PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 – Frank Van Atta

Frank Van Atta
06-01-2010, 7:42 PM
The first piece is strictly utilitarian - a ring and jewelry holder made from Imbuia (aka Brazilian Walnut) and Ebony by request from SWMBO. It is 5 3/8" in diameter and 4 3/4" tall, finished with 2 coats of shellac and then buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnuba Wax. Utilitarian or not, the Imbuia has a beauty all it's own and shows a startling amount of chatoyance (the pictures are taken from the same place with the same light - the only difference between the two is that the piece was rotated through 90°). This piece was made from a 2" slab of Imbuia, so the "finger" had to be turned from that piece and then glued to the central pedestal; the Ebony collar masks the joint and grain mismatch.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/CompositeWeb.jpg

The second piece is totally "Art." What else could it be? It has no utility value. In any case, "Art" pieces need names, so this one is called "Eye of the
Dragon" - if the name and the piece don't match up for you, then you are the "tomahto" to my "tomato." "Dragon" was turned from Australian Mallee Burl on four different centers, and measures 3" high by 5" long and is 3/4" thick. Finished with 3 coats of shellac.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/DragonWeb.jpg

David E Keller
06-01-2010, 8:08 PM
Nicely done on both pieces. I agree with your assessment of imbuia... It has a wonderful luster and chatoyance. I really like the smooth simple curve on your utility piece although I must admit that it has an artistic flair.

I'm really excited about your "art" piece. I have several small Aussie burl caps that I've been wondering what to do with... Now I know. I must admit that it could be used as a change dish with separate locations for quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Any chance we could see the back side of that art piece?

Roland Martin
06-01-2010, 8:11 PM
Very nice utilitarian piece. The ebony really adds a great deal to this, and the Imbuia is very nice.
The Eye of the Dragon is a well suited name for this Art piece. The Mallee burl is a fantastic looking wood. I'm very impressed with the four centers being so perfectly tied in to each other. I really like this work of art.
Thanks for taking part:)

Toney Robertson
06-01-2010, 8:17 PM
You certainly took an unusual route with the "eye" piece and I think it works. A great utilization of an unique piece of wood.

What kind of Mallee is it? It looks too dark to be red mallee.

Toney

John Keeton
06-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Frank, very nice entries!! The ring and jewelry holder really makes an interesting piece - the contrast of the ebony and imbuia, the smooth, flowing curve of the central shaft, and the nice fair curve of the dish blend together very well.

The Eye of the Dragon is a very well balanced piece. From the pic, it appears that center area of the four turned areas are convex, but it is difficult to tell - at least for me. Larger pics would help. I imagine the mallee is gorgeous with the light just right on it!

Thanks for being a part of the Challenge!!

charlie knighton
06-01-2010, 8:56 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Paul Douglass
06-01-2010, 9:45 PM
That is a very pretty and unique piece. Bet it was exciting to turn with all that wood flying by.

Curt Fuller
06-01-2010, 9:57 PM
Two more great examples of art and utility. This was a great idea to have a challenge that focused on the difference.

The ring holder is something so simple and useful and yet made into something beautiful by some nice wood separated simply with a dark band of ebony.

The "Dragon" is something else too. The Mallee Burl could be a work of art by itself just by sanding and polishing the surface. But the four dishes bring out even more of the surface beauty of the wood and add interest to it by following the shape of the burl. I like the variation in the size of the dished too.

Frank Van Atta
06-01-2010, 10:02 PM
David - thank you for your comments. I'll post a picture of the back side tomorrow.

Toney - it is Red Mallee. I had to flood it with shellac and a little CA to keep it together, which probably darkened it some.

John - all of the turned areas are concave. I'll post an angled picture tomorrow when I do the back side.

Paul - you're exactly right, there was a lot of wood flying around - especially when turning the "head."

Roland and Charlie, thank you for taking time to comment.

James Combs
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Nicely done on both pieces. I agree with your assessment of imbuia... It has a wonderful luster and chatoyance. I really like the smooth simple curve on your utility piece although I must admit that it has an artistic flair.

I'm really excited about your "art" piece. I have several small Aussie burl caps that I've been wondering what to do with... Now I know. I must admit that it could be used as a change dish with separate locations for quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Any chance we could see the back side of that art piece?

The "eye" looks convex to me I thing the coins would have a problem staying around.
Looks like a great couple of entries. Watch out John K.

Frank Van Atta
06-01-2010, 10:07 PM
. . . This was a great idea to have a challenge that focused on the difference.

The "Dragon" is something else too. The Mallee Burl could be a work of art by itself just by sanding a polishing the surface. . .

I agree this challenge is a great idea; the more "out of the normal workaday" these challenges are, the more challenging they are. (And more fun, too, methinks.)

I actually have a number of small burls sitting around where I have done nothing but flatten and polish the surface. The original purpose was to get a better idea of what to expect when cutting into them, but several of them have been sitting around on my desk for several years now - because I can't think of anything to do that would improve the simple beauty of the grain.

Frank Van Atta
06-01-2010, 10:12 PM
The "eye" looks convex to me I thing the coins would have a problem staying around.

Both you and John see convex; I think these pieces with the multiple "bowls" are prone to creating optical illusions. I have seen some by other turners that elicited the same kinds of comments.

Allen Neighbors
06-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Frank, they're both gorgeous!! You've got a truly good "Eye", and a mind for "Dragon" art. Plus, you've blessed your significant other with something she wanted! Well done!!

alex carey
06-02-2010, 3:10 AM
frank, thats a great artistic piece, it has art written all over it.

You mind posting a howto for something like this. I think I know but before I try it I'd like to hammer out the details.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2010, 8:54 AM
Very nice entries Frank!

Really like the woods used and the clean design of your ring holder. It's functional - yet stylish at the same time.

Eye of the Dragon is an interesting piece! I like the series of shallow bowls and by not being aligned cause you to look at one - then the next, etc. In effect - the bowls keep you eyes moving and you take in all of the beauty the wood has to offer. Very nice work - great effect!

Thanks for sharing!

Frank Van Atta
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
As promised, here's a picture of the back of the "Dragon." As you can see, it started life as a burl cutoff slab.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/DragonBackWeb.jpg

Also as promised, here's a slanted picture of the front, showing that all the bowls are indeed concave.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/DragonSlantWeb.jpg

Alex: here's how the "Dragon" was made:

1. I started by flattening, sanding and polishing the "face" so I could see what I was working with.

2. Using a circle template, I drew circles in different sizes and positions (in pencil) until I found an arrangement I considered pleasing. To be honest, this took several days. I would draw an arrangement, then set it on the shelf and consider it and think about it. Then I would do some erasing and re-drawing and put it back on the shelf. Repeated until I was happy with the result. I then marked the centers of the circles I wanted to keep and made a small indentation at each one with a center punch so I could position the blank using the tailstock.

3. Turning time. I started with the small, bottom-center position, because this is where the blank is most in balance. I attached this to a sacrificial block with double-sided turner's tape and turned the "bowl" using a spindle gouge and scraper. Sanded to 600 before removing from the lathe.

4. Removed the blank and reattached with fresh tape to do the "front" bowl. This went pretty much the same, except that it was far enough off center to worry me about whether or not it would stay attached to the sacrificial block. It did, but not without significant impact on my blood pressure.

5. The "bowl" at the tail presented a problem; not only is it way off center, but there is no "flat" immediately behind it to attach to the sacrificial block (see back view). So I had to do two things: Use a large enough waste block that I could attach all of the available flat surface outboard of the center point of the blank; and I converted to the Blue Tape and Hot Glue method of attaching the blank. (See David Reed Smith's excellent article here: BlueBowlReversing (http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/BlueBowlReversing/blue_bowl_reversing.htm) ) I hear some of you laughing. Well, don't laugh too hard until you try this method. I've been using turner's tape for more than a decade (I've lost my share of blanks this way) and the Blue Tape/Hot Glue method holds much better. Try it, you might like it.

Anyway, after using the new attachment I was able to turn the bowl in the tail with losing the blank or raising my BP above 1000.

6. The last part to turn was the "head." Done pretty much like the "tail," exept for the good news - more holding surface directly beneath the area to be turned - and the bad news - turning more "air" because there wasn't room for a complete circle.

And there you have it - the saga of the Dragon.

Allen, Steve, thank you for taking the time to comment.

alex carey
06-02-2010, 3:27 PM
Frank the explanation was much appreciated, I think I'll go give something in that realm a try. I'd never heard of the tape-glue reverse method, sounds very intriguing and promising.

John Keeton
06-02-2010, 3:41 PM
By golly, they are concave!!!:D

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2010, 4:38 PM
I think you should get an award for having the biggest cajones. Turning a chunk of wood like that so far off center and secured only with tape? WINNER!

Frank Van Atta
06-02-2010, 5:32 PM
I think you should get an award for having the biggest cajones. Turning a chunk of wood like that so far off center and secured only with tape? WINNER!

This little piece is only 3" x 5." The uncontested winner in the cajones department has to be Terry Scott. Here's his setup for making one of his "Waves" pieces.

Methinks I wouldn't turn that on a bet.

BTW - it was one of Terry's pieces that gave me the idea for the "Dragon."

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq191/timberly2458/wcwwww.jpg

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2010, 5:43 PM
"This little piece is only 3" x 5."..."

OK... I missed that. I take it back...

Brian Effinger
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Lovely pieces, Frank.
You have proven that utilitarian can be elegant.

"This little piece is only 3" x 5."..."

OK... I missed that. I take it back...

I missed that too, at first. You really are the king of mini, Frank. :)

alex carey
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Frank although it was your piece that pushed me over the edge in trying off center work, I also got my first urge from Terry Scott.

Here is a piece he posted on AAW that I'd love to try and reproduce. Its 31", imagine turning that smallest bowl. That looks like sooo much fun!!!

Matt Ranum
06-04-2010, 8:50 AM
I like all the counterweights, looks like he used anything he could get his hands on including a ball hitch! :p

Frank Van Atta
06-04-2010, 2:54 PM
Alex - Terry truly works farther "out of the box" than most . . . and he creates some beautiful and exceptional pieces.

bob svoboda
06-04-2010, 5:13 PM
Good job on both pieces.

Frank Van Atta
06-04-2010, 9:08 PM
Thank you, Bob.

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2010, 9:44 PM
Great job on both pieces. I like the ring holders.

Frank Van Atta
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Great job on both pieces. I like the ring holders.

They seem to be pretty popular with the wives. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Marc Himes
06-05-2010, 5:55 PM
Both are beautiful pieces Frank. I like the way you stood the dragon on its side.

Marc Himes