PDA

View Full Version : Definition Needed: Bench Plane

Mark Hulette
05-31-2010, 9:01 PM
I have an older plane (metal) that I'm not sure how to categorize. Is there a set criteria for determining the differences between planes?

The plane I have is 14" long with metal body.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Joel Goodman
05-31-2010, 9:05 PM
Typically a 14" plane is a jack plane -- if it's a Stanley it will say #5 on it and the blade will be 2" wide. A jack plane is a one of many sizes of bench planes, so yes it's a bench plane.

David Nelson1
05-31-2010, 9:26 PM
I have an older plane (metal) that I'm not sure how to categorize. Is there a set criteria for determining the differences between planes?

The plane I have is 14" long with metal body.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Most likely you have a bench plane by the size you have quoted. Below is a link to site that pretty much has Stanley planes.

http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/

There are basically 2 different type planes a block plane which is a palm sized plane that has a low angle blade used for trim and much smaller work. The bench plane is the work horse and different planes can be used to rough out surfaces right up to putting a very keen surface that should not require sanding. Bench planes from Stanley go from 1-8 1-4 are finishing or smoothers while 5-6 are for rougher work, 7 & 8 are jointer.

Other planes to look at are 9, 9 1/2, 60, and 61 these are all examples of block planes. Look @ a 62 this is a bench plane with a low angled blade.

Good luck!

Mark Hulette
05-31-2010, 9:48 PM
Joel and David- thanks for the quick replies!! I've searched a little here on the Creek but there's just so much info on here... well you know how it goes.

I posted a while back that I'm taking a chairmaking class at the Windsor Institute in July and I'm working on my tool list.

I don't have the plane in front of me but I wasn't able to see any markings on it- the thing is probably nearly 70 years old.

I do apprecite the help!! Thanks!

David Nelson1
05-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Post a pic we might be able to help you ID it.

Bill Houghton
05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
"The Hand Plane Book" (Garrett Hack) and "Planecraft" (Hampton and Clifford) are good books to give you an overall orientation. The first may be at your local library or, used, from one of the online booksellers; the second you can get from Woodcraft or, used, from one of the online booksellers.

Mark Hulette
06-01-2010, 9:03 AM
Post a pic we might be able to help you ID it.

I don't have one readily available but I'll try to get one up so you can edu-ma-cate me!! :)

David Nelson1
06-01-2010, 9:17 AM
Cool beans dude. As far as edu-ma-cating ya goes, my database has many many blank kernels and could use a a good defraging so count on the forum:D

harry strasil
06-01-2010, 3:27 PM
According to my Old Mentor and other older WWers I have visited with. A Jack plane sharpened with a 1/8 camber to its 2 inch blade, was referred to as a BENCH Plane, as it was always on the bench and it was generally the first and most often used plane, because it was used to hog off lots of material in dimensioning material due to its cambered blade, ie, it was used more or less like a SCRUB plane. Also in Lieu of a Furring plane, as the blade was set rank enough so that any dirt, sand etc did not affect the edge of the blade as much. They were generally not a pristine example of their type of plane due to its use. Rough priliminary work.

FWIW