PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater

Jack Burgess
06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I have a gas water heater on the side of the garage that I am building a wall workshop for minor woodworking. What concerns should there be, if any about the water heater?

Dave MacArthur
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Main issue I've heard mentioned is if you run a dust collector and exhaust outside. This creates a vacuum inside the garage which will pull the water heater exhaust gases (carbon monoxide) back into the shop. So, with a gas water heater you need to filter your DC and exhaust it back into the shop if you work with doors closed.

Other than that, I've not heard any issues. The flame area is fully enclosed. I wouldn't be leaning boards against it or spewing sawdust towards it though.

Lee Schierer
06-02-2010, 8:03 AM
Since it is a gas hot water heater, you need to take precautions against using any solvents around an open flame. Even though the flame is inside the hot water heater it is still considered open. I wouldn't recommend doing any finishing with any solvent based finish.

Zach England
06-02-2010, 8:20 AM
Since it is a gas hot water heater, you need to take precautions against using any solvents around an open flame. Even though the flame is inside the hot water heater it is still considered open. I wouldn't recommend doing any finishing with any solvent based finish.

I can tell you from experience this is important. I once accidentally let some acetone spill on my basement floor and run towards the water heater. Yes, it ignited.