PDA

View Full Version : Look what I caught fishing.......

Robert McGowen
06-03-2010, 5:16 PM
I took my three sons fishing last week just south of San Antonio, TX. While loading up the boat, I spotted a large mesquite log lying on the ground. After looking it over, I could tell that it was just cut, as there were still green leaves on a couple of twigs and it had no checking at all. I spoke to the grounds guy and he said that he had not been able to cut it up any more, as it was too big for his chainsaw. I told him that I could help him get rid of it (:D) and he was more than happy for me to help him out. (I am nice like that. :rolleyes:) It took all three sons and myself to hoist it up into the back of a suburban. It is almost 4' tall and approx. 30" at it's thickest point. It has to be one of the largest pieces of mesquite I will ever get a hold of. The pictures of it are of it standing up in my backyard.

bob svoboda
06-03-2010, 5:27 PM
WOW...that's a monster. Surely some good turnings will come from that. Can't wait to see pictures of the results.

John Keeton
06-03-2010, 5:46 PM
A good creeker would always be mindful of their friends!!;):):cool:

If you can get my share up to Dallas, I will have my daughter bring it the rest of the way to KY!:D:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2010, 5:50 PM
Excellent gloat Robert!!! Can't wait to see what you turn out of it!

Any luck fishing?

Ray Bell
06-03-2010, 6:29 PM
Nice "catch" Robert. Let us know how you cook that thing.

Richard Madison
06-03-2010, 6:52 PM
You're gonna need a bigger chainsaw Robert.

charlie knighton
06-03-2010, 7:44 PM
fantastic, amazing what you can stumble across, you will still be grinning xmas :D

alex carey
06-03-2010, 8:48 PM
SNAP, thats a big piece of mesquite, good luck with it.

Aaron Wingert
06-03-2010, 8:59 PM

If you can get my share up to Dallas, I will have my daughter bring it the rest of the way to KY!:D:D

If we all get a piece I bet we could each make a bottle stopper! :p

Great find Robert! Funny what can be found when you don't even realize you're looking!

David E Keller
06-03-2010, 9:12 PM
Great gloat. Nice that you had three young men to help you load that monster in the vehicle.

gary Zimmel
06-03-2010, 9:18 PM
Sweet catch Robert!

Paul Douglass
06-03-2010, 9:22 PM
Now that is better than fish!

Cathy Schaewe
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Wow, what a gorgeous piece of wood! If you can get double John's share to Dallas, and he can get it to Kentucky, I can relieve him of half of it and get it to NY. Surely you can't turn that much in a lifetime!

Way to go!!!:D :D

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
That ought to keep ya busy for a day or two. Great gloat.

Donny Lawson
06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
That looks like Mulberry bark.
Donny

Bill Bulloch
06-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I hope those vines growing on it is not poison ivy. If it is, I hope you and the boys covered your arms and hands.

I lived in San Antonio for a few years back in the 70s, fished at Medina Lake a lot, but never knew what a mesquite tree looked like. Of course I was not turning then, had I been I am sure I would have paid more attention.

Happy turning

steven carter
06-04-2010, 8:49 AM
Robert,

Way to keep you eye out! Looks like a great haul. I received the mesquite you sent me and turned it last night. Will post after letting the finish cure and buffing.

Steve

Tony De Masi
06-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice catch there Robert. Good thing you had the boys with ya too. We can't lift stuff like that anymore at our age.

Tony

Nick Mastropietro
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM

John, now that your a moderator it's your responsibility to help further your hobby and a great way to do that would be to share pieces of anything Robert might send you:D Ya I think it's written in the "Rules and Regulations Governing Moterators Handbook" :o;)