PDA

View Full Version : Latest Turnings

alex carey
06-02-2010, 9:55 PM
1. Travel Mug, I've made a few of them now, I think ive got them down now. When I first started I had a bit of trouble making them fit correctly.

2. My dad broke a wine glass the other night and when I found out I figured I'd give repairing it a shot. This is my first one and I think it turned out alright. Not much to it.

3. Olive platter, about 10" wide and its 1" at the edge. Picture doesn't show it but its concaved. If you hold it up to the light the center is see through.

4, 5 & 6.
Frank Van Atta posted an off center piece today and i'd always wanted to try something in that realm. Wasn't sure what the best way to connect it to the lathe was and he suggested a tape/hot glue method. It worked like a charm. Still scared the heck out of me though. This is also my first square turning and I had to break out the palm sander for the sides.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
That olive is beautiful Alex. Nice repair job on the wine glass, your father will probably break the rest so you can complete the set;). Frank's piece got to you rather quickly I see. Nice job and a great looking piece of wood.

David E Keller
06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Your seemingly endless supply of absolutely gorgeous olive is beginning to irritate me. Very nice work with that beautiful wood.

Aaron Wingert
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Your seemingly endless supply of absolutely gorgeous olive is beginning to irritate me.

x 2!!!

Great looking pieces. I'm particularly fond of what you were able to do with that wine glass stem.

charlie knighton
06-03-2010, 3:45 AM
tape/hot glue method seemed to work for you, you may in the future use a larger mdf board to attach it to and attach some weigh to counterbalance your turning, at least that is the way some of the demo's i have seen do it

Norm Zax
06-03-2010, 5:12 AM
Great work all over. Regarding the wine, Ive seen these and always wondered if the small wood-glass contact point would support a full (tilted) wine of glass, or is it just a decorative piece. Have you tried?

John Keeton
06-03-2010, 6:31 AM
Great work, Alex! At this rate, you will use up that load of olive quickly!! I particularly like the "candle block" - nice layout with the bark inclusion, and it has a certain solidness to it with the square shape. Nice!

The platter is sweet, too, and a better pic would help show it off some.

These guys sucked me into the photo tent thing, and taking better pics. We need to start working on you now!:D

John Hart
06-03-2010, 6:39 AM
Cool stuff Alex!! I'm feelin' the need to make a bunch-o-stuff...and yer inspiring me. :)

Frank Van Atta
06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Some really nice pieces, Alex. But be careful, doing those off-center pieces becomes addictive. :D

alex carey
06-03-2010, 2:04 PM
The supply is definitely getting smaller but even at this rate I've got quite a bit of time left.

Charlie, definitely need a bigger piece of wood next time, im actually going to work on a bigger backing today.

Norm, the stem goes nearly 2 inches into the wood and is epoxied in, parents have already used it and ive tilted it on its side, seemed to be pretty sturdy. I don't know how long it will last but so far so good.

John, I have stepped up my pictures a little bit recently but I still have a loooong ways to go.

Frank, your so right, once I make a bigger backer there is another piece I've seen done that i'd like to try.

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2010, 6:26 PM
Alex - nice work on everything! Your Dad must have been happy that you were able to save his wine glass!

Really like the platter because it shows off that beautiful wood!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!