PDA

View Full Version : Restoring an old blanket chest

Brian Peters
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Restoring an old blanket chest for a family friend. Never worked on a blanket chest as I've done more cabinetry than furniture (although sometimes they are much of the same). It has been an interesting project, the piece which is at least 60 years old has been sitting around in a damp basement for the last 30. After taking it apart a bit, lots of sanding, cutting a section off both the top and back where the hinges were ripped out and the wood destroyed, replacing badly beaten scrolls on the front which were nailed on! (I glued the new ones I made up to match the profile.

A few things, where could you date a piece that is pre-reliable glue? All of the stuff is nailed on and the boards are all solid wide except for the bottom which is tongue and groove. All of the nails appear to be quite hand made, with some sort of production they are not ones you would see today except on a rustic job. The wood is a very green, heart wood poplar. Although it is unusual poplar that you do not see today so it was hard to find wood to match those I replaced.

Also, it had 4 very stout butt hinges mortised in before, with only one left stamped "Clarkson or Clark & Son", it is hard to make out. I'm more inclined to use a piano hinge rather than the butt hinges, less work but they do look nice for applications like this. Historically however I'm not sure what is more appropriate?

I will post photos tonight. Plan on refinishing it with a dark mahogany stain, vinyl sealer and a post-cat CV. (Krystal)

Thanks.