PDA

View Full Version : Price increases

Mike Null
06-03-2010, 9:36 AM
Substantial price increases (as high as 8%) on plastics, particularly acrylics, have been announced. It might be worth your while to contact your suppliers and order in advance of the increases especially if you are a volume user.

Doug Griffith
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I've been in many meetings with big wigs from a top plastic producer and their cost has increased approximately 20% for raw materials over the last 6 months. Particularly ABS and styrenes. Particularly white. A large problem right now is the lack of post consumer/processor regrind in the system (bad economy + reduced plastic production?). This makes recycled/utility almost unobtanium. Because of this, large plastic processors(manufacturers) are hoarding their regrind and keeping it in their system. If they have to switch to virgin, their cost will rise and be passed down to consumers. Without virgin being brought into the system, there won't be as much regrind. There is also about a 20% loss during processing the regrind so it's inevitable that cost will continue to rise for everyone. When processors are confident enough to purchase large quantities (millions of pounds) from producers, the supply chain will balance out and prices should stabilize.

That's my understanding with a little opinion thrown in.

Dan Hintz
06-03-2010, 4:45 PM
Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with BP dumping a good bit of their raw material supply into the Gulf of Mexico... ;)

Mike Null
06-03-2010, 4:47 PM
One of my suppliers said that China is impacting the situation with unusually heavy purchases of certain ingredients.

Joe Pelonio
06-03-2010, 9:52 PM
One of my suppliers said that China is impacting the situation with unusually heavy purchases of certain ingredients.
The same thing that happened to lumber, then metals, as they started to ramp up their manufacturing and exports.

Doug Griffith
06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
The same thing that happened to lumber, then metals, as they started to ramp up their manufacturing and exports.

Concrete is another one.

Mitchell Andrus
06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
7/16 OSB last Oct/Nov at the Borg, $5.50+-. Now $9.50+- depending on the day of the week. An associate said it hit $12.00 briefly.