PDA

View Full Version : craftsman molding head Model# 3217

Archer Yates
06-02-2010, 3:23 PM
I found an old Craftsman molding head with cutters installed and extras.
On the molding head it shows the direction of rotation. But the bevel of the cutters that were installed are on the same side facing the direction of rotation . So the rotation of the cutter is the bevel side into the wood.
Is this correct?
What are the hints you have for using this product?
Are there any special things to watch out for?

Britt Lifsey
06-02-2010, 3:37 PM
Not sure of model number but I bought one for my TS back in early 90's. I used it making kitchen cabinet doors. Is your's a 3 blade head? I remember thinking it was pretty scary first time or two I turned saw on. Sounded like a jet getting ready to take off :) I did make a few ZCI for it and let the cutters make opening in ZCI by slowly raising blade into it. If stock ever tipped into opening of normal insert and got interesting REAL fast.

Soon after I bought a router and haven't used it again.

Rod Sheridan
06-02-2010, 3:43 PM
Hi Archer, the bevels face opposite the direction of rotation, just like a jointer, planer or shaper knife.

I've used those heads in a table saw, a ZCI, and feather boards are required.

They cut extremely cleanly in solid wood, they cannot be used in plywood or MDF since they're high speed steel knives.

Regards, Rod.

Will Overton
06-02-2010, 3:53 PM
If you point to the picture on the Sears site to get a magnified view, you will see the proper orientation. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00903217000P?sid=comm_sears_productp g .

Rod is correct, but sometime a picture is good confirmation.

Lee Schierer
06-02-2010, 4:44 PM
You also will want to take small cuts, use feather boards and push sticks to keep your stock firmly located against the fence and table. Honing the flat side of the cutters insures a razor sharp edge and clean cuts.

Steve Bigelow
06-02-2010, 4:55 PM
I've used those heads in a table saw, a ZCI, and feather boards are required.

They cut extremely cleanly in solid wood, they cannot be used in plywood or MDF since they're high speed steel knives.

I just used mine this last weekend, and it worked out great. One pass full depth cuts.
http://picasaweb.google.com/BigE.alb/201005WindowsAndTrim#
(Yeah, I know - I still haven't finished the trim yet. Top and bottom need to go on).

Sssh, though. Please don't let my TS know it isn't supposed to be able to cut MDF with the cutter head. I used MDF, no featherboards, and it came out nice and smooth. I did sharpen the cutter head before and in the middle of the cuts - maybe that helped? 2-3 minutes lapping the back on a 1200 grit diamond stone.

I did use a ZCI on it.

Archer Yates
06-02-2010, 8:38 PM
Thanks for the information , that is what I thought.
You all have been a big help on the hints

Curt Harms
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
There was another vendor (OEM?) that sold a molding head like the Sears. They seemed to have a larger selection of cutters than Sears. I seem to have lost the book mark. Anyone know?

Never mind--Google to the rescue http://corobcutters.com/

Bill ThompsonNM
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Corob Cutters appears to be the oem for the craftsman heads-- st least they sell cutters which fit the heads sold by "that well known national department store". Which sounds to me like a description allowed by a legal document.

Easy to find by a search or appending .com to the company name.
(I have no affiliation with the company)