PDA

View Full Version : Making Memories

michael gallagher
06-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I haven't turned much lately, but my 8 year old wanted to make some pens as thank you gifts for his Sunday School teachers, so off to the shop we went. You experts out there may look at these and say they are just streamlines, but to me they are priceless: if my son is like me (and every Dad hopes their sons are, but only the good parts), he'll remember the time in the shop with Dad forever - I know I do from when I was little, and I suspect the same holds true for a lot of you.

He was very proud of them as he roughed up and glued in the tubes, and we both turned and polished them up with my hands as a guide. I'm pretty proud of him, too, if you couldn't tell.

The yellow one is yellow heart he picked out from the stash, the purple one is a stabilized dyed box elder burl, and the solo picture is an aluminite homemade mixture I got from a friend.

Thanks for looking (and reading my rambling post)

Michael
Proud Dad

Don Alexander
06-02-2010, 12:10 AM
AWESOME

might be the most valuable pens you will ever turn certainly some of the most memorable

there is no substitute for spending time with your son

Ken Fitzgerald
06-02-2010, 2:14 AM
Michael,

Tell your son he takes after his Dad and did a great job!

I enjoy it when I get to Pearland to spend a little time with my youngest son.....and his new twin daughters!:D

John Keeton
06-02-2010, 6:44 AM
Michael, nice work on the pens, but no match for the treasured memories you left with your son!! Shop time with kids is special - something I never had with my kids growing up. Wish I could redo those days.....

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 7:22 AM
Now, that is priceless:) Great job on the pens and an even greater job building memories.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2010, 8:39 AM
Excellent post Michael! Be sure to let your son know that we all think he did a great job on his pens! His teachers will love them!

Agree with everyone else - nothing better than spending time with family and doing something together that creates good memories!

Let your son know that we look forward to seeing more of his work!

Belinda Barfield
06-02-2010, 8:44 AM
I think this qualifies as a major gloat! Congatulate your son for me on some beautiful pens.

Robert McGowen
06-02-2010, 8:53 AM
Very nice pens and a great story to go with them.

bob svoboda
06-02-2010, 8:54 AM
Terrific story Michael. Your son did a bang up job on the pens and you certainly have a handle on what's important. Reminds me of teaching my daughters to use a chain saw (and their Mom's reaction). These are the times you will both remember forever.

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Michael tell your son he did well on some really nice pens. The time with him is a major gloat and priceless. I remember the shop time building cabinets, jewelry boxes, etc with my son in the shop and now have a wonderful time when I get to spend time my grandson when he visits. I to remember my time with my granddad and dad.

Thomas Canfield
06-02-2010, 9:01 PM
They are great looking pens, and I can only imagine the smile on your sons face. I expect there will be a smile on the teachers face when they are delivered. Keep encouraging him.

Tony De Masi
06-02-2010, 9:42 PM
Michael, some really nice pens but a superb memory.

Very well done to you and your son.

Tony

David E Keller
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Congrats on the quality time... Nice work by your son.