PDA

View Full Version : Rough Veneer

Tony West
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a project where I am using some figured white oak, which I resawed to about 1/16" thick and intend to veneer onto a piece of solid un-figured white oak.

When I resawed the wood, my setup and technique were not robust and I now have a very rough surface (read, saw blade wandered). I ran it through a drum sander and was able to clean up about 90 percent of the roughness, however if I continue to sand until smooth, I'll have a very thin veneer, and don't know if the sander will damage it or if it will be thick enough in the final project.

I was considering veneering with a vacuum bag and using the urethane glue (gorilla glue) so that it will fill in the voids. I understand that this is not structural, but like I said, 90% of the surface is flat. I just need something to fill the gaps, so I don't end up with waves or gaps along the edges.

I searched the net and here and found very little info on this, so I thought I'd post.

Should I continue to sand risking damage to the veneer? Can I use the urethane glue and make it work? Or is there no way to salvage this mistake? Thanks!

Frank Drew
06-01-2010, 2:16 PM
Tony,

Are both sides of the veneer rough?

Even gap-filling glues can shrink over time; that could lead to unevenness in your veneered surface which would be particularly apparent under finish.

Van Huskey
06-01-2010, 6:30 PM
Use a plastic powdered urea-formaldehyde resin (PPR) for any shop cut veneer, they dry HARD and prevent issues with thicker veneers.

Second, glue it on and use a scraper NOT a sander and you will have a baby butt smooth surface and prevent sandthrough.