Spicy Giant Shrimp with Fried Rice, New Orleans style.

Sorry, I am up too late again.

Rick Potter

Cody Colston
06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
They want to cap and then continue pumping oil from the pipe. That will save them millions of dollars by eliminating the need to drill a new well.

As far as the product you suggest, it does not hold and seal against a pressurized leak.

If BP could have stopped the well from flowing, they would have done so about 50 days ago. To suggest otherwise shows how little you know about producing oil in the deepwater GoM.

BTW, BP are drilling TWO relief wells as we speak, just to try to kill the one that is flowing. Oil doesn't get "pumped" out of the ground offshore. If it doesn't flow on it's on and at a high rate, it's not economically feasible to develop the field. If the well had not blown out, BP would have eventually drilled many more wells in the Macondo field in order to drain it. Depending on the structure, they might even drill several water injection wells to help maintain the reservoir pressure and keep the oil at the top. It's a secondary recovery method caled water flood and has been in use since the thirties.

The Discoverer Enterprise is the drillship which is processing the oil that is flowing to surface from the subsea well. The production equipment on board can only handle 15,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day and they are near that rate now.

At the max rate of 15,000 bopd, figuring $70 per barrel that comes to $1.05 million dollars. The Discoverer Enterprise alone costs ~$600,000 per day. BP's total cost per day for trying to control the well and the clean-up is probably in the $10 million per day range...maybe higher.

BTW, I'm not defending BP. They let that well get out of control and even their response is handicapped by the ridiculous processes that drive the company. I know, I worked for them until March 1 of this year.

But, even though it's cool to criticize and accuse Big Oil, there is so much mis-information surrounding the spill and the response that I simply get irritated reading all of it.

Before people put stuff like that in print, they should really know the facts, IMHO.

End of rant.