PDA

View Full Version : "Tribulation"

Ken Vonk
06-02-2010, 7:16 PM
I call this hollow form Tribulation because this Pecan tree had been through at least one fire or lightening strike early in life and then after growing over the burnt bark with fresh wood it was eventually knocked down by a tornado last year. I helped cut this tree off a retired preachers house and got to bring as much as I wanted home. This piece is about 9" tall and 6" in diameter. The walls are about 3/16" thick and it is covered with several coats of gloss WOP. Your comments and critique are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

John Keeton
06-02-2010, 7:33 PM
Ken, it is amazing what beauty God and Mother Nature can leave us at times - even out of misfortune! Really a nice piece of wood, and a pretty piece.

Robert McGowen
06-02-2010, 7:36 PM
That is a nice piece, Ken. It looks like it has a nice continuous curve all the way from the top to the bottom with no flat spots. I also like the little lip at the top. I personally might have tightened up the curve so that the base was a bit smaller, but that is just me.
I think that overall, you have a winner. :)

Allen Neighbors
06-02-2010, 7:48 PM
Beautiful job, Ken... what's the filling? It's a real eye-catcher!!

John Hart
06-02-2010, 8:07 PM
I'm with Allen there...The piece is very nice...but I sure would like to replicate that color that you inserted.

Frank Van Atta
06-02-2010, 8:08 PM
Love the color at the bottom. Nice HF, too.

Thomas Canfield
06-02-2010, 8:23 PM
Nice looking. Did you find that the wood that had been hit by lightning turned differently? A friend gave me a Pecan crotch piece that had been hit by lightning and the wood near the exploded limb end was dry and the other section and part of the trunk were soaking wet. It had some exceptional pattern to it, but I was not able to do it justice. You did good with yours.

charlie knighton
06-02-2010, 8:41 PM
very nice.....

Ken Vonk
06-02-2010, 9:12 PM
The bottom of this hollow form is about 1" in diameter. My photo skills and equipment didn't do it justice. The red is the bright red inlace nugget from Craft Supplies USA. I'm not sure what it's made of. It is much easier to turn than stone. I didn't notice any big difference in moisture content. If I had to guess, I'd say this tree was struck by lightening about10 or 15 years ago and so may have equalized in moisture content since then.

Ken

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2010, 9:22 PM
Ken - very nice vase - and one with a history! Really like the wood - looks like it would grab the light and play with it!

Good looking form! The splash of color adds some warmth to the wood. Very nice work - thanks for sharing!

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Another fine piece!

David E Keller
06-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Another very nice looking piece. The colored areas really add something to the overall look. Nice finish.