PDA

View Full Version : Green (or at least salvage) Pen Assembly Station

James Combs
06-02-2010, 3:18 PM
This maybe should be in the project forum but it deals with my pen turning so moderators if it belongs elsewhere please do your movin thing.:D

I got tired of having to moving my pen assembly materials off of my main work bench when I wanted to do flat work so I built myself a pen assembly station complete with parts storage and press. The press also freed up my drill press which I was using as pen press.

The bench is solid maple "butcher block" construction.

The material is salvaged cabinet face frame rail/style material complete with end-panel dados.

I ran the material through my planer to remove finishing and then glued it into a two 12" butcher block panels hiding the dado in the bottom. I then ran the panels through to plane off the edge finishing and to ensure an even thickness to the panels. Then I glued the two panels together creating a 1.70"x24"x42" panel. The individual strips of material after planning were 1.70" wide and ~0.70" thick. After trimming off about two inches from each end I ended up with a panel 1.70"x24"x38"

152238 152244
I planned some 3/4"x3.5" salvage filler strips and wrapped the panel in a ~3.5" skirt adding about an 1.25" to the overall size of the panel/plate-form and the skirt hid the one exposed EP dado. Salvage filler strips also were used as top and bottom end caps for the legs.

152241 152242
Salvaged refrigerator end-panel styles were used as legs with the dado hidden inside. That made for ugly tenons for the top and bottom cap mortise but they worked. The cross ties were double layered filler strips mortised into the legs and held with 5/16"x 5.5" lag bolts. All the exposed edges were routed and rounded over 1/4". I added casters for mobility and finished the whole thing with two coats of Watco Danish Natural oil finish.

The result is very sturdy compact mobile workstation with no one the wiser that it contains a lot of air (dados):D. Except you folks of course.

Michelle Rich
06-02-2010, 3:30 PM
woowee, now ain't that the fanciest pen station I've ever seen. It's furniture!!!

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 4:43 PM
Is that a granite bottom shelf? Geee! Very well done James.

James Combs
06-02-2010, 5:21 PM
Is that a granite bottom shelf? Geee! Very well done James.

I wish:D. Nah its just a scrap cabinet door being used as a temporary shelf. Just happened to be a real close fit.

Allen Neighbors
06-02-2010, 8:11 PM
Terrific, James! Good you had room for it!! Looks quite nice, and that's a wonderful cabinet on top of it, too!!

Don Alexander
06-02-2010, 8:14 PM
nice

is the press shop made? if not where did you find it?

John Hart
06-02-2010, 8:26 PM
Wow...that is cool!! One of these days...I'm going to get organized. :o

James Combs
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Terrific, James! Good you had room for it!! Looks quite nice, and that's a wonderful cabinet on top of it, too!!

The cabinet is from Grizzly. About $170 if I remember correctly

nice

is the press shop made? if not where did you find it?

Not shop made but modified slightly. It is a Palmgren 1 Ton with crank wheel available from Amazon at about $92. I bought it thinking I would use the wheel a lot but I could have save maybe $40 bucks without the wheel. Grizzly has a 1 ton at ~$60 or so that would work just as well.

I have customized the anvil with a UHMW plate and the ram has a UHMW insert. The modification is that I added 1/8"x1"x1-1/8" UHMW gib plates behind the gib jam screws as wear plates and as brakes. With out them the ram will wear against the jam screws and the ram drops on it's own. I have just enough pressure on the screws to hold the ram in any position but it is still easy to operate. I also replaced the socket head jam screws with hex head ones. The socket heads seem chincy and cheap.

You don't really need a ton of pressure for pins but it is available for other purposes and I don't think that lesser tonnage presses have the clearance under the ram for the length of some of the longer pens. I could be wrong there but that is my assumption based on the just enough clearance of this 1 Ton. If someone else wanted to do something similar go for a 1 ton (or greater) but forget the wheel.

The "L" shaped UHMW was my attempt at a vertical stabilizer for pressing the pens but it was too cumbersome to use so I just "carefully" free had them now. However, it comes in handy for one particular pen that is extra long and the large UHMW anvil doesn't allow enough clearance for it. I forget which one it is so you definitely need all the clearance you can get.

Don Alexander
06-03-2010, 12:42 AM
interesting ...:) thanks:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Cool James. I was organized once.:eek::rolleyes:

John Hart
06-03-2010, 6:43 AM
Cool James. I was organized once.:eek::rolleyes:

Me too Bernie....but I can't remember what it looked like. I seem to remember being able to find a drill bit right where I left it.....once. But that's all I remember. :rolleyes:

Chris Stolicky
06-03-2010, 1:48 PM
"...with end-panel dados."

What's a dado? :confused: (kidding)

Good job. I usually let things pile up for a while before I get to a point where I will stop all projects until I find a way to get organized. That usually ends up meaning that I have to sacrifice lathe time in order to build something else. But I find its a necessary task.

James Combs
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
"...with end-panel dados."

What's a dado? :confused: (kidding)

Good job. I usually let things pile up for a while before I get to a point where I will stop all projects until I find a way to get organized. That usually ends up meaning that I have to sacrifice lathe time in order to build something else. But I find its a necessary task.

Chris you had me wondering there. I had to got to my thesaurus to make sure I was spelling it right. Dado = rectangular slot or grove in a board:D