PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the bandsaw trigger today

Jim Rimmer
06-01-2010, 5:21 PM
I couldn't stand the temptation of the Grizzly sale any longer so I ordered the G0555X today. Pics will be forthcoming as soon as the saw is.

I scoured this site for mobile base ideas but would appreciate any pics anyone could post. I don't want to buy one and would prefer to make one of wood. TIA for any help.

Garth Keel
06-01-2010, 5:25 PM
I bought the same saw a while ago and I think you will very pleased with it. I also bought the Shop Fox base and though it works OK, I should have built my own. Did you get the extension to bring the resaw capacity up to 12"?

Van Huskey
06-01-2010, 6:00 PM
Congrats! Now it is time to consider blades and get a Carter blade stabilizer, cuts corners like a Formula 1 car!

Bill Huber
06-01-2010, 6:19 PM
Congrats on the saw, that is the saw I would have bought but I got a really good deal on the Jet so I took it. I had to add the fence and quick release to it but still came out ok on the Jet.

Good luck and as was stated get you some blades on order and have some fun.

Will Overton
06-01-2010, 6:34 PM
That's a real nice saw. Congrats, and good luck with it.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2010, 6:41 PM
If it's not too late, get the riser blocks. I have the G0555. With your extra power, and the extra 6" you might be able to postpone your lust for a 17" saw longer than I can.

Also, as far as a mobile base goes, remember that a bandsaw's large height-to-width ratio makes it critical that a mobile base be stable. Especially on some of the 14" saws with less power, it's easy to occasionally find yrself pushing a little harder than you want to. It's easy for the saw to squirrel around. (I know this bkz I made my own substandard base).

I advise you to get a good set of locking casters. I haven't found a shopmade brake for regular casters that works well enough.

Dave Gaul
06-02-2010, 8:25 AM
Although I have not built one myself, I have this site saved on my favorites and will look to these ideas when I do need to make one...

http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/index.html

Bill Huber
06-02-2010, 8:43 AM
I am using one of those bases that you can get from Rockler and many other sites, it works just fine on the Jet.

I hope the motor mount is better on that one then the Jet, if not you may want to look at this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79483&highlight=motor

Jeff Mohr
06-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Great saw!!! I suggest you throw away the factory blade or you'll be frustrated when you try those first cuts.

Jim Rimmer
06-02-2010, 1:42 PM
Thanks for the comments and ideas for bases. I have read a lot of threads on this site and did a lot of comparing between the G0555 and G0555X to see what more I got for $130 more and I think it is worth the difference.

I will order a new blade for it. Right now I can't see the need for the riser blocks unless I go off on another project track but good to know it is an option.

Pics will be posted when I get it.

Roger Newby
06-02-2010, 2:06 PM
I've have had that saw with riser for about 2 1/2 yrs. and really like it. At first I just put it on a plywood base with casters but it is a little too tall. My next project will be a set of drawers with locking casters to lower it down and gain some storage space. The factory base is good and sturdy but the space is wasted. Also thinking about including an extension so I can resaw lumber from short logs. Should make the footprint only about a foot wider. Pics when it is done.

Prashun Patel
06-02-2010, 3:08 PM
Jim-
One thing to consider: if you do eventually want the riser blocks, you'll need to replace any blades you currently have. This has been enough of a deterrent for me. I didn't think I'd want the risers, but could have used them a critical 2 or 3 times already. Anyway, good luck either way.

Jeff Mohr
06-02-2010, 7:31 PM
I have the riser block but haven't assembled it yet....there has been a need a few times but not enough for me to unpack the risers.

Speaking of which..most of what I do is curve cuts with 3/16 blade....does the saw work just as well with the risers?