PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying my natural oilstones?

James Taglienti
06-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I have an array of natural oilstones that i've accumulated through the years. Having lapped them a few times I'm positive thry're natural, the only question is what are they? I think they're all domestic considering the source (barns in rural IL). I only know them by their grits- the dark grey ones are fine, the translucent one is super fine, and the yellow-white and brown ones are medium and coarse, respectively. The bluish one with the dark vein in it is especially puzzling. It is very fine. It might actually be a waterstone, i'm not sure.

They could all be arkansas types.

Also, there is a coticule waterstone there. Has anyone ever used coticule to sharpen their tools? I have an all oil setup and I'm wondering if it will just be a hassle to incorporate it. I know I can sell it for 50-75 bucks, but it's so attractive, it looks edible. If it is an incredible performer, I'll keep it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Chris Vandiver
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Those are some very nice looking stones!

Christian Castillo
06-02-2010, 1:31 PM
I can't see how much of a hassle a coticule can be, just give it a spray of water and its ready. If you don't use it for tools, you could always start building a straight razor set up :).

Jim Koepke
06-02-2010, 2:11 PM
I can't see how much of a hassle a coticule can be, just give it a spray of water and its ready. If you don't use it for tools, you could always start building a straight razor set up :).

Or keep it in the kitchen for the knives.

That is where my diamond hone rests.

My wife doesn't like me using water stones on the kitchen knives because she doesn't like them that sharp.

Some folks just do not understand the concept.

jim

john brenton
06-02-2010, 3:14 PM
are expensive as hell but from what I hear if used properly can be your 1000, 4000 and 8000 all in one depending on the slurry.

john brenton
06-02-2010, 3:21 PM
Jim, your posts are the best. I've got a set of Wustoffs that I can't STAND to see dull and keep them shave sharp. They're a pleasure to use. I keep telling my wife that dull knives are what cut you, and she says "tell that to my finger." Women...

Or keep it in the kitchen for the knives.

That is where my diamond hone rests.

My wife doesn't like me using water stones on the kitchen knives because she doesn't like them that sharp.

Some folks just do not understand the concept.

jim

James Taglienti
06-02-2010, 5:46 PM
I've been getting more curious about the straight razor scene.

As far as the coticule being a hassle- i won't be able to keep it anywhere the oilstones, since that whole green countertop in the photo is basically a natural disaster. That means it'll need it's own home, i suppose i could make a box for it. Maybe I could put it on the bench and use it for touch ups and finishing.
Guess it's not really a big deal.

Anyone know what that odd blue one with the vein is?

george wilson
06-02-2010, 6:41 PM
The stone on the right hand picture is a Belgian honing stone. It is naturally mined so that the 2 layers are left in the stone. The cream colored side is the coarse,the purple is fine. Razor stones were sometimes made from Belgian stone. I suspect yours may be a razor stone.

I have an old,never used one. I never use it,because the stone has a nice decal on it extolling its virtues.

The one on the far left in the first picture is a Washita,I believe. You also have a white Arkansas. Others are too dirty to see. Might be a few black Arkansas there.

Kevin Adams
06-02-2010, 8:07 PM
James, I am a sucker for good, natural oil stones myself. That translucent looks like a beauty! I am lucky to have a real nice one, too, and it is my favorite stone, along with the lily white washita I got from Joel for the short time that Norton had brought them back.

Kevin

Christian Castillo
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
+1 vote for straight razors if not used for tools, I think it is safe to say that most of us here are against wastefulness and the throw away consumerist culture. A straight razor is the perfect way to remove a very wasteful element from our lives.

James Taglienti
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I used that natural belgian hone earlier. I rubbed the two stones together and made a slurry, it worked well, and cut fast. Nothing really mindblowing though. It doesn't have any advantage on an artificial waterstone, though it probably won't dish as quickly. It's nice to use such a fancy stone though.

Then I rubbed my other oilstones together and made a slurry with them, and it cut just as fast. I didn't know I could do that. It also seemed to draw the steel particles to the surface of the dirtier ones, and I could just wipe them right off. I think I might start doing that regularly, at least in the lower grits.

george wilson
06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I always kept(still keep) a straight razor in the shop during my harpsichord making days. I needed a way to cut felt(broadcloth) dampers with no fuzz.

When we made our musical instrument maker movie,one of the "cast" (who was only turning the great wheel for the wood lathe) came to work unshaven. the director insisted upon him looking the same way he had the day before. I took him upstairs and gave him a clean shave with the razor. Didn't nick him,either. he must have had a good deal of faith in me,not being a barber. Actually,I had never shaved even myself with a straight razor before!.

john brenton
06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I got a straight razor shave overseas a few years ago and I never went back to the old Mach III.

There are plenty of good deals on ebay, and you may find some good users in antique stores. Using them has honed my understanding and expectations of sharpening. It doesn't get much sharper than a straight razor.

Just keep watching ebay, looking for either Sheffield or Solingen razors and bid cheap. You'd be surprised that with so many people looking for straight razors there are plenty mint condition antiques that get overlooked. Collectors are looking for brands. I've got three (solingen, sheffield, ohio) that I paid about $15-25 each for that are in flawless mint condition. If you get them and they need a little work you've got everything you need to get them going. Learning how to put a shaving edge on a dull razor is a great teacher.

While you're looking and watching for razors take time to bone up on care and proper sharpening. In a nutshell, wrap a piece of electrical tape lengthwise on the spline, keep the spline on the stone at all times, never use too much pressure and sharpening both sides equally is more than crucial. Buy a nice linen and leather strop and strop till you pass the hanging hair test. Respect the edge, don't shave in the shower (dropping it could cost you a wang) get some fancy soap and a nice brush and you will never buy one of those gimmicky disposable razors again.

I've been getting more curious about the straight razor scene.

As far as the coticule being a hassle- i won't be able to keep it anywhere the oilstones, since that whole green countertop in the photo is basically a natural disaster. That means it'll need it's own home, i suppose i could make a box for it. Maybe I could put it on the bench and use it for touch ups and finishing.
Guess it's not really a big deal.

Anyone know what that odd blue one with the vein is?

David Keller NC
06-03-2010, 1:13 PM
James - Can't help with all of them, but it does look like you've either a translucent Arkansas or a so-called "turkey stone" (because they come from Turkey) in the whitish stone in the box.

Likely it's an Arkansas. Turkey stones were primarily mined out in the 18th century, and I would not think you've a stone that old, principally because it's cut in a rectangle. The 18th century stones tended to be irregular.

If it is a translucent arkansas, you've a real find. When/if they're available now, they're incredibly expensive in the grade that you have (i.e., solid color, no inclusions). Generally in the $200+ range, depending on size.

David Weaver
06-03-2010, 1:20 PM
I always kept(still keep) a straight razor in the shop during my harpsichord making days. I needed a way to cut felt(broadcloth) dampers with no fuzz.

When we made our musical instrument maker movie,one of the "cast" (who was only turning the great wheel for the wood lathe) came to work unshaven. the director insisted upon him looking the same way he had the day before. I took him upstairs and gave him a clean shave with the razor. Didn't nick him,either. he must have had a good deal of faith in me,not being a barber. Actually,I had never shaved even myself with a straight razor before!.

From experience, I'd bet being shaved by someone else the first time would lead to fewer nicks than shaving yourself the first time.

I haven't found the perfect razor stone, but us a straight razor only once every week or two, and I have a bunch of natural japanese stones that I haven't tried yet as I've only had to rehone a couple of times. The first couple of times I shaved, I made several nicks just from thinking I had the razor clear of my face when I didn't. No gushers, but certainly the kind of stuff I don't do with it now.

I can see why people went to disposable razors. I can shave in the shower with no mirror with a disposable razor in less than a minute. It probably takes me 10 minutes to do a good shave with a straight razor. That turns into real time when you have other stuff you have to do.

Joe Rogers
06-03-2010, 3:23 PM
James, I can't tell for sure but the two left darker stones look like Carborundum or silicon carbide stones. They may not be natural stones, but?? The whitest stone is a translucent Arkansas. Nice. The rusty one on the right is probably a Washita or a soft Arkansas. The "blue Stripe" (should be a brand name :) ) could well be a surgical black hard Arkansas. Is it nearly as fine as the translucent?
Good hunting there!
Joe

James Taglienti
06-03-2010, 4:40 PM
The white one certainly is translucent. Dunno where it's from. The one with the stripe is "slatey" IE there's a chip on the bottom and it is layered like slate. The two darker ones im certain are natural... when I take them to sandpaper they turn into white dust and smell like a quarry. If they were carborundum, they'd strip the paper, right?

and the stripey one is almost as fine as the translucent, yea

george wilson
06-03-2010, 5:18 PM
The blue stripe is a natural Belgian stone. Someone isn't reading all the posts. The striped stone is layered because it is a natural sedimentary stone.

James Taglienti
06-03-2010, 6:20 PM
George, there are two "striped" stones--- the yellow/purplish is a natural coticule, yes, but the blue/gray slate type stone has a black stripe is the one puzzling me.

David Keller NC
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
James - Here's a link to a company selling the Belgian stones. On the page, they describe the two-toned coticule stones, but also the blue-gray Belgain stones presumably mined from one of the strata that contains the two-toned ones. Perhaps the one with the black diagonal stripe is just on of the homogenous blue stones. I rather doubt it's an Arkansas - at least I've never seen one that has that color.

http://www.theperfectedge.com/belgian.shtml

James Taglienti
06-06-2010, 4:20 PM
thank you david