PDA

View Full Version : Large segmented platter

Randy Gazda
05-31-2010, 6:54 PM
I have been working on this one for a while. It is 23" x 1.5" (cd is photos for scale). May be used as a wallhanging vs. a platter. The good news is I learned a lot; including this being my first outboard turning. The bad news for me is I misaligned some of my segments:mad:. I going to attempt a second one and see if I can get the segments in better alignment this time. The finish is salad bowl with a final coat of spray on poly, the woods are walnut and maple (a little bit of curl to the hard maple).

Brian Brown
05-31-2010, 7:02 PM
That is a very nice piece, misaligned segments or not. Looking forward to the next one.

Roland Martin
05-31-2010, 7:23 PM
Very nice work Randy. Alignment can be very tricky, but other than that, I'd say the segmenting is great and a very good looking piece overall!

Robert McGowen
05-31-2010, 7:47 PM
That is a very nice pattern and rather large for a segmented piece. I hope that it does not come apart on you with the large cross grain joints. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

David E Keller
05-31-2010, 7:49 PM
Great design. It looks great to me... The slightly misaligned sections just confirm that it was handmade.

John Keeton
05-31-2010, 8:43 PM
Very nice design! Lot of work involved in these segmented pieces, and I admire all you guys that do them.

Randy, I would have some of the same concern as Robert on the cross grain arrangement on some of this. But, it is going to be difficult to get this pattern without some of that.

Great job!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2010, 9:24 PM
Randy that is one pretty piece. Well done.

Harvey Ghesser
05-31-2010, 9:56 PM
Lot's of work involved here and it shows! Nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Randy - really like the design! Would make a great piece of wall art! Really like the size and woods used! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Donny Lawson
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice piece of work. I wish i could make one that looked half as nice as that one.It showes that you have some great tallent.
Donny

Michelle Rich
06-01-2010, 7:01 AM
that is quite bold..I love segmenting, so I know that was a tough build at that size..thanks for sharing

Tony De Masi
06-01-2010, 9:08 AM
Real nice piece Randy. I would be a bit concerned about the cross grain as well but as was stated it would be hard to not have it with this design. Time will tell and I hope time is on your side.

Tony

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Randy, you've obviously worked long and hard at this - your passion for segmenting shows. But as others have written, "cross-grain" is a problem. This may stay together for a very long time, but just as easily, it could show signs of stress within weeks. There's no way to accurately predict. For this reason, I and others avoid segmented platters; they are just too risky. The only exception is to use a linear lamination, but of course, you would not be able to create this type of design. Wood movement is the curse of segmenting. I'll cross my fingers for your platter's survival.