PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Hollow Form

Ken Vonk
06-03-2010, 1:36 PM
Here is another piece I delivered to the Gallery this last weekend. This piece is 9 1/2" in diameter and 11" tall overall. The finial and inset collar are claro walnut. I used crushed turquoise for the rings around the collar. It's been hollowed to abouit 1/4" thick and has several coats of gloss WOP and then beall buffed and waxed with Ren. wax. The maple was a gift from my Mom and Dad. Several people asked about where I got the buckeye from the piece I posted yesterday. That buckeye was also a gift from Mom and Dad :-)). Your comments and critique are requested and appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

John Keeton
06-03-2010, 1:40 PM
Well, first let me get my address to your folks so I can get on the "gift list!!"

Ken, this piece is really nice, and you certainly are going to have a wonderful selection to be featured at the gallery. I love the burl, and the Claro is one of my favorite woods. I am sure that this pic doesn't do either full justice.

The inlays add a lot to this piece, as well.

Good form, well executed!

Ken Vonk
06-03-2010, 1:43 PM
You sure are fast at the keyboard...lol Thanks John.

Ken

John Keeton
06-03-2010, 1:55 PM
Ken, I didn't want to reveal this, but when one becomes a Moderator, we have a "visual" on the keyboard and monitor of every member of the creek. We know what you are posting before you ever hit Enter!!!:D:D:D I had my post ready and waiting....:rolleyes::cool:

Tim Rinehart
06-03-2010, 2:21 PM
Between John K and Ken V...the recent beautiful stuff I've seen flow out has me absolutely going nuts. Sometimes too much inspiration is just ... well, too much.

Guys, please consider pacing yourselves to the level of us average joes who just want to digest what we just saw, before overwhelming us with more outstanding eye-candy like this!!!

In all honesty though, beautiful piece Ken. I used to think it was enough to let a nice piece of wood like burl do the talking, but seeing the embellishments done so well without distracting from the piece is a nice touch.

ps: very nice balance and lift, great proportions in my book anyday.

pss: ok, David has convinced me that the pace is actually not a bad thing...so, on that note...have at it John, Ken, and the rest of you inspirational turners...inspire us and may we become better from it!!

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2010, 2:40 PM
"John K and Ken V...Guys, please consider pacing yourselves..."

Nooooo!!! Belay that! Go for it. Don't waste a moment worrying about anything except filling the world with beautiful objects at the most prolific rate you can possibly achieve. I know Tim, that you are being complimentary but I like to see the bar set high. It inspires everyone to work to an ever increasing (hopefully) level. Just be sure to have fun doing it!

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2010, 5:17 PM
Very impressive HF Ken! Great form - absolutely beautiful wood! I like turquoise and adding it to the piece really adds a touch of unexpected color!

Very nice work! Best of luck with your show!

charlie knighton
06-03-2010, 7:52 PM
very nice....

David E Keller
06-03-2010, 7:59 PM
Beautiful... Simply beautiful.

Have your parents ever thought of adopting a turner from Oklahoma?:D

Ken Vonk
06-03-2010, 9:41 PM
David, I already live in eastern Oklahoma....lol I'm just over the border into Arkansas!! You should see the BIG pieces I have left to turn :D:D:D

Ken

Toney Robertson
06-03-2010, 9:44 PM
That is SWEET.

Beautiful wood and love the turquoise.

Just a well executed piece.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Beautiful HF. Really great form and wood.

Brian Effinger
06-03-2010, 10:11 PM
That has a beautiful form, gorgeous wood, and I really like the turquoise. Very well done, Ken. :)

Frank Van Atta
06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
A truly beautiful piece; well done.

Michelle Rich
06-04-2010, 5:53 AM
there is not one thing about this that is not first rate. Lovely form.

George Guadiane
06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Maybe it was on another site, or MAYBE I just THOUGHT I had already commented on this piece, but WOW!!! This is NICE, in every way that there is.
G

Norm Zax
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Extreme wow. Love the wood and the workmanship.

Matt Hutchinson
06-04-2010, 2:10 PM
Awesome piece Ken! I really like the accent of the turqoise, not to mention that's one great finish! Thanks for sharing!

Hutch

George Morris
06-05-2010, 9:33 AM
Ken great work! Very well done! G

Greg Ketell
06-05-2010, 10:59 AM
That is a stellar piece!! Great form, great wood, and great finish. You got it all!