PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question, Excel

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 9:32 AM
I use MS Excel to enter data and usually when entering data in a cell in a column that is the same/simular to a previous entry it fill the rest in but highlited. Now it's not doing it, is there a way to turn this on and what is it called in MS Excel. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Pete

Steve Jenkins
11-24-2004, 9:38 AM
I might actually be able to help. go to Tools,options,edit,and make sure the autocomplete box is checked. Hope it works.
Steve

Ted Shrader
11-24-2004, 9:39 AM
Pete -

Try this. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab. Select the Enable AutoComplete for cell values check box.

Good luck,
Ted

Bob Hovde
11-24-2004, 9:52 AM
Autocomplete will work, but it's only semi-auto. It used to put the words in the cell as you typed, changing words as you completed more of the typing. Now it gives you a pull-down with all of the words in it. You have to mouse-click on the one you want. Can anyone tell me how to get it back to the useful method?

Bob

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 9:58 AM
Pete -

Try this. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab. Select the Enable AutoComplete for cell values check box.

Good luck,
Ted

Ted,

That's what I thought too but it is checked. I make a entry (e.g. Sawmillcreek) then go to another cell below that in the column and start typing Sa the rest will get filled and highlited(e.g. Sawmillcreek). The thing is it used to work with the stuff that was already in the wooksheet when it was opened again.

thanks, Pete

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 10:16 AM
I found a work around my problem. What I did was copy all the cells in the column then paste them back in the same spot. Now the Autocomplete seems to work.

Pete

Ted Shrader
11-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Pete -

Must be another one of those MicroSoft quirks. Glad you are back in business.

;) :)

Another cool trick to fill a column quickly is hold down the CTRL key the double click on the little black square at the bottom right of the highlighted cell (the handle). That will fill the data to the bottom cell of your table or to a break in the data where an adjacent cell has already been filled.

Ted

Peter Stahl
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Pete -

Must be another one of those MicroSoft quirks. Glad you are back in business.

;) :)

Another cool trick to fill a column quickly is hold down the CTRL key the double click on the little black square at the bottom right of the highlighted cell (the handle). That will fill the data to the bottom cell of your table or to a break in the data where an adjacent cell has already been filled.

Ted

Ted,

Thanks for the help & the tip. I didn't know MS had quirks! :D

Pete

Peter Stahl
11-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Autocomplete will work, but it's only semi-auto. It used to put the words in the cell as you typed, changing words as you completed more of the typing. Now it gives you a pull-down with all of the words in it. You have to mouse-click on the one you want. Can anyone tell me how to get it back to the useful method?

Bob

What version of Excel do you have? I have Excel 2000 v.9.0 SR-1. My Autocomplete won't work unless I copy and paste the column. What I do is select everything in the column by clicking on the last cell with a entry, scroll up to the top with the scroll bar on the right hold the shift key and click the first cell. This should highlite everything, now hit the Copy button (in the tool bar at the top) then the Paste button. It's a quick but a pain non the less. Didn't know about the drop down list thing. I tried it after doing the copy/paste thing. I have to right click in the cell then select Pick From List... to get the drop down menu. If you type the first letter, let say "T" it will start with the word beginning with T. I guess you're saying your Excel defaults to the dropdown menu.

Pete