PDA

View Full Version : "Bleeding" Sycamore

Shawn Siegrist
06-02-2010, 9:40 AM
I have a Sycamore tree that is bleeding sap from a limb, there is no obvious wound and this has been going on for 2 years now and it appears to be getting worse. The area is black and constantly wet, the wood doesn't appear to be rotten. Any idea what is causing it and what I should do about it?

Thanks,
Shawn

Ray Bell
06-02-2010, 9:58 AM
I have a Sycamore tree that is bleeding sap from a limb, there is no obvious wound and this has been going on for 2 years now and it appears to be getting worse. The area is black and constantly wet, the wood doesn't appear to be rotten. Any idea what is causing it and what I should do about it?

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn, I had this same problem with a Sycamore tree once. You couldn't park under that tree without have to wash the car each time. It was aphids causing this. I had a tree service come out and apply a systemic treatment, problem solved.

Shawn Siegrist
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I will look closely tonight to see if I can find any aphids in the area, thanks for the tip.

John Shuk
06-02-2010, 4:15 PM
Also look farther up the tree to see if there is an ingress point for water. If water is getting into the tree somewhere this could be the spot where it is able to get out.

Mike Cruz
06-03-2010, 5:51 AM
My guess is that the water is coming in from the roots...;)

John Shuk
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of an opening from an old limb or a crotch that is upward facing.

Al Wasser
06-04-2010, 3:33 PM
Sounds a little like slime flux for which there is no cure if I recall correctly. If you are located where there is a County Agents office give them a call and describe the problem. If you don't have a County agent then you are at the mercy of library research or a good tree person. I'd give the library a once over first.