PDA

View Full Version : Blacksmithing Apprenticeship In Japan

Stanley Covington
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I also pasted this on the Woodcarvers Forum, but I think this applies here also.

I currently reside in Tokyo and recently visited the forge of one of Japan's foremost carving tool and chisel blacksmiths, a genial craftsman with the trademark of Konubu (hidari no Konobu). He is the third generation in a line of craftsmen at this forge. A link to his webpage, albeit simple, follows. http://www1.ttcn.ne.jp/~hide4.2/index.htm (http://www1.ttcn.ne.jp/%7Ehide4.2/index.htm)

I ordered $2,900 worth of custom-forged carving tools and specialized woodworking chisels from him to my specifications. He is pretty busy right now with annual orders from religious statuary carvers, so I don't expect to see anything until late August. During my visit, we talked about a lot of things: water vs oil quenching, the merits/demerits of moly and tungsten in steel alloy, natural vs manmade sharpening stones, the fine line a carving tool blacksmith must walk between a durable cutting edge and sharp one, and the popularity of CNC mills (he doesn't use them, performing all shaping and finishing by hand using wheel grinders and files. Very pretty work BTW).

Another subject we discussed was the difficulty of finding young men that wanted to learn the ancient skills of traditional blacksmithing and work in the trade. While he appears to be in his mid to late 40's, he told me he is 63, and that the time was approaching when he would not be able to continue.

If you know of anyone that would be interested in apprenticing under this fine craftsman, let me know. He doesn't speak English, so those interested must be diligent, patient, and intelligent. The training in this dying art would be invaluable. I wish I was a young man again and had the chance to learn the trade from master like him.

I am happy to answer questions online, but please PM private information. I don't check the forum often, so please be patient if it some time passes between question and answer.

Christian Castillo
06-01-2010, 3:21 AM
Send me more information, I'm in my early 20s and I've thought about this in the past, but my extremely basic knowledge of Japanese ( I took 4 semesters in High School and hardly remember anything now, but if I refresh I can pick it up really fast) have held me back.

Stanley Covington
06-01-2010, 4:54 AM
Send me more information, I'm in my early 20s and I've thought about this in the past, but my extremely basic knowledge of Japanese ( I took 4 semesters in High School and hardly remember anything now, but if I refresh I can pick it up really fast) have held me back.

Christian:

A little bit of Japanese in high school is much better than nothing.

I would need to discuss the details with Konobu. It will take a lot of work by him and me to make arrangements, so please tell me a something about you. A private message is best. Background. Experience. Motivation, Expectations; Future plans. How long you could dedicate to it. How hard you are willing to work. What you would want to learn. Family situation. Military or other obligations. Etc.

The way I have seen these things work in the past in other industries is that Konobu would sponsor a trainee visa after he was satisfied that you had the necessary potential and commitment. He would help you find housing not far from work. You would be expected (I think) to work with him every day he does, and every hour that he does. Maybe more. The training would begin with fairly menial labor: cleaning, hauling, etc to familiarize you to the workplace. He would then teach you the process gradually in accordance with your aptitude. How long would this take? I don't know. Not months. But I am certain it would be a waste of everyone's time and goodwill to start something that can't be finished.

This would be hot, dirty, hand work, not standing in front of a pretty CNC lathe.

Still interested?

Stan

george wilson
06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
You'd better be rich if going to stay in Japan. Years ago,the museum sent 3 craftsmen to Japan to do some demonstrations. They went through their food allotment money in just a few days. I think a cup of coffee was $5.00,or so,and orange juice was $10.00. You'd best learn to eat like a Japanese,like fish and rice!!

Frank Drew
06-01-2010, 2:57 PM
Christian,

Good for you if you can do it, but be prepared for a level of seriousness that's not very common here in the States. The Japanese carpenters I've worked with (on an extended job here in the U.S.) were totally dedicated to their work -- to the exclusion of just about everything else -- and were extremely hard working, extremely efficient, and worked at a very high level of craftsmanship.

As Stanley implied, a proper apprenticeship would be measured in years, not weeks or months; are you prepared to live in a VERY different foreign country for an extended period?

Christian Castillo
06-02-2010, 1:08 AM
Yeah, the economic concern is my primary one at the moment. Otherwise, I can live off lentils and grains with no problem. Coincidentally, my parents are coastal South American immigrants, and our diet is largely fish and rice, so fish and rice sounds good to me :D.

Robert Trotter
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
The cost of living in Japan is not as high as many may believe. unless trying to live in the middle of Tokyo. But it depends on what you want. To live and eat the same as in the states then it will be more expensive. But living "local" and eating Japanese (which is more than rice and fish - but many eat that, too) you can try many different things and eat at a reasonable cost although it will be more than the US. Chicken is cheap!:)

If you apprenticed, I am sure you'll be a bit in the country, not in the middle of Tokyo. So, accomodation which sounds like it might be arranged for you, should be reasonable, although small.

Japan is a great place with many aspects to it. If you are adaptable then you'll have no worries other than language.

Rob

Sam Takeuchi
06-02-2010, 1:59 PM
Christian, if you are considering doing this, but haven't been to Japan, I really recommend taking a trip there to see and even meet your future master. It's a big move, and as with any apprenticeship in Japan, it'll most likely be pretty strict and you might not even given specific instruction on how to do things. Of course it depends on trade and master, often times apprentices are expected to learn by watching. Probably you won't have much time for yourself, so you really need to be prepared to dedicate your life into this, at least until you are competent and can start your own forge (like others say, it'll be least several years or even 10).

If your only concern is money, like Rob says, it's not as expensive as many people make it sound like. You'll be living there, so you won't certainly be drinking coffee at coffee shop or eating out every day. Not many ordinary people of any country would do that. Food is actually not that expensive in Japan, but I really advise you not to get into a habit of living on instant noodles. They are convenient/quick, cheap, taste good and choice is massive, but still unhealthy. The thing that makes Japan quite expensive place is the rent (and commute if you have to use public transport). But I would expect your master will arrange something nearby or at least help you find a place close by.

If you need some help with translation or info about Japan (or other things), let me know. I'm sure Stanley can help you with stuff too.

David Weaver
06-02-2010, 3:04 PM
And to specify for certain, money isn't everything. If you find something you love to do, the hours will only bother you marginally if they are long, and maybe not at all. If it pays enough for you to live and turn on the heat and buy food, you can figure the rest out.

You only go around one time, you know?

I would imagine that a lot of these masters are in a pinch to find guys who want to do hard physical work intertwined with demanding standards.

Of course, if it really isn't something you'd want to do, then the fact that it's interesting on the surface won't really make a difference.