PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of Canada

Jeff Nicol
06-01-2010, 8:42 PM
Missed last years trip on the houseboat trip to Sioux Narrows Ontario, Canada last year, but I made the long weekend this year! This was my 11th trip up and it was great fun as always. I did not take as many pictures as most years, because they all start to look the same! But here are a couple of the good ones. Me with a stringer full of nice walleye and a couple of my friends with the biggest fish of the weekend, and one about 24" long. The sunsets are alway gorgeous and this year did not dissapoint. There were 4 of us that came back early, 7 others are staying the rest of the week.

A great get away,

Jeff

Matt Ranum
06-01-2010, 9:49 PM
Looks like a great time! Love that sunset pic too! Its my desktop background now.;)

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2010, 8:35 AM
Jeff - sure looks like you had a good time! Nice looking Walleye!

Charlie Reals
06-02-2010, 8:52 AM
ahhhhhhh Walleye, the lobster of the fish world. I truly miss walleye fishing and it is my favorite to eat. Nice pics and fish Jeff.
Charlie

Ray Bell
06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Very nice Jeff, glad you could find the time from your busy schedule to do this. Do you rent the houseboat at the lake, and pull a fishing boat up? Do you fish for Walleye there with bottom walker/night crawler harness, like we mostly use here on the Columbia?

John Keeton
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Not bad for a crippled up ol' woodturner!!! Looks like you really had a great time, and, like Charlie, it is my all time favorite fish!! Salmon would be a real close second.

Jeff, one thing about you - you take life on face first! Love it!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Jeff,

I checked Google Map and it looks like you were fishing just a little over 100 miles NNW from where my FIL and friends go.

Gorgeous country.....wonderful wildlife. It wasn't unusual to see black bear, eagles, beaver. Gorgeous country and water that is unbeatable.

Nice catch BTW.

Like John.....walleye is my favorite fish for eating.

Kent A Bathurst
06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
....... Me with a stringer full of nice walleye....... and one about 24" long........

Jeff - to coin a phrase:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147964&thumb=1&d=1271047610 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147964&d=1271047610)

Quinn McCarthy
06-02-2010, 1:12 PM
Did you cross at I Falls?

Looks like a fun trip.

QUinn

Mike Cruz
06-03-2010, 6:05 AM
Jeff, I too, go to Canada for a fishing trip with my brothers and my dad when he was still with us. We've been going for almost 20 years. Some of my best memories of my dad are on trips up there. And, I too, missed last year, but have plans to get up there in July. While there are plenty of walleye in adjacent lakes, the lake we fish is more prone to yield large and small mouth bass, and northern pike. I can't wait to get there! Thanks for the post and the pics.

Jeff Nicol
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
We cross at I-Falls and go up to Sioux Narrows and rent the house boat from Floating lodges. They have boats from 40' up to 58' and one is a double decker with a water slide and goodies for the kids. We get a 54' boat that sleeps 12 and has 2 bathrooms and a shower in one. Full kitchen with dishwasher and microwave. There is a small flat screen TV with DVD and VHS players, not really roughing it to much! We have a friend who has a cabin on an island right out of Siux Narrows and sometimes we take a fall trip and stay there. Much cheaper trip that way. When I had my fishing boat I hauled it up, but it got to expensive to have so I had to sell it, so now one guy brings up an 18' alumacraft with a 115hp on it and we get 2 small boats with the house boat. Other years we have more boats that we bring along, but 2 of the regulars could not make it this year due to new jobs and no vacation yet, darn economy!

So until next year I will have to stay home and work! All I have now is a canoe and it really makes my shoulders hurt just thinking about paddling it around!

Thanks for the comments all!

Jeff

Mike Cruz
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey, Jeff, while the Canada trip we take actually pretty far east from where you go, I thought I post a couple of pics from our trips...just to hit that "spot" in your heart.

Both of these shots are of my brother and a buddy of mine. There is no photo enhancement.

I have KICKED myself a million times over because the last time I had used the camera before these pics, I had let the battery die on my camera. So, when I recharged it, the resolution went back to the default which was the lowest res. I didn't realize that at the time. I CERTAINLY realized it when I saw the low quality res of the pix...