PDA

View Full Version : Veritas® MK.II Power Sharpening System?

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 9:26 AM
So, anybody have/use one of these? I've heard a bit about the unit, but just don't know if one could justify all those beans on a spinning piece of sandpaper! :confused: :cool:

Tyler Howell
11-24-2004, 9:47 AM
Hey You like spinny stuff;) !

It's on the Xmas list.
Got lots of hands on time in the Neander class and many hi marks from creekers too. Jason just posted a thread. This is a keeper.

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 9:53 AM
Hey You like spinny stuff;) !

It's on the Xmas list.
Got lots of hands on time in the Neander class and many hi marks from creekers too. Jason just posted a thread. This is a keeper.

Hey, you never mentioned you using one of those in the class! So, is it all it's cracked up to be? :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
11-24-2004, 10:06 AM
John, I've enjoyed mine thus far. If you remember, I did a little review on it, though not that in depth (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13057). The Veritas dosen't have as many do-dad's as the Tormek, but I'd be willing to bet that the results are about the same on what it does do. You can also use buffing/polishing compounds to give an even sharper edge. They go into this in the instructions. If you want to sharpen joniter blades, this won't be the one for you. But if you want something to streamline your sharpening of chisels and planes, I've found this to be the ticket.

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
John, I've enjoyed mine thus far. If you remember, I did a little review on it, though not that in depth (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13057). The Veritas dosen't have as many do-dad's as the Tormek, but I'd be willing to bet that the results are about the same on what it does do. You can also use buffing/polishing compounds to give an even sharper edge. They go into this in the instructions. If you want to sharpen joniter blades, this won't be the one for you. But if you want something to streamline your sharpening of chisels and planes, I've found this to be the ticket.

Thanks for the reminder, Jason! I thought I remembered seeing something on it, but old age is strating to take its toll and couldn't remember exactly when/who! :o Looks like THE system to go with. Sounds like it fills a very specific need and really nice for those of us a bit on the impatient side! :D Thanks again for the info! :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
11-24-2004, 10:45 AM
..The Makita Wet Grinder.
John, you may want to look at this set up, especially the offer from Highland Hardware. The unit itself sells for around $259, but they're running a combo special where you get in addition to the grinder: a green wheel, a hand tool jig, and a set of Narex chisels for about $315. Not a bad deal. Also, someone posted this webesite: http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm (http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm), ...interesting aftermarket adaptations for the Makita system. ALSO, and NOT to be left off the bonus items list, the Makita is the best for sharpening planer and jointer blades (it can handle 16" planer blades).

My 2 1/2 cents worth!

Maurice

Paul Dwight
11-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I've had the Veritas Mk II sharpening system for a little less than a year. It has sharpened every flat-bladed tool in my shop at least once, and has sharpened my favorite tools many times. I love it. Quick and easy to use, quiet, and gives consistently excellent results. I get a better, more consistent edge with the Veritas MkII than I ever achieved with scary sharp.

I have no idea how it compares to other powered sharpeners, though. The Veritas machine is the only one I have used.

I would buy it again.

Hope this helps. -- Paul

Steve Clardy
11-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Had mine just a short while. Nice machine. Gets them tools sharp!!

Chuck Wintle
11-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I've had the Veritas Mk II sharpening system for a little less than a year. It has sharpened every flat-bladed tool in my shop at least once, and has sharpened my favorite tools many times. I love it. Quick and easy to use, quiet, and gives consistently excellent results. I get a better, more consistent edge with the Veritas MkII than I ever achieved with scary sharp.

I have no idea how it compares to other powered sharpeners, though. The Veritas machine is the only one I have used.

I would buy it again.

Hope this helps. -- Paul
Paul,
How well does it work for turning tools? Do you need to free hand the sharpening process for them? I noticed on the Lee Valley site that flat blades have a jig for them but is there anything for gouges etc.

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
..The Makita Wet Grinder.
John, you may want to look at this set up, especially the offer from Highland Hardware. The unit itself sells for around $259, but they're running a combo special where you get in addition to the grinder: a green wheel, a hand tool jig, and a set of Narex chisels for about $315. Not a bad deal. Also, someone posted this webesite: http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm (http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm), ...interesting aftermarket adaptations for the Makita system. ALSO, and NOT to be left off the bonus items list, the Makita is the best for sharpening planer and jointer blades (it can handle 16" planer blades).

My 2 1/2 cents worth!

Maurice

Maurice, thanks for the heads up on the Mak! I've looked and thought of it many times! I like the idea for the jointer/planer blades, but alas, my planer blades are disposables and I'm seriously contemplating converting my jointer to do the same. I know Keith O. swears by his and I'm sure it does a great job. On the other hand, I think the Veritas has primarily been designed around plane and chisel sharpening and I like the idea of gradient steps of grit. I'm thinking it may be a bit faster to the results, as well. (Yeah, like I said...I can be a bit impatient at times and would rather be using the tools than sharpening them!) :) Never know...One of these years, I may end up with both, but for right now, I'm seriously thinking of giving the LV unit the nod. :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
11-24-2004, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Maurice Ungaro]..The Makita Wet Grinder.
Wow Maurice!
Mr Smith is intense. Interesting info
Thanks for posting.

Paul Dwight
11-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Charles,

I haven't tried to sharpen turning tools on the Veritas MkII. It's been well over a year since I last blew the dust off the lathe for spinny work.

From what I can see, one would have to free-hand gouges. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult, though. It's pretty easy to control how aggressively the MKII cuts by how much downward pressure you put on the tool. Seems like one could use light pressure while practicing the movement necessary to sharpen a gouge, and then after practicing for a while, apply enough pressure to remove metal and put a fresh edge on the tool. That's just a guess, though.

-- Paul

Maurice Ungaro
11-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Tyler,
You ain't kiddin'! I'm going to use my grinder for a bit before I start Frankenteining it a la Mr. Smith. I must say, though, he has spent some brain power coming up with his aftermarket add-ons.

Maurice

Jamie Buxton
11-24-2004, 11:37 AM
There's also the Lap-Sharp ---
www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 11:39 AM
www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm

Yikes! And I thought the Tormeck was big buck$$$$! :eek: :cool:

Tyler Howell
11-24-2004, 11:43 AM
www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm (http://www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm)
Doah!!!:eek: Priceeeee!
Anyone tried it???

Tyler Howell
11-24-2004, 11:48 AM
I think the Veritas has primarily been designed around plane and chisel sharpening . :) :cool:
SEEEEE!!! I told you! He's toaste:D :p :D

Clint deal
11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
I have the delta Model 23-710 with the knife grinding attachment. It does pretty good on jointer and planer knifes. I used to sharpen my chisles on it until everybody started talking about the scary sharp method. Once I started using it I stopped using the 23-710 for chisles. I bought the knife attachemnt first though because I had a home made sharpening system I had built using an old Boston Gear reduction set up. I bought the 23-710 later on after I got fed up trying to use my home made jigs.

Clint

Gene Collison
11-24-2004, 11:55 AM
So, anybody have/use one of these? I've heard a bit about the unit, but just don't know if one could justify all those beans on a spinning piece of sandpaper! :confused: :cool:

John,

I seen a demo recently at the Costa Mesa Ca. WW show, it's awesome for chisels and plane irons. The best feature IMO is the repeatability, being able to sharpen a chisel or plane iron without a double bevel and being able to get a square end on every tool you sharpen. I have a Makiita and use it for the same purpose with a Veritas grinding jig. I feel it's not as good for chisels and irons but it does offer versatility that the Veritas doesn't have. Steve Knight uses one or more and takes a 1/4" plane iron to finished in a matter of minutes. So, it works too!
Incidently, I don't recall chisels and planes having tails! Are you possibly lost or something?:)

Gene

Mark Singer
11-24-2004, 12:32 PM
John,

Easy Boy! Take it easy!

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 2:20 PM
John,

Incidently, I don't recall chisels and planes having tails! Are you possibly lost or something?:)

Gene

Gene, I prefer the term "cordless"! :D

Mark, I *AM* taking it easy. Granted, the other stuff was for me but, this is for LOML! No, really! She doesn't know what to get me for Christmas and, seeing as to how I'm the one who'd have to pay for it anyway.... :D :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
11-24-2004, 2:52 PM
Granted, the other stuff was for me but, this is for LOML! No, really! Uh huh....I suppose you're going to tell us she needs it to sharpen her pruning shears?

Maurice

Gene Collison
11-24-2004, 3:33 PM
Gene, I prefer the term "cordless"! :D

Mark, I *AM* taking it easy. Granted, the other stuff was for me but, this is for LOML! No, really! She doesn't know what to get me for Christmas and, seeing as to how I'm the one who'd have to pay for it anyway.... :D :cool:

John,

That's a lot of cheesburgers isn't it for a 78 rpm record changer that uses sandpaper instead of records.

gene

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 4:38 PM
Uh huh....I suppose you're going to tell us she needs it to sharpen her pruning shears?

Maurice

Oh gosh, no! Athough from time to time, she DOES bring home this big pizza slicer blade (looks like a 1/4 moon) from work for me to sharpen! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 4:39 PM
John,

That's a lot of cheesburgers isn't it for a 78 rpm record changer that uses sandpaper instead of records.

gene

No good, Gene; Tried it on my Technics, direct drive turntable and something about the suspension on that thing just couldn't keep things steady enough. No where near the torque needed, either! :D :cool:

Tim Sproul
11-24-2004, 10:32 PM
John,

Steve Knight uses one or more and takes a 1/4" plane iron to finished in a matter of minutes. So, it works too!

Actually....since Steve doesn't frequent SMC so I'll speak up for him.....he does NOT finish up irons on the Makita. Rather, he uses Shapton stones. Just a nit but let's not get folks thinking they can get that refined an edge with the Makita.

I know folks can with either the MK II or the Lap Sharp.

John Miliunas
11-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Actually....since Steve doesn't frequent SMC so I'll speak up for him.....he does NOT finish up irons on the Makita. Rather, he uses Shapton stones. Just a nit but let's not get folks thinking they can get that refined an edge with the Makita.

Yeah, I seem to remember talk of that from back in the "Pond" days. So, on one hand, I can say that, if it's good enough for Steve, it should darn be good enough for me! On the other hand, I don't make a living creating those wonderful planes that he does! Also, what he's got invested in Shapton's, I believe exceeds either, the MK II or even the Lap Sharp! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Gene Collison
11-25-2004, 11:28 AM

I wouldn't use either one to finish a tool but the finest wheel available for the Makita is 6000 grit, the finest for the LV is 1200. You have to cheat on either one to finish. In the case of the LV, use a worn out disc and load it with polish added or in the case of the Makita, use an mdf wheel loaded with polish. Same concept, a slow speed spinning wheel.:):)

Gene

Fred Chan
11-26-2004, 8:00 PM
Hey John, did you consider defeating the suspension springs and using a piece of mdf on top of the platter to give the turntable more of a flywheel effect? I have a direct drive and a belt drive turntable that I had been thinking of trying to convert into a poor man's sharpening center. Was the motor just too underpowered to keep the disk spinning?

David Rose
11-26-2004, 9:52 PM
John,

You mean all this advice and we don't get a review until *after* Christmas??? :eek: C'mon now! What if *my* LOML is considering getting *me* one for Christmas? I think you should tell your LOML that she needs to speed things up for the benefit of your friends. ;) I thought one was coming for my BD and it turned into a fishing trip. Oh, well... May need to get away worse. I know she does.

One thing that I found out when I was asking about this a month or so ago, is that for flattening backs, you will need to improvise somewhat. LV said that the motor would "wilt" if I used my variable speed foot control on it. They do carry a foot controlled off/on switch that will work. I think it would be an iffy job if I put the chisel or iron on the spinning disk. I've gotten away with it some for flattening plane soles on a belt sander, but it is tricky. Just something else to think about.

David who is also tired of scarey sharp and is watching LV intently :D

John Miliunas
11-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey John, did you consider defeating the suspension springs and using a piece of mdf on top of the platter to give the turntable more of a flywheel effect? I have a direct drive and a belt drive turntable that I had been thinking of trying to convert into a poor man's sharpening center. Was the motor just too underpowered to keep the disk spinning?

Fred, I apologize if I misled you or got your hopes up. :o The turntable "effort" was totally tongue-in-cheek. :D My Technics table would be WAY too nice to even attempt something like that. Plus, I really, REALLY think that, even if you could defeat the suspension, there just wouldn't be enough torque. Interesting thought, though! :) :cool:

David Rose
11-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Your Technics table would *not* be too nice for such a project! What an attitude! Send that sucker down here and we'll rip 'er up and give it a shot! If the torque is low, we'll zap 'er with some 240! I'll bet we can get some power out of it for a few seconds anyway. After that... well, you don't care about what is left I'm sure. :D

David

Fred, I apologize if I misled you or got your hopes up. :o The turntable "effort" was totally tongue-in-cheek. :D My Technics table would be WAY too nice to even attempt something like that. Plus, I really, REALLY think that, even if you could defeat the suspension, there just wouldn't be enough torque. Interesting thought, though! :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
11-29-2004, 1:49 PM
John,

Have you looked at the Woodcraft version? http://tinyurl.com/6pagt

It's just $89.99, plus another $36.99 for the planer/jointer jig, which it sounds like you don't want anyway.

The difference in price would buy you this really nifty LV Low Angle Jack Plane -- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49708&category=1,41182,48944&ccurrency=2&SID= -- or a whole slew of used Stanleys. :D

John Miliunas
11-29-2004, 2:14 PM
John,

Have you looked at the Woodcraft version? http://tinyurl.com/6pagt

It's just $89.99, plus another $36.99 for the planer/jointer jig, which it sounds like you don't want anyway.

The difference in price would buy you this really nifty LV Low Angle Jack Plane -- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49708&category=1,41182,48944&ccurrency=2&SID= -- or a whole slew of used Stanleys. :D

Tom, I've looked at that puppy every time I go in there! I've also solicited for feedback, as well as constantly ask my buddies over at Woodcraft for their opinions on it. Got zero feedback and none of the guys at the store are willing to go "ga-ga" over it. I told one of the "old-timers" in there that I was going to get the Veritas instead and his face just lit up! :) Guess that may tell the "rest of the story"! :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
11-29-2004, 6:02 PM
Got zero feedback and none of the guys at the store are willing to go "ga-ga" over it. I told one of the "old-timers" in there that I was going to get the Veritas instead and his face just lit up! :) Guess that may tell the "rest of the story"!
Yeah, sounds like all the info you need on that one.:(

BTW, how much stuff do you have to sharpen anyhow?

Rich Konopka
11-30-2004, 6:53 AM

John:

I have the DVD from Leonard Lee on sharpening and he doesn't even use the Mach II in the video. Hmmmmmmmmm :confused:

I would recommend the video to anyone who is interested in learning to sharpen the electron free method.

Cheers

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 8:18 AM
Yeah, sounds like all the info you need on that one.:(

BTW, how much stuff do you have to sharpen anyhow?

Good question, Tom. Up until now, I haven't done a whole lot of sharpening! I did use Scary Sharp on a couple Marples chisels I have and, though I like the results, I find that I probably don't do it often enough. I'm pretty intent on learning MORE of the (shhhhhhh!) Neander ways, so I see myself doing a lot more sharpening. That then brings me around to the time thing. Just not enough of it. I'd rather spend less time sharpening and more time working on expanding my skills and applying them to projects! Hence, the MKII should be here tomorrow! :D I still intend on using SS for final honing and maybe just leave a couple fine grits setup to hone chisels and such as I'm working. :)

Oh, and I'm STILL wondering about a decent (read as: NOT too expensive!) set of 4 or 6 chisels. I've got the cheapie Marples, which are OK, but don't hold an edge worth a hoot. :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
11-30-2004, 8:28 AM
" still intend on using SS for final honing and maybe just leave a couple fine grits setup to hone chisels and such as I'm working. :) "

-John, don't overlook Japanese waterstones for that final honing. They work at a surprisingly fast rate. you'l donly need a couple of grits, like 4000 & 8000, and they're reasonably priced (unless you're like Chris P, and spring for the WHOLE Shapton system :eek: ).

Maurice

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 8:34 AM
" still intend on using SS for final honing and maybe just leave a couple fine grits setup to hone chisels and such as I'm working. :) "

-John, don't overlook Japanese waterstones for that final honing. They work at a surprisingly fast rate. you'l donly need a couple of grits, like 4000 & 8000, and they're reasonably priced (unless you're like Chris P, and spring for the WHOLE Shapton system :eek: ).

Maurice

I may just go ahead and try that at some point. For right now, I just got some Micro-abrasive sheets from Tools for Working Wood and a beautiful lapping plate from my pal, Tyler. Think I'll use that. :) Heck, if I had Chris P.'s money, I'd throw mine away and get the Shaptons, a Tormeck and even keep the MK II! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
11-30-2004, 9:55 AM
John, when are you going to get the Veritas system? My bride asked me what I want for Christmas. I'd suggest that but I want your feedback first. Come on, come on. Christmas is only 25 days away. :D

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 10:22 AM
John, when are you going to get the Veritas system? My bride asked me what I want for Christmas. I'd suggest that but I want your feedback first. Come on, come on. Christmas is only 25 days away. :D

According to FedEx tracking, should be here TOMORROW!!! :D :D :D I'll let you know.... :)

BTW, how is that shop....errrrrr....New house prospect going? :) :cool:

Dave Richards
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
John, I'm looking forward to your report.

Right now the new house thing is going slowly. Kari's still shopping. We're talking about building a house plan we had drawn a few years ago. Back then we had a lot that turned out to be smaller than was indicated on the surveyor's drawing. The house didn't fit but we liked the plan better than the lot so bailed on the lot.

If we build it now, I might end up with a stand alone building or possibly prestressed concrete for the garage floor with the shop beneath it. I guess I could manage with a three car garage sized shop. :D

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 11:50 AM
If we build it now, I might end up with a stand alone building or possibly prestressed concrete for the garage floor with the shop beneath it. I guess I could manage with a three car garage sized shop. :D

You SURE now?! :eek: That would be quite nice, but if you do, make sure you provide your own seperate HVAC for the area, so that you're not circulating the shop dust back through the house. You know...With baby and all! :) :cool:

Dave Richards
11-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah, we thought about that before baby was even a gleam. In floor heat for the shop and separate AC for sure.

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 1:11 PM
Yeah, we thought about that before baby was even a gleam. In floor heat for the shop and separate AC for sure.

In floor heat is the greatest! :) Now, if you have a Sam's club nearby, just set yourself up with a bunch of those padded, interlocking squares and save your feet, too! Then you'll be all set. At right about $0.50 sq/ft. you just can't go wrong. I'd be lost without them and even helps with keeping your feet a bit toastier on a floor w/o radiant heat. :) :cool: