PDA

View Full Version : Who has a power feeder.....

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 2:15 PM
that wouldn't mind taking a few measurements? I am trying to find a feeder that will fit on a shaper that has about 3X5 area to mount behind the fence. I'm looking for the dimension of the pedestal for the upright support. the photo will show the small area that I have to work with. If I can't find something off the shelf I'll either make a base or add a cast iron wing from a table saw or something simular.

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 2:17 PM
Forgot the photo!!!!!!!!

Jeff Monson
06-03-2010, 2:30 PM
David, I think you will have to make some type of extension to mount a feeder on a small shaper, here are a couple photos provided by a fellow creeker who did just that, maybe Cameron will chime in with some more info.

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 2:54 PM
Yeah baby! I knew someone else had to have done this before. I hadn't considered that small of an extension because of the table size to start with, but heck that works. Cool beans thanks for the photo

Rod Sheridan
06-03-2010, 2:58 PM
Another mounting method.............Rod.

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 3:03 PM
Ayeah, I see this is a problem that not just a few have encountered. Looks good Rod.

Paul McGaha
06-03-2010, 5:47 PM
David,

The pictures in Jeff Monson's post look to me to be the same shaper as yours.

If so, that mount should work perfectly for your shaper.

PHM

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 6:15 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking also.

lawrence dosson
06-03-2010, 7:14 PM
david
what i did was bolt a 2x3 heavy angle iron full width of table right were the extra table would be "just made my table 3 inches wider" used the mounting bolt holes that aready exsisted. put in a cupple gusits were the feeder sets and drilled the angle iron for the feeder it made the feeder fit and did not reguire drilling any holes in my shaper lawrence

Joe Chritz
06-03-2010, 7:53 PM
I had a Comatic 1 HP for a few minutes until I discovered UPS destroyed it in transit.

Another is on the way and I have the base is you want me to take a measurement. It is substantial to say the least.

Joe

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 9:10 PM
I had a Comatic 1 HP for a few minutes until I discovered UPS destroyed it in transit.

Another is on the way and I have the base is you want me to take a measurement. It is substantial to say the least.

Joe

Good lord, I do remember a mini stealth gloat the other day! Sorry to hear that. Its a mother waiting on stuff just to find it ruined.

David Nelson1
06-03-2010, 9:17 PM

Joe

Yeah, take a measurement please the more info I have the better. Alot of web site have the major measurements. (or none @ all)

Jeff Duncan
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Bases are generally 5-1/4" x 6" or so. I say generally b/c many share the same hole pattern.
I think you'll probably need some sort of extension as you have very little space available, and some of that space may also have ribs on the bottom which you need to avoid. But it looks like you already have a few good options from the previous replies.
good luck,
JeffD

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Make sure you watch for ribs under the table where you plan to drill and plan enough room for the socket to get in there too.

Joe Chritz
06-04-2010, 3:48 PM
5.25 x 6

I doubt you will find any much bigger or smaller. The base on my long since dead baby feeder is really close to that size as well.

Joe

Jeff Monson
06-04-2010, 4:03 PM
I'd also be careful mounting a heavy feeder on such a small footprint, I would think one would need some type of counter weight or be very careful when swinging the feeder out of the way.

David Nelson1
06-04-2010, 5:22 PM
The STEFF Maggi 2034 Power Feeder has a 4.5 X 4.5 base. I know because I asked the seller. I missed the auction closing, because I wasn't certain that it would fit.

For the counter weight problem, I'm thinking that the weight will be in front of the fence even if it's not in use.

Jeff Duncan
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I think what Jeff meant was typically when your not using the power feeder it gets swung out away from the fence and cabinet. Typically overhanging the cabinet by a good amount therefore creating a lot of counterweight.
Having the feeder in front of the fence generally isn't practical as it's now in your way while your making adjustments, replacing cutters, etc..
I'm not sure there would really be enough weight to tip a small cabinet.....but I don't have any small shapers so???

JeffD

J.R. Rutter
06-05-2010, 12:49 PM
The STEFF Maggi 2034 Power Feeder has a 4.5 X 4.5 base. I know because I asked the seller. I missed the auction closing, because I wasn't certain that it would fit.

For the counter weight problem, I'm thinking that the weight will be in front of the fence even if it's not in use.

Not quite - here's the maggi spec for the base:

http://www.factorynew.com/literature.aspx?ScanLetter=E&TB=2&catID=FR&machtype=35&ScanName=STEFF/2034&ScanPages=7&length=30&width=33&height=13&weight=135&recnum=FR-300038&brand=STEFF&model=2034/1&locfob=SANTA+FE+SPRINGS,+CA

David Nelson1
06-05-2010, 1:02 PM
I didn't think about making adjustments. Something to consider.

David Nelson1
06-05-2010, 1:09 PM
Not quite - here's the maggi spec for the base:

http://www.factorynew.com/literature.aspx?ScanLetter=E&TB=2&catID=FR&machtype=35&ScanName=STEFF/2034&ScanPages=7&length=30&width=33&height=13&weight=135&recnum=FR-300038&brand=STEFF&model=2034/1&locfob=SANTA+FE+SPRINGS,+CA

OK, 107mm is equal to 4.2 inches and 89mm is 3.5 inches. That is center to center of the holes. You still have edge distance thats not accounted for in that diagram. I think 4.5 was a good round figure, if where not trying to split hairs. Thanks for the help.