PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Burl with Maple Burl Finial

Ken Vonk
06-02-2010, 1:17 PM
Here is a natural edged hollow form I finished this last weekend. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Tim Rinehart
06-02-2010, 1:27 PM
I like the piece, and am no expert in finial design, but would think the finial could be a little lighter and smaller, and would draw attention lower to the piece and beauty of the walnut burl, which is quite unusual to come across.

That being said...it's a nice finial design, but worthy of a larger piece. I wish my finials looked that good!

Jon Lanier
06-02-2010, 1:33 PM
I agree with Tim. It looks like you have a finial on top of a finial. Take the top finial off... and you have a piece of art worthy of museum showing.

John Keeton
06-02-2010, 1:53 PM
Ken, I agree with the comments on the finial, but I am impressed with the piece. I do have some questions -

Is the form hollowed?
Is that a maple burl inset collar?
What is the black base to the finial?

Sorry for the inquisition, but you did some neat stuff here, and I am curious!! And, getting that kind of detail on a maple burl finial takes a steady hand and sharp tools!!

James Combs
06-02-2010, 2:17 PM
Ken, I also have a question. Did you have to support the free end of the top section of the finial while turning the bottom section? If so then how was it supported?

BTW it is a beautiful piece. Perhaps an entry in the art contest??

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2010, 2:30 PM
Ken - great looking hollow form! Love the Walnut burl!

Hard to tell from the photo - but does the piece have a Maple foot?

Agree with the others on the finial - shorter may work better.

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2010, 2:50 PM
That's cool looking. The bowl part makes me think of an eggshell... very delicate and fragile. But I have to agree with the critiques of the finial. So far I have not become "obsessed" with finials but they do add a lot to some forms if done with a bit of restraint. In this case, (if it were me) I would take off the entire top section of the finial and let it terminate at the small flair under the top "bulb".

alex carey
06-02-2010, 3:17 PM
looks like everybody pretty much agrees, its pretty much perfect, finial just needs a bit of shaping.

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 3:42 PM
That walnut burl is really nice along with the finish. Along with the others, terminating the finial just below the center bulb would pull your eye closer to that beautiful burl. Fantastic work!

Frank Van Atta
06-02-2010, 5:35 PM
Very intriguing and interesting piece. I have to agree with the others about the finial being too long . . . but it would make a great "icicle" for a tree ornament.

Ken Vonk
06-02-2010, 5:59 PM
Steve, Yes there is a maple foot. I don't normally like to put a foot on hollow forms but thought it would balance the inset maple burl and the finial.
John, The form is hollowed. I recessed a maple burl circle into the walnut and then drilled a 1 1/8" hole through to the depth I wanted. Then I hollowed with my hand held Hunter and Sorby hollowing tools. The wall thickness is close about 1/4". The base of the finial / lid is claro walnut attached to the finial above. I turned the lid / finial as one piece.
James, I started by gluing the walnut base to the maple burl. Then I turned a tenon for my chuck between centers. Next I transfered to the chuck and kept the live center on the top end. I started to shape from the tip all the way down to the "bowl" under the top "onion". Then I went back and cut the "bowl" at the top.
I don't think you can see the diamond earing in the "bowl" at the very top of the finial, in the photo.

Ken

David E Keller
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Love the main form... Really, really pretty wood. I'm not crazy about the finial, but I can't add to what's already been said. All in all, it's a nice looking piece.

John Hart
06-03-2010, 6:09 AM
I really like it a lot. I love how the collar brings accent to the colors of the entire piece.

I can't make a decent finial to save my life...so I'll reserve comment. :o

Ken Vonk
06-03-2010, 1:41 PM
Several people have asked where I got the wood for this piece. I hope I'm not breaking an advertising rule or something. I am not affiliated with this company except that they have some of my money...lol I bought the walnut from Newton Woods.

Ken

John Hart
06-03-2010, 1:54 PM
Hmmm.... That's odd. I just assumed that it came from a tree. :confused:

Technology these days is just amazing!!! :)

Ok..ok....shuttin' up now. :o

Richard Vonk
06-04-2010, 9:06 AM
KEN'S MOM thinks the finial with this bowl makes an artistic and elegant statement...................... Watch your backs (:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2010, 9:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up Richard. I shall reserve my comments then.:eek::D;)

Great looking piece Ken. I agree with a smaller finial.