PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw gloat and advice needed on tune up

Nathan Callender
05-31-2010, 9:33 PM
Hey all - I just picked up a display model for the Ridgid 14" bandsaw for a really good price. It was assembled very poorly as most of the display items from the borg are, so I am planning on a complete reassembly to make sure everything is put together correctly. While I'm at it, I figure I might as well do any upgrades that I'll want later on - guides, fence, etc. Here's where I need help:

1. Are there any good comprehensive web resources on how to tune up this particular saw? I've read a few threads about problems common to this saw like the base needing reinforcement, but I haven't found a complete step by step guide on all the things that need to be done with this particular unit.

2. What parts should I plan to just replace right away? Tires? Guides? Base?

3. Is the riser block worth getting? I am new to the band saw so I really don't know what I need, but is it worth putting a riser block on this saw, and if so, which one should I go with?

4. Is a fence worth getting, or should I just plan to make a shop-built fence?

Thanks for the feedback!

Van Huskey
05-31-2010, 9:50 PM
First, no pics = didn't happen... :D

1. don't know of any for this saw but there may be, first thing I would do is make sure the wheels are balanced, a known issue with some of those.

2. Best thing to do is run it and see what if any problems you have, address those first then consider the upgrade path based on what are the weak links and what you plan to do with the saw.

3. For me personally the idea of resawing over 6" with only 3/4hp would be like pulling teeth but to each hs own. I would at least wait until I had a reason to try to resaw over 6"

4. Shop made fences are fine but I like the Kreg version

Good luck and lets see those picks!

Lance Norris
05-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Nathan... all you want to know and a whole lot more can be found at Ridgids woodworking forum. I have this saw as a second bandsaw and it is a fine saw with some tuning and tweeks. I make lots of bandsawn boxes with it and have a Grizzly riser kit on mine. I can cut 10" thick blocks with it fairly easily. Its a good bandsaw, used within its limitations. It wont be a resaw monster with a 3/4 horse motor, but for a hobby shop, should give good service for many years. Remember, its a clone of the original Delta style cast iron saw, and all the accessories for the Delta, Jet, Grizzly...etc, will fit the Ridgid.

Nathan Callender
06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've found some web pages with good tune up and tips for common problems to the saw, and I've decided to purchase the following upgrades:

New blades (of course)
Cool blocks
Stiffen the base and add casters, or build a new base (I'd like to change the height anyway)
Link belt

I'll be completely reassembling the saw and checking all the alignments. I've already spotted one issue - the blade guard is warped a little, but I think I can bend it back to shape.

I'm still undecided on the riser kit. My dilema is that if I get a good set of blades now, and then add the riser kit later, I'll have to buy new blades, but I guess they aren't nearly as costly as good table saw blades, so that's not an issue. Any comments on which way I should go here. I really have no idea how much I'm going to want to resaw, so I'm looking for your thoughts on whether resawing pieces greater than 6" is a very useful feature or not.

Rob Fargher
06-02-2010, 1:39 AM
Any comments on which way I should go here. I really have no idea how much I'm going to want to resaw, so I'm looking for your thoughts on whether resawing pieces greater than 6" is a very useful feature or not.

Well, if you don't get the riser block, you can't saw anything over 6", whether it is re-sawing or not.

I bought a General International 90-125M1 the other year. It's General's clone version of the standard 14" bandsaw. It has some nice touches (rack + pinion on the guide post, tension quick release lever). I bought the 6" riser with the saw, thinking, like you, that I might as well buy the right blades at the outset.

I find that I rarely use the full 12" sawing capacity but that I commonly saw 7'" or 8" blocks. I make bandsaw boxes and the extra capacity is very handy.

Are you a woodturner? Having the capacity that the riser block gives you would make it a more capable machine for preparing bowl blanks for turning.

--
Cheers,
Rob

Nathan Callender
06-02-2010, 8:18 AM
I'm not a wood turner (yet :-) ). I am worried about the frame flexing too much with the riser block - is this a problem with these saws, or just an internet myth?

If the riser kit is the way to go, any suggestions on where I can purchase? I know Grizzly carries them, but anywhere else?

Lance Norris
06-02-2010, 4:51 PM
I am worried about the frame flexing too much with the riser block - is this a problem with these saws, or just an internet myth?

If the riser kit is the way to go, any suggestions on where I can purchase? I know Grizzly carries them, but anywhere else?

Nathan... flex in the column is not a myth, but also not really anything to be concerned about. If you were going to resaw alot with a cast iron saw, you can get good results using a 1/2" blade. Bigger blades can stand more tension, and more tension gives better results for resawing. Cast iron saws are not as strong in the spine as steel frame saws, but many people resaw with cast saws with 1/2" blades and get good results.
As far as the riser, sure there are other places for a riser kit. Price Ridgids kit. Its $160. Not just any riser kit works. There are alignment pins that have to line up for it to work. The riser kit from Grizz is $60 and we know it works. Its H3051.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79335

Steve Bigelow
06-02-2010, 5:03 PM
Congrats on your new purchase! A 14" saw is a great starter saw, and for a lot of us (I still have mine) it's all the saw that's required.

Pick up "The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird. Tons of great advice there. He'll walk you through the entire setup and tuning of your bandsaw. This will alleviate a lot of the frustrations normally associated with getting a new bandsaw.

See
http://www.amazon.com/Bandsaw-Book-Lonnie-Bird/dp/1561582891

Howard Acheson
06-02-2010, 10:47 PM
The first thing to do is to purchase either Mark Duginske's book The New Complete Guide to the Band Saw or Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book. Amazon will have them.

Both will tell you how to set up and align your saw. There are also information about the blades you will need. Finally there is lots of good info on getting the best out of your saw.

Nathan Callender
06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the comments and tip on the grizzly riser block. I guess I don't envision resawing 12" boards a lot, but I'm sure there are a lot of 7-8" boards that would be nice to resaw, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it - if it flexes too much, I can always take it off.

Also, thanks on the references to those books - just ordered them - they were exactly what I was looking for and now it should be pretty straight forward to set up.