PDA

View Full Version : Think this would work for a quick door?

Brian Penning
06-03-2010, 5:02 PM
Glue 2 sheets of veneered ply together.
Add solid edge trim around the perimeter.

Perhaps even cutting out some sections and install thinner panels to give a panelled look.

Main worry is if it would warp/bow?

Aaron Berk
06-03-2010, 5:34 PM
My first question is, interior door right?

Next questions: Cabinet or full size? Permanent, or temporary? What thickness plywood?

I think you'd be able to "swing it":cool: if your edging is acclimated properly, and straight. I don't think I'd do it though, unless this is a utility door or something.

glenn bradley
06-03-2010, 6:28 PM
It would be heavy for an interior door and probably ill suited as an exterior door. I assume it is exterior as an interior door is much less money than 2 sheets of almost any plywood. I might do it to get me through a month of construction work on an outbuilding or something like that. JMHO.

Joe Chritz
06-03-2010, 7:56 PM
It is pretty standard practice to make slab doors by edge banding MDF core with solid wood and veneering both sides. Plywood works but depending on the quality warping can always be an issue.

Joe

Peter Quinn
06-03-2010, 8:19 PM
Sure it would work. But if its for exterior, I'd think the cost of two sheets of an exterior grade cabinet grade plywood plus the edge banding would cost more than a solid core slab already made for you. Unless the size is quite odd I don't see the advantage. By the time you buy a vacuum press or make enough cauls to glue a 36"+ door up you could probably buy a decent entry way and still be ahead. DAMHIK

You are talking just over $120 to buy a basic insulated steel or solid core (ie chunk of plywood 1 3/4" think they have edge banded for you) door, and just a bit more to get a few windows in it if you care for that. I might hang a home spun CDX door during construction (demolition phase) but much beyond that it makes little sense. You could skin a solid core door to look like any entry way you wanted for real cheap and have a beautiful entry way. Just a thought.