PDA

View Full Version : It would be hard to have this much class..

Kent A Bathurst
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Even as a die-hard, lifelong Tigers fan, I have to admire Joyce as well as Galarraga and Leyland for their attitudes in the aftermath:

Excerpted from The Detroit News:

Jim Joyce was like a person at fault in an accident scene, his emotional state chaotic and distraught. "I missed it, I missed it," Joyce barked, his voice at the extreme end of anguished. "I took a perfect game from that kid who pitched a perfect game. It was the biggest call of my career and I kicked the (stuff) out of it. I'm sorry. I had a great angle and I missed the call. At that time I thought he beat the ball. I asked the guy in the (video) room to cue up the play as soon as we got in here. And I missed it from here to that wall. I don't blame the Tigers for anything that was said after the game. If I had been Galarraga, I would have been the first one in my face, and he never said a word to me. This wasn't a call, this was a history call. And I kicked the (stuff) out of it."

Joyce later met with Galarraga, who said, "He feels really bad, probably worse than me. I give a lot of credit to that guy, to say he's sorry. I gave him a hug. His body English said more than the words. Nobody's perfect."

(Tiger's Manager Jim) Leyland heard about Joyce's psychological state in the Tigers clubhouse. "I gotta get over there," the Tigers manager said, heading for the doorway, and for the tunnel leading to the umpire's dressing room. Leyland returned 15 minutes later. "He's better now," the manager said, forgiving an umpire who could not forgive himself.

dennis thompson
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I bet Jim Joyce wishes baseball had instant replay for this call
Dennis

Myk Rian
Even as a die-hard, lifelong Tigers fan, I have to admire Joyce as well as Galarraga and Leyland for their attitudes in the aftermath:
Class acts. I liked Galarragas' smile after the call.
Go Tigers.

Gene Howe
Gotta agree! Both are class acts.

Dave Gaul
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Admitting you are wrong when you know you are is a very hard thing to do, very admirable.

Unfortunetly, bad calls are a part of baseball, always have been, and always will be! Just sucks when bad calls sway a game, or take away milestones!

Bruce Page
06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Joyce's blown call will hasten in the extended instant replay to MLB. It’s just a matter of time.
A lot of class was shown by everyone and we definitely need more of that in sports, (and society in general) but that still won’t change a bad call.

Dick Strauss
06-03-2010, 1:50 PM
Joyce is a class act for admitting he made a mistake!

The commish can and will overturn the call to give the kid his perfect game.

David Cramer
06-03-2010, 2:10 PM
I was there and although it's a "bummer", life goes on, it's baseball. The missed call will make Galarraga even more well-known, in my opinion anyways. Tiger fans are decent and I don't believe will give him a hard time today when Joyce is behind home plate, as he's scheduled to do. One heck of an accomplishment no matter how you look at it. I feel bad for Joyce, that's a lot of pressure on one person to make the right call and it was nothing but a mistake, but........in that case instant replay would have solved everything.

David

p.s. My daughter is 10 and said afterwards, "I feel bad for that pitcher, but I fell "really" bad for umpire 'cause we all make mistakes Dad". Truer words could not have been spoken.

Roy Wall
06-03-2010, 4:56 PM

I hope so........... it would be a pity not to.

Phyllis Meyer
06-03-2010, 5:51 PM
In this situation and in so many others in life! Those guys are all class acts for sure!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Kent A Bathurst
06-03-2010, 6:10 PM

There is no Easter Bunny, Dick. Sorry.

Mitchell Andrus
06-03-2010, 7:00 PM

I hope so.

Paul Ryan
06-03-2010, 8:40 PM
I cant stand Bug Selig for various reasons. And as usual I think he showed his lack of vision for the game. He should have over ruled the call in this unique case. It didn't effect the end of the game. And for that matter it would have been the last call of its kind, if replay is implemented as it should be very soon.
I have been told it is a little known fact that back in 1991 commisioner Fay Vincent and others on a committee overturned 50+ no hitters due to various reasons. So overturning this call would not have set a president. It is too bad, that kid deserves his name in the books for a real perfect game, not the imperfect perfect game.

But either way both parties are true class acts. To bad there arn't more Joyce officials in different sports like this guy. I feel terrible for him. But I respect that he did have the guts to call what he believed to be the right call at the time. Even if it did mean blowing a perfect game. Too many would have made a call dependent on the situation.

Greg Peterson
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
The man has integrity. To publicly admit your mistake, without condition or reservation, shows tremendous character.

Don Alexander
06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
last night i became a diehard Armando Galarraga fan !!!!!!!!

an absolute class act

what we saw last night and then again today is what sport is supposed to be all about and unfortunately we see very little of it

want a great example of class and sportsmanship to show your kids?
look no farther

Rick Prosser
06-04-2010, 9:32 AM
It is certainly nice to see sports figures in the news for acting with class. Seems to be rare these days. Mistake was made, but situation handled as close to perfect as I have seen.

Impressed!