PDA

View Full Version : Small Koa change bowl

Scott Hackler
06-01-2010, 2:11 PM
Here is a small change bowl that I made from a piece of Koa I received in a wood trade from a Hawaiian member! (Thanks Jamie Oren!). Its about 5 1/2" wide and not all that tall. Blo only and friction polished with shavings.

C & C welcome as usual, thanks.

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/koa1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/koa2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/koa3.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
06-01-2010, 2:13 PM
You've been busy! Nice little change bowl! Very pretty wood! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2010, 2:28 PM
Pretty wood and a nice bowl.

John Keeton
06-01-2010, 2:34 PM
Scott, I really like this form, and that koa is beautiful!! Is that line on the edge burned in? Nice touch! Also, I like the low luster finish - suits the wood and the piece.

Scott Hackler
06-01-2010, 2:37 PM
Yeah that accent line is burnt in with a wire. I find myself doing burn lines more and more in my turnings. Thanks

Thom Sturgill
06-01-2010, 3:28 PM
Not too fond of feet on bowls, but this is the right proportion. I do like the form, undercut rim and accent line. I bought a set of the wires when I started turning, but find myself grabbing a wood cutoff more often than the wires now when I want to burn a line. Good Job!

charlie knighton
06-01-2010, 4:42 PM
very nice....

Roland Martin
06-01-2010, 5:26 PM
Very nice change bowl Scott. Does Koa turn nicely? It seems pretty close to a walnut texture.

Tony De Masi
06-01-2010, 5:30 PM
Very nicely done. That's one wood I'd like to try some time.

Tony

Frank Van Atta
06-01-2010, 6:39 PM
Very nice bowl. If you put on a glossier finish the Koa will show more of its characteristic chatoyance.

Scott Hackler
06-01-2010, 7:38 PM
Very nice change bowl Scott. Does Koa turn nicely? It seems pretty close to a walnut texture.

It was a dream to turn. I thought it was a lot harder than walnut, more like hickory, but that could have been my piece. It was super easy to finish and sand to a silky smooth surface.

I was going to spray the lacquer on it but some how the "matte" finish of Blo only seemed to remind me more of the Koa stuff I saw while in Hawaii last time. This one is MINE, as it reminds me of that paradise that I only get to visit (at least until later in life.... :) )

Thanks for the comments

David E Keller
06-01-2010, 7:42 PM
Nicely done. It looks like a great little change dish. The koa is beautiful(as always), and I like the satin finish.

Cathy Schaewe
06-01-2010, 8:09 PM
I like the form - is there a burn line around the foot too, or is that shadow? Nice, regardless -

Thomas Canfield
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Scott,

Nice form. I prefer to see Koa with more luster and have found buffing with Tripoli after sanding to 400 and then applying about 4 or 5 coats of danish oil/polyurethane 4:1 mix fills the small grain pores and gives a nice luster. The oil really brings out the grain pattern.

Allen Neighbors
06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Beautiful little change bowl!! Nice form, and the burn line along the edge is a nice feature...
Like Roland, I thought it looked a lot like the same texture as walnut... I've turned Koa before, for pens, and it seemed a little harder than black walnut...

Scott Hackler
06-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I like the form - is there a burn line around the foot too, or is that shadow? Nice, regardless -

Yes Cathy there is a burn line on the foot as well. I just looked at the first picture again adn it seems I havent mastered this new camera yet and have a setting wrong, so it blurred part of the bowl. Maybe it was the lens (non Macro, telephoto lens), but the Marco lens shipped today!