PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm stumped: woodcraft lid supports

John Pratt
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I need some help from those of you in the know. This is my first time using the Woodcraft lid supports and I am having some issues in the mounting process. I followed the instructions (attached) to the letter for measurements but when I close the lid, the bracket closes and the back side of the bracket where it attaches to the lid contacts the lid itself before the lid is fully closed. My hinge placement is slightly different than the instructions in that my piano hinge is mortised (see pic). If I move the top of the lid support up the lid, it allows the lid to fully close, but the lid stops short of opening 90 degrees by about 20 degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully it is a simple fix that I am just not seeing.

Joe Chritz
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Drop the lower mount by the depth of your mortise?

It also looks like the lid doesn't open to a full 90 degrees in the schematic but that could be just the way it is drawn.

Joe

John Pratt
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I will give that a try (dropping the lower part of the lid support). The pic in the schematic doesn't show 90 degrees but the written instructions say to set it at 90 before setting the top screws. I don't know... I certainly don't want to keep drilling holes to it gets right. Especially after I spent so much time getting the lacquer finish where I wanted it.

Ralph Okonieski
06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I experienced a similar issue with a set due to slightly different circumstances however. I made a mockup of the lid and back panel with just a few scrap pieces and did trial and error until it worked properly.

Roger Secrist
06-02-2010, 5:00 PM
John, take a look at this link and you will find the lid will not go to a full 90 degees. This link is from the manufacturer of the lid support.
http://www.carlsoncapitol.net/images/700series.pdf
The support you have is from the 700 series supports. and with the lid raised after the installation, it will not quite be 90 degrees.
I installed these on a tack box I made and they are tricky to get the right adjustment.
I hope this helps.

John Pratt
06-02-2010, 5:07 PM
That got it. Silly me, reading the instructions where it says to open 90 degrees before attaching. Normally the first thing I do is throw away the instructions. The one time I actually decide to read them it screws me up. I should have paid closer attention to the picture and not the contradictory printed words. I appreciate all the help guys.