PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Universal Professional Series 60 Watt (Blue) Laser

Brian Knuckles
06-03-2010, 7:18 PM
Hello there...

I have a new (new to me) Universal 60 watt laser and I am trying to dial it in.
I also have a 120 watt epilog legend. Right now my legend is twice as fast and it also seems that the image is lasered a lot crisper on the epilog.

My universal has a 1.5 lense. My image density is set to 2.

I'm really looking to use it to engrave granite. If anyone can give me there settings that would help.

Dan Hintz
06-03-2010, 7:35 PM
Here's a list of the dpi image density settings, from 1 to 6:
75 150 250 333 500 1000

I would move to a 2" lens for granite and bump up to image density 3 or 4 (but no more for granite). Make sure you're truly focused (don't count on the measuring tool to be accurate out of the box, verify it for yourself).

With a 2" lens, I'm at about 1/4 power at full speed. You'll have to trim that value down if you stick with the 1.5" lens.

Scott Shepherd
06-03-2010, 7:37 PM
Your image density is set to 2? That's almost a proofing setting to make sure you're lined up right before engraving.

You need to be in the 4 at the minimum, 5 probably better. Almost everything I engrave is done at Image Density of 5.

Speed 100, not sure on the power, I don't have a 60watt. PPI doesn't mean anything, so that can be zero or 1000, doesn't matter for rastering.

Edit, Dan beat me to it. I forgot you said you have a 1.5 lens. That will make a definite difference in the time if you are comparing it against a 2" epilog lens.

Dan Hintz
06-03-2010, 8:17 PM
Steve,

I don't bother going above 4 on such a low-resolution substrate like granite... marble, yes, but not granite (though it's possible I just haven't come across a quality piece of fine-grained granite, so take that with a grain of salt).

For a 1.5" lens, I'd probably be in the 10P area...

Bill Cunningham
06-03-2010, 9:51 PM
Steve,

I don't bother going above 4 on such a low-resolution substrate like granite... marble, yes, but not granite (though it's possible I just haven't come across a quality piece of fine-grained granite, so take that with a grain of salt).

For a 1.5" lens, I'd probably be in the 10P area...

Even the high quality very fine grain granite that lasersketch calls marble, is still a low res medium compared to even cheap H.D. real marble..