PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Harpsichord Land

Ernie Miller
05-31-2010, 8:14 PM
Hi all,

I've been a member for a while and when I ran across the name George Wilson amongst the membership I knew it was time to say hello and introduce myself. I'm Ernie Miller and my wife Sandy and I retired to Eastern North Carolina 6 years ago from New York. We were both choral music teachers and, in addition, I spent a lot of time tuning and restoring pianos for a living. In the early 1980's I discovered harpsichords and have been building them ever since. In 2004 we left the piano business and retired to North Carolina where I spend 8 to 10 hours a day in the shop building harpsichords. My wife does all of the decorative painting on the instruments and we're enjoying our "retirement" immensely. I hope to learn a lot from the talented people on this site, in particular, Mr. Wilson, whose talent I will never have but whose inspiring work I will always value.

I know you all like pictures, so here's one of my latest instruments.

http://www.ernestmillerharpsichords.com/images/spidersinglebrown.jpg

Richard Wolf
05-31-2010, 8:26 PM
Absolutely outstanding. I have never been very musical, but have always been amazed and interested in the harpsichord after seeing them built in Williamsburg. I tip my hat to you and your wife.

Richard

Rick Markham
05-31-2010, 8:34 PM
Wow!!! That has to be one of the most amazing pieces I have ever seen!!! I wasn't aware that anyone still built harpsichords, That is truly an amazing piece of artwork! You and your wife are incredibly talented!!! Welcome to the Creek! Glad to have ya here :D

Dave MacArthur
05-31-2010, 8:40 PM
Wow, that is beautiful! Welcome! I'd love to see some close ups of the paint on the side, and under the top where the words are.

Did you do all the turning for legs, etc.? What do you build the body out of? Is there a lot of veneering, or does the outer paint preclude that? Do you have to build the action inside, or is that bought made?

As you can see, you have a LOT to teach us that would be interesting reads! Looking forward to any posts you care to make on harpsichord building.

John Mark Lane
05-31-2010, 8:51 PM
Hello Mr. Miller, and greetings from a life-long fan of Johann Sebastian Bach! I have always wanted a harpsichord. Maybe you'll inspire me...your prices on your website are remarkably reasonable, knowing the work that goes into such an instrument.

For your mild amusement, a photo of my daughter at "her" piano. She just turned 8, and spends all her free time at the piano. The hardest part is keeping her focused on reading instead of "composing", which she takes quite seriously.

Do you also play?

Mark

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/IMG_0241.jpg

And in innards...

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/IMG_0464.jpg

Jeff Willard
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
George pops in here from time to time, but I don't know how closely he monitors this forum. If you want to get his attention, the Neanderthal forum might get you a quicker result.

george wilson
05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Hello,Ernie. That looks like a very nice harpsichord!!! Is it a French model? I haven't studied harpsichords for decades,but built a few Italian types,and the rest English,being in Williamsburg. I'm guessing yours isn't Flemish since I don't see the registers protruding from the cheek,but I could be wrong.It certainly looks Flemish except for that. Perhaps a later model?

I've always said that you have to be a glutton for punishment to be a harpsichord maker!! I wonder how many people realize the number of parts in one.

The painting really looks great. Can you post close up pictures? I enjoyed seeing your work.

Jeff Willard
05-31-2010, 10:57 PM
...the Neanderthal forum might get you a quicker result.

Or not.:eek:

Van Huskey
05-31-2010, 11:30 PM
WOW, very impressed!!!

Like John I am also a Bach fan and could listen to someone like Angela Hewitt play "The 48" on a harpsichord probably in one sitting though my ears would probably last far longer than her fingers!

george wilson
05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Have you ever heard"The Harmonious Blacksmith"? It is one of those songs that is repeated several times,each time getting incredibly more complex.

Ernie Miller
05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Richard,Van, and Rick: Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, there are still a few of us diehards left. Last I heard there are about 30 professional builders in the U.S.

Dave: I'll be glad to post some closeups as soon as I figure out how to add pictures to an album. Yes, I turned all the legs myself - you get a little loopy after turning 14 legs. The case is made of poplar and there is no veneering. The marbled panels are a faux marbling technique done with paint. All of the parts are made in the shop except for the strings, tuning pins, and jacks. While I have made my own wooden jacks, I don't build enough instruments to have acquired the necessary skill level to produce them in bulk so I stay with commercially manufactured jacks - for the time being.

John: Love the picture of your daughter at the piano. Reminds me of my two when they were young. They have their own kids now and I gave the oldest grandchild her 1st harpsichord for her 3rd birthday. It's only got 2 octaves and has tiny keys that an adult couldn't play, but it's a real, working harpsichord. Here it is:

http://www.ernestmillerharpsichords.com/images/174big.gif
George: It's an honor to speak to you. I've enjoyed your video showing the building of a spinet and a violin more times than I care to admit. The instrument is Flemish, 2x8, buff stop, but the builder is not a purist - I prefer hand stops. Starting harpsichord building rather late in life, I've concentrated on Flemish and French instruments and have never built an Italian or English. I'll be happy to post some more pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. The picture I posted is linked to my website. Thanks so much for your kind words.

Jeff: Thank you, George found me!:)

Ernie

Van Huskey
06-01-2010, 9:02 AM
Have you ever heard"The Harmonious Blacksmith"? It is one of those songs that is repeated several times,each time getting incredibly more complex.

Yes, Handel's Suite 5! The 32nds in both hands near the end are quite spectacular. Nothing like Baroque ornamentation.

Ernie, the childs harpsichord is really cool.

Ernie Miller
06-01-2010, 9:36 AM
Hi all,

Here are a few closeups some of you asked for.

Ernie

Mike Cruz
06-01-2010, 9:41 AM
Ahhhhh.......Bach.

Alan Schaffter
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Ernie lives 10 minutes down the road from me. I've seen his harpsichords in various stages of completion- they are even more amazing when you see them up close. And yes, he can play them too. He is a craftsman and I certainly can't teach him anything. I did fix his DC, however! :D

He has offered to help me build (tune) a vibraphone. That should be a trip- the sum of my musical talents are to turn on the radio!

Bruce Page
06-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Welcome to SMC.
Incredible craftsmanship Ernie. I can’t even imagine the work that goes into building a harpsichord. I had a childhood neighbor whose family had an English harpsichord; I loved to hear his mother play.

George Wilson is one of our prized resources. ;)

Belinda Barfield
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Beautiful, Ernie, just beautiful!

george wilson
06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Tell me,Ernie,how was the elaborate repeating pattern done on the nameboard,and around the inside of the case. I once made a clavichord with block printed paper designs applied to the case. I had also made the printing block. Sorry,I never was strong enough about taking photographs,so have none of it.

I do have photos of a Kirkman harpsichord,but an apprentice of mine,who thought he was a great photographer took them. the pictures were taken by candle light on fast film,so they are not of the best quality. I'll have to dig them out and scan them.

That child's harpsichord is very charming,indeed,and you have a beautiful workshop. Or,should I call it a lab,it is so like the workshops in the dept. of conservation in the museum.

Bill LaPointe
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. You and your wife are truly artists!

Ernie Miller
06-01-2010, 1:08 PM
George,

As you suggested, the repeating patterns are applied, block printed papers which are available commercially. Unfortunately, they come in one standard size which rarely fits the allotted space well. I scan the original papers into my computer and resize them for a custom fit. I print them out on 80lb paper. As the color of the originals are too modern looking for my taste I stain them with 1 coat of pecan penetrating stain, followed by 3 or 4 coats of orange shellac until they reach the color I'm looking for. When they are completely dry, I cut them to size and apply to the case using cold hide glue.

I'd love to see whatever pictures you find and, if you don't mind, I'd love to ask a few questions myself from time to time. Here in North Carolina, there is no one I can talk to about harpsichords and it's easy to stagnate and stop learning. And there is so much to learn.........

As for my workshop, it is 23'x32' and I wish it were bigger - who doesn't?
On the other hand, it's here in my home and I'm most fortunate to have it.

Ernie

Tell me,Ernie,how was the elaborate repeating pattern done on the nameboard,and around the inside of the case. I once made a clavichord with block printed paper designs applied to the case. I had also made the printing block. Sorry,I never was strong enough about taking photographs,so have none of it.

I do have photos of a Kirkman harpsichord,but an apprentice of mine,who thought he was a great photographer took them. the pictures were taken by candle light on fast film,so they are not of the best quality. I'll have to dig them out and scan them.

That child's harpsichord is very charming,indeed,and you have a beautiful workshop. Or,should I call it a lab,it is so like the workshops in the dept. of conservation in the museum.

george wilson
06-01-2010, 1:17 PM
I lived in Wilkesboro,N.C. for about 6 years. It can be a cultural desert for exotic instruments !! I was in my workshop building a lute,when some local came to see me. My wife told him I was in the shop working on my lute. He gave a puzzled look,and came into the shop. he said "what's that?" I said "a lute." He didn't ask further. I think he thought I was counting my(non existent) LOOT.

I was found out by Colonial Williamsburg when I was teaching at Penland Craft School for 2 Summers. I had an Italian harpsichord I'd just made. Someone who knew the director of craft shops in Wmsbg. told him about my work. That was my lucky break. It was in 1968.

I see from the detail pics that you put the shifting levers on the name board,as you said. I wasn't sure if it was Flemish from the lack of them in the first picture.

You also used the "Music is the gift of God" quote on the lid.

Very nice looking job on making the paper look like wood. Unless you were very close,I don't think it would be seen. It would take the patience of a saint to hand paint those borders!!!