PDA

View Full Version : Save printer in Corel

James Terry
05-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Can I save the selected printer as default in Corel or in the actual file somehow? My desktop defaults to a printer that I use for docs and labels and whatnot. So I have to select the Laser every single time I use Corel and that is getting old...

Mike Null
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
As far as I know you can have only one default printer.

Rodne Gold
06-01-2010, 1:51 AM
You might be able to log on as a different user in windows when you use Corel and have a new default printer - never tried it so cant be sure.
However its just one small step extra to select the printer you want to send to , it can't be that much of a schlep?

Frank Corker
06-01-2010, 9:41 AM
I see that since I checked the site this morning an imput has been removed, possibly because it referred to a hacking site. There is a free utility which can be found here - it's a freeware default printer changer for as many programs as you need to use.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/05/29/automatically-change-default-printer-for-different-programs/

Dan Hintz
06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Thought I was losing it (again)...

Dav1d Beck
06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I see that since I checked the site this morning an imput has been removed, possibly because it referred to a hacking site. There is a free utility which can be found here - it's a freeware default printer changer for as many programs as you need to use.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/05/29/automatically-change-default-printer-for-different-programs/

Yes I did link to the same program on a blog about technology "Daily weblog on software and personal productivity recommends downloads, web sites and shortcuts that help you work smarter and save time." not a fourm and well I see he linked to a blog and it just does not have comments on it... what is the difference?

Dan Hintz
06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah, I see the problem... the name of the site, LifeHacker. It's not a hacking site in the software/hardware sense, it's a blog about hacking your life, finding ways to make things easier (such as how to organize your appointments, make Windows work better for you, finding free food joints, etc.). I followed the site for the first few years it was up until the quality of editing went down so far there were glaring errors in their more technical posts.

Dav1d Beck
06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Ah, I see the problem... the name of the site, LifeHacker. It's not a hacking site in the software/hardware sense, it's a blog about hacking your life, finding ways to make things easier (such as how to organize your appointments, make Windows work better for you, finding free food joints, etc.). I followed the site for the first few years it was up until the quality of editing went down so far there were glaring errors in their more technical posts.
Yah I leave it in my rss reader becuase I seem to always find something that I was either looking for or something that could be useful I just quickly glance over it and don't read most of their content... its more like a reference book then a book you read :)

Mike Null
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
David

Because we can't edit content of other forums and blogs we do not permit them on Sawmill Creek.

This is a family forum with many of the younger set as members or viewers and we choose to be very restrictive about such things and language as well.

The site you posted may well be harmless from that standpoint but none of us has time to check on it.

Dan Hintz
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Because we can't edit content of other forums and blogs we do not permit them on Sawmill Creek.
Oh yeah... that, too :D

Martin Boekers
06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
If you print docs and labels less often than the laser why not set the laser as the default?

Marty

Mike Null
06-01-2010, 1:17 PM
Dan

No doubt I could have said that better but too many sites have little regard for content or language and do little to monitor links which may have content not suitable for a family forum.

Dav1d Beck
06-01-2010, 1:27 PM
Alright I understand but why not just do like most sites and either disable links or make it so you hit a landing page that tells you. you are leaving our site we are not responsible for any content on %URL-Veriable%

I get where your coming from but sometimes it just feels selective

Lee DeRaud
06-01-2010, 6:41 PM
Frank's post also points to a (different) blog, so just in case it goes away as well, here's a link to a non-forum/non-blog download site for the same program:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Automatic-Printer-Switcher.shtml

(Assuming anyone remembers the actual subject of this thread...)

Dav1d Beck
06-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Frank's post also points to a (different) blog, so just in case it goes away as well, here's a link to a non-forum/non-blog download site for the same program:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Automatic-Printer-Switcher.shtml

(Assuming anyone remembers the actual subject of this thread...)
I should upload the software here just becuase but I will resist the urge and just quote

Stanley Waldrup
06-02-2010, 8:40 PM
Can I save the selected printer as default in Corel or in the actual file somehow? My desktop defaults to a printer that I use for docs and labels and whatnot. So I have to select the Laser every single time I use Corel and that is getting old...

IN XP Just go to Start - Settings - Printer & Fax. Right Click on the Laser and set as Default. But when you need to print text on your regular printer you will have to set it back. Sometimes you need to do a reboot after you make the changes or at least get out of Corel and restart it..

Works for Me
Stanley
At the NBM Show.......

James Terry
06-02-2010, 8:42 PM
Program works. The zipfile was a little odd; included a setup and a .msi. I didnt run setup, just clicked on the msi. I'll run it for awhile and see if it causes any problems but it seems to do the job with open programs. Not quite sure how it works actually but it does.