PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Wenge Scraps, for my Ed Brown

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 1:19 PM
Had a few scraps of some really crazy grained Wenge left over, decide to try my hand at making some custom pistol grips for my favorite Ed Brown 1911 (Special Forces), there isn't any finish on them, but the final fitting seems to be a perfect fit, now off to wipe a few coats of tung oil on them I'll post the finished product when they are dried and polished, in the meantime I hope you enjoy. (I know what I am going to be doing with all of my small scraps from now on! :D) Only took a couple of hours worth of work too, and I really enjoyed the project! I think some bloodwood and Zebrawood scraps are next. (Over the years I knew I kept all those little pieces for a good reason)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/005-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/002-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/021.jpg

Ken Garlock
06-03-2010, 1:38 PM
Beautiful work, Rick:cool:

I am guessing that your grips are copies of the originals, or close to them? Regardless of their design, they are very good.:)

One question, how many splinters did did your have to remove from your hands?;)

Ben Hatcher
06-03-2010, 1:44 PM
Sweet looking grips, Rick! Sounds like a nice little side business to me.

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 1:52 PM
Thanks fellas! Yes Ken they are copies of the originals, and surprisingly, I didn't end up with a single splinter while making them, I take it you have worked with wenge before LOL. Honestly I think the only splinter I got from the wenge, was a small one when I was carrying the rough cut boards, Oops! luckily no other ones though ;)

Jason Strauss
06-03-2010, 2:55 PM
Very nice, Rick! Those sure would look nice on my carry .45 - Springfield V10 Officer's Model. I've always thought I'd like to try making grips one day. Can you decsribe a little about how you did it (tools, technique, etc.)?

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 3:16 PM
Jason, I tend to do all of my stuff kinda just by the seat of my pants, so there was not really any planning involved.
I traced the original grips out on a piece of probably 1/2" to 3/8" thick piece of wenge.

I drilled the partial holes (for the magazine catch and the rivets on what would become the edge of the gips first.

Then I sawed just on the outside of the line I traced with the bandsaw.

Since these are the first ones I made, I tried shaping them with a saw handle makers' rasp. But quickly decided that it was a little awkward for me to hold onto the piece and get the curves to come out right. So I went with the default and shaped the curves on a belt sander inverted on my bench.

Once I was satisfied with the shape, (not completely refined yet but really close) I drilled the holes for the bolts, then countersunk both sides (bolt brackets on the gun frame and for the head of the bolts) Once I had them test fitted and I refined the shape to fit the frame how I wanted it (really minor fit at this point).

Once that was done, I set up the router table, to route the indent for the ambi safety, and cut the otherside for the recess that fits the safety detent spring. ;) I did it all pretty much by eye, and looking at the originals.

Then sanded to 600 grit. Turned out great. I just finished "slathering" them with a second coat of finish.

The great thing about the 1911, unlike Sig Sauers and some of the "modern" weapons, is that there is nothing in the grip that will affect operation of the firearm. Sigs require a tolerance to support the springs behind the grip. Get this wrong and there is a slim risk of malfunction.

I say give it a go on your Springfield! The Ed Brown is my Carry weapon, and my favorite handgun I've ever had. I have a Springfield Operator TRP, if I didn't love the grips so much that are already on it, I would be making a new set of them for it. It really wasnt a difficult process, the real key is in the final fitting, and it's all just eyeballing it, and being pretty dilligent about getting everything in the right place. Now that I know how to do it, and don't have to figure everything out, it will probably take me about an hour from start to final fitting. Give it a go, it was a good way to keep a little busy.

I'm thinking I need a set of grips for everyday of the week now :D

Tom Vanzant
06-03-2010, 4:26 PM
Rick,
Years ago, Dean Grindell (sp) had an article in Shooting Times Magazine on how to make grips for the 1911. It included dimensions and angles for the basic grip and also for a shop-made stepped drill for the recesses for the screws. I have long since lost the magazine, but I made a cutting jig for the grips, blocks to hold Gov't and Officers' grips while sanding the contour... same method you use... belt sander in a vise.
My carry Commander has grips from a piece of crotch walnut, and my Officers' a set from Macassar ebony. I made and sold several sets in walnut, Mac. ebony, Gaboon ebony, Zebra wood, BE maple w/ a dark stain, even one set of quarter-sawn cherry... a specifically requested wood. They were plain but had that typical cherry shimmer.
I got my walnut at a woodyard that let me pick and choose... I took the knottiest planks in the load, just for the wonderful grain around the knots, and usually got a discount because of the ugly wood. When the yard went out of business, I bought a lot of straight-grained wood and shared my little secret with the owner.
Tom

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 5:03 PM
Nice Tom! I have some ideas, most of which involve similar ones to yours, the little "ugly" areas in hardwoods that I usually aren't asthetically pleasing in a piece of furniture, or in a box I might be making. I have a nice piece of beautiful swirly bloodwood, that surrounds a knot, that will become a set of grips.

I am also interested in learning how to do checkering, and found a set of checkering tools online which I will probably invest in. I know that is going to take a significant amount of practice, but I really enjoy detail oriented tasks like that. In the meantime, I will just make a bunch out of some cool woods I come across.

I am fortunate to have a wonderful family owned millwork and hardwood lumber shop here in town, that I frequent. He always has something that gets the creative gears going. He hasn't had ebony in quite awhile, I've been hoping that he gets some eventually again. I have my eye, on a particular piece of burl that he has had for at least the 9 years I have been going. It's priced "not to sell" but I have decided that I am going to get it. It might take awhile, but It is probably one of the only times in my life I will ever be able to find anything like it. If I do, it will definitely become a gloat on here! Its tucked away neatly in his office, we will see if he is actually willing to get rid of it.

If you come across the magazine article, or it "pops into your head" let me know, I would be interested in trying to find it.

Maybe one day I will sell some, In the meantime I really enjoyed making these. It was a good evening project.

After hand shaping a Wenge saw handle, I have decided to try (in the near future) making some rifle stocks. But we will see what the future holds ;)

Jay Maiers
06-03-2010, 5:17 PM
Wow!

Very nice work! I wish I could put grips on my XD...

I might just have to break down and buy a 1911 ;)

Michael Handrinos
06-03-2010, 5:30 PM
Buy one and you'll buy more. Trust me.

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 7:57 PM
Buy one and you'll buy more. Trust me.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Jay... Be careful though... Once you drink that Kool-aid there is no turning back! :cool:

Your XD might end up being like my Sig Sauers... someone elses now! :D

Joe Chritz
06-03-2010, 8:25 PM
Ain't that the truth!!!

Jay... Be careful though... Once you drink that Kool-aid there is no turning back! :cool:

Your XD might end up being like my Sig Sauers... someone elses now! :D

Ouch!

I did get paid all day today to shoot my sig with someone else ammo though. :D

Nice looking grips.

Joe

glenn bradley
06-03-2010, 8:31 PM
Those are sweet lookin'.

Andrew Gibson
06-03-2010, 8:45 PM
Looks great Rick. My latest scrap project is in finishing stage right now... but I know I have a bunch of small scraps in the box waiting to be turned into something. As of late they have all been delegated to tool making.

I can't wait to see the grips when finished.

One of these days when I actually have an income I need to get my cc.

Rick Markham
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
It's definitely a good thing to have... long story that doesn't involve woodworking ;)

Joe Chritz
06-04-2010, 3:54 PM
It's definitely a good thing to have... long story that doesn't involve woodworking ;)

A CPL (CC) or income?:D

Joe

Rick Markham
06-04-2010, 4:36 PM
A CPL (CC) or income?:D

Joe

My suggestion is the same for this, as it is for comparing two different 1911's or two bandsaws... I say get both!! :D

Van Huskey
06-05-2010, 6:37 AM
Very nice Rick, the grain really was perfect especially considering you started from scarp. Given I'm an ugly gun guy (Glocks) they can't/wouldn't benefit from such a nice treatment! I did have a Wilson Combat 1911 for a while but haven't had a 1911 or .45 ACP since.

Tony Shea
06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Great job Rick. I have also tried my hand out for making grips for a couple of my revolvers and really liked the outcome. Nothing like customizing your guns yourself to fit your personality. And again, great taste in weaponry. Good old Ed Brown always gets me excited. You've inspired me to go ahead and make some grips for my 1911's which I have been planning on doing but just haven't gotten around to them. After seeing what that wenge did for your SF Ed Brown I am starting this evening.

And I agree with the fact that you could easily do pretty well at selling some of these. If they only take you a couple hours I would think it would be well worth the effort. I think you'd end up with a huge backlog of orders as these would sell like hotcakes. I've seen where some individuals have gone this route and have done extremely well with it, especially once you get a few under your belt.

Rick Markham
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks Tony, I am planning on making a bunch more! If I sell some, or if it turns into a monster backlog then all the better ;) In the meantime its a fun use for my scraps! I am glad that you are inspired, I am looking forward to see yours! Time for an update since I am done finishing them :D

Rick Markham
06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Here's what they look like finished. I put an extremely durable absolutely clear water based finish made for hardwood floors, they should resist dings and scratches really really well I hope you like them. I think they look amazing now that they are done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/003-4.jpg

J. Linwood Jackson
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
all i got to say is...ya might want to put some sort of oil on that er something. sometimes the dust from wenge can cause contact dermititus..and ya dont want to be touchin ya tool after touchin wenge either. not trying to be gross or anything...I work with a lot of wenge...it is amazing..but is has all sorts of unique thorns that come it. the splinters is one...LOL...
I have two 8/4x22"Wx9' long wenge slabs i have yet to handplane realllly flat due to these issues.....
everyone i asked to wide belt sand them laughed in my face...the ones that sort of knew the wood... LOL...cant blame them...

Rick Markham
06-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, they are clear coated now, I posted a new pic... if you follow the "more replies below" thingy you will see how they turned out. Oh I definitely wouldn't want bare wood with that stuff. "Yowsah... don't need no extra particulates in my particulars... or peculiars fer that matter!" ;)