PDA

View Full Version : spiral closed end pens

Michelle Rich
06-01-2010, 7:27 AM
These 4 pens are about the fanciest I have ever turned. Some are fluted spirals, some rope spirals. Custom caps & centerbands. The last on the right is a crossing rope design with mother of pearl inlays...These sure were fun & I hope ya'll like them

John Keeton
06-01-2010, 7:43 AM
Michelle, those are really different!! Did you hand carve them with indexed layouts? Eye catching, to say the least!

Roland Martin
06-01-2010, 7:50 AM
Wow, I've never seen pens done like this! Very nice job Michelle.

Keith Outten
06-01-2010, 8:32 AM
Did you use the Pen Wizard?

I just purchased a rope turn router bit for my Pen Wizard and have some Tumbleweed Corian blanks ready to turn. I hope these pens will be as stunning as yours Michelle.

My problem is finding the time, the last few months have kept me so busy I haven't had the time to turn any pens.

Steve Schlumpf
06-01-2010, 8:34 AM
WOW! Those are a first for me! Very nice work - especially the crossing rope design! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Rich
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Did you use the Pen Wizard?

I just purchased a rope turn router bit for my Pen Wizard and have some Tumbleweed Corian blanks ready to turn. I hope these pens will be as stunning as yours Michelle.

My problem is finding the time, the last few months have kept me so busy I haven't had the time to turn any pens.
. Hi keith..look at the size of my spiral flutes and rope..then look at pen wiz bit sizes...no way you can make these deep/tall spirals with those itty bitty bits...tumbleweed corian???? new one on me..what is that?

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Now those are cool. Really well done.

Aaron Wingert
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Michelle that is some beautiful work. Many of us would be thrilled if you'd shine a little light on your methods for doing that rope work. Is it hand carved or done on a jig of some sort?

Keith Outten
06-01-2010, 1:17 PM
Michelle,

However you made the pens the effect is certainly stunning.

Dupont Corian solid surface material is a plastic material sold in sheets that is normally used for kitchen counters. Tumbleweed is one of the Corian colors thar looks a lot like a sandy colored marble. In my mind Corian is one of the best materials for making pens because it is durable and unaffected by oil from your hands. It turns great and polishes easily so there isn't a need to apply a finish. There are lots of pictures of Corian Pens in the SawMIll Creek Store but you won't find Tumbleweed as it is a new color and I have only made a few pens so far.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95535

Michelle Rich
06-01-2010, 6:08 PM
Michelle,

However you made the pens the effect is certainly stunning.

Dupont Corian solid surface material is a plastic material sold in sheets that is normally used for kitchen counters. Tumbleweed is one of the Corian colors thar looks a lot like a sandy colored marble. In my mind Corian is one of the best materials for making pens because it is durable and unaffected by oil from your hands. It turns great and polishes easily so there isn't a need to apply a finish. There are lots of pictures of Corian Pens in the SawMIll Creek Store but you won't find Tumbleweed as it is a new color and I have only made a few pens so far.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95535
. I know what corian is, and figured it might be a color, but unsure..maybe it really had tumbleweeds in it! I've seen pens made from amazing stuff!!! Sorry, I had to run out, and forgot to finish my answer: I made the pens with a router.

David E Keller
06-01-2010, 7:50 PM
Wow, those are some of the cooler pens I've seen in a while. Great wood choices. I may have to figure out how to do that.